OGXbox.com

V1.0 XBox Flashing Red and Orange After Ram Upgrade

rawlor

7 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Like I said your up the sh!te creek.

Ewwwww.

I still bet it's just a (several!) solder bridge(s). I would start by just set up your iron with a small flat tip and clean the joints. If you have a cellphone which have a macro function or just one with a slightly better cam you could use that to look at the joints (you could also provide better pics and maybe upload them somewhere else (imgur.com) to get arround the 2MB limit ;) ).

And @ Dave: About the linked topic with the 1.2 xbox, you see that pads are bridging.

Btw. Ppl. think thats a easy task to update the ram. Just do 400 joints and voilà, 128gb of ram. But it's not so easy for a "beginner" without to much soldering experience, a maybe a not so steady hand and missing basic tools. Some ppl offer ram upgrades incl. the ram it self for around 60 euros which isn't that much when you think of the hassle you save your self.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rawlor said:

Here are the photos of each ram chip. I know some pads are lifted but I compared them with the pin out and they aren’t connected to anything. 

E683BDE0-A3B6-468C-97C3-7C68BC3C3E0D.jpeg

F66102E3-1EAC-48BA-B575-54E27FC0E84E.jpeg

4B5667F5-72FB-445F-BE5E-1A988BF87396.jpeg

89D583FE-DE51-47F7-ABC6-C6BBF5D06C1E.jpeg

From the pictures it looks like you didn’t clean the solder off the pads before you soldered the new chips on, this makes it really hard to sit the chips properly. 2nd pic top right looks like a solder bridge between pins 2 and 3 and I haven’t looked that closely at the rest.

I got a magnifying glass and went over everything, found two bridges. I got some alcohol and cleaned all the flux thoroughly as I’d sort of left it sitting there. And... FRAG! I don’t know whether  FRAG is an improvement from the red orange flashing but I feel like it is. Anyone know what fragging means during a RAM upgrade? I’m guessing it’s just another bridge or two I’ve missed but if anyone knows that’d be great. Thanks for all the help so far!

Green/Red Flashing(FRAG)
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the motherboard.

I would go over the entire board top and bottom looking for solder splashes.

Is the D0 point connected to the modchip or ground?  My preference is ground for 1.0 -1.4 boards.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 minutes ago, rawlor said:

ITS NOT DEAD! It was FRAGing because I didn’t have the disc drive or hard drive attached. I haven’t tested RAM yet but it’s working which is more than enough. Thank you all so much for your help!

E073DB27-77D4-45E3-97AF-FA24DF0983FC.jpeg

Now run the Xblast bios and it will confirm the 4 extra chips are working.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Just now, rawlor said:

Thanks again 🥰

1E032E25-BC75-490A-961B-80AE3093CE8C.jpeg

Sweet.

Now gently reassemble the Xbox and soak test (I run it for 24 hours).

And I also stick the board in a ziplock bag then in the fridge overnight and test again while it 4 deg c.

Cheers

SS Dave

14 hours ago, rawlor said:

Unfortunately I don't have another Xbox to use. XBlast is the OS and cromwell is the BIOS right? I have crcwell.bin on the chip but if I try boot it the Xbox just frags. Is that because I don't have XBlastOS.xbe set as some sort of instant boot?

No, crcwell.bin is the BIOS file to be flashed to a modchip.  XBlastOS.xbe is an Xbox executable version that runs as an application.  It does not get flashed to a modchip.

Change the settings of the Xenium OS to autoboot the XBlastOS (crcwell.bin) BIOS.

Edit: I see you were able to get it working.  I'd not read all the messages when I posted by reply.

Great job!

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 3:26 AM, SS_Dave said:

Sweet.

Now gently reassemble the Xbox and soak test (I run it for 24 hours).

And I also stick the board in a ziplock bag then in the fridge overnight and test again while it 4 deg c.

Cheers

SS Dave

The board as in the xbox motherboard? Whats this for? Whats does running it at thag temp do/proove?

6 hours ago, supavgx said:

The board as in the xbox motherboard? Whats this for? Whats does running it at thag temp do/proove?

Yes 

It's kind of a stress test

I repair a lot of car audio systems and some of the faults only occur when cold or hot,

I have had a modded Xbox not work when cold and at room temp it would boot normally it turned out to be a  solder joint one pin of the extra ram chips so 1 in 400 pins.

Cheers

SS Dave