OGXbox.com

Green 1.0v Halo Edition XBox Repair/Build

CRW031

As the title states I am repairing and modding a green 1.6v Halo edition xbox. This console was my wife's and we have had it in our closet for years. I decided to pull it out and see if this thing works for her to play as she refuses to play my PC or xbox one. She doesn't enjoy the new games as I do and wants to play older games she used to play as a child. 

As of now I have broken down the console and thoroughly cleaned it. I removed the heatsinks and removed all the old thermal paste and replaced it with noctua NT-H1, which is what I use in my PC builds.

I noticed that the 5 capacitors closest to the CPU are all bulging and need to be replaced, so I ordered those.

For mods, as of this moment I will be installing the Openxenium chip with the LPC rebuild board.

I want to install a 2Tb hard drive and I know I'll have to upgrade the IDE cable and ad an adapter. Can someone add part numbers for the cable and adapter. I'll be using the WD Blue 5400 rpm drive for this. 

I have not made up my mind on BIOS and want to play around with several to find the one I know my wife can use with no problems. If anyone has some suggestions on BIOS let me hear them.

Last I want to add some RGB lighting to the build, nothing crazy just a nice soft glow is what I'm shooting for. Not sure where to hook up to power and guess I'll have to search for some power pinouts and such. I would love to see some of your builds with lighting to get some ideas.

Anyway I will be taking everyone along this journey as I build and learn this console. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and I look forward to talking to and learning from you guys.

OG1.jpg

It been a version 1.6 you have a choice of 2 Bios files that will work 

The X2-5035-v16 plus or the EvoxM8plus.67

The Evox M8 would be my choice. it can also have custom boot colors and the like set with a PC app.

EV Tool.zip

This is the bios file I use 

evox_m8+_67_NO-DVD.bin

The BIOS is not what is going to make is easier to use it's the software.

I get my 80 way IDE cables from Ebay and are around $8 Aud each for a 29 inch or you can also source them from aliexpress for about the same cost.

When adding extra LED's take the power from the hard drive connector, the black is negative(0 volt) red is 5 volt and yellow is 12 volt.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

It been a version 1.6 you have a choice of 2 Bios files that will work 

The X2-5035-v16 plus or the EvoxM8plus.67

The Evox M8 would be my choice. it can also have custom boot colors and the like set with a PC app.

EV Tool.zip 1.19 MB · 2 downloads

This is the bios file I use 

evox_m8+_67_NO-DVD.bin 256 kB · 3 downloads

The BIOS is not what is going to make is easier to use it's the software.

I get my 80 way IDE cables from Ebay and are around $8 Aud each for a 29 inch or you can also source them from aliexpress for about the same cost.

When adding extra LED's take the power from the hard drive connector, the black is negative(0 volt) red is 5 volt and yellow is 12 volt.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What PC program do you recommend for file transfer and handling the xbox files?  

As long as the hard drive is unlocked connect it to a PC or you can FTP using Filezilla

I use FATXplorer on the PC for large amounts of data 10+ gb and Filezilla for 1 or 2 games 4 gb each

The PC method is quicker 800 games in under 18 hours or 5 to 7 days via FTP .

A hard modded Xbox (Modchip, TSOP flashed) does not need the HDD locked to the main board and in my opinion it's better to not lock it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Today I received all of my cables and capacitors in the mail. I replaced the capacitors and the thing is running perfectly. I can't wait for the Open Xenium to come in so I can mod this thing. This will be a fun project for sure. I'm also heading to a friends house whos says he has another xbox that I can have. I'm hoping it will be an older version but we will see soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

5 wires.

1316255521_1.6rebuild.thumb.jpg.d9e3e0cec37b790a27a6cac1fb6f0fda.jpg 

The arrow is pointing to the D0 if you are fitting a Open Xenium or Xenium Ice modchip

For all other versions on modchips I cut the trace on the tip of the board.

833287352_1.6XboxLframe.jpg.c84ad20e1427d2a4961f4e5c1b5e73d9.jpg 

You don't need to connect the Lframe to the modchip like instructions in the yellow box.

Cheers

SS Dave

24 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

5 wires.

1316255521_1.6rebuild.thumb.jpg.d9e3e0cec37b790a27a6cac1fb6f0fda.jpg 

The arrow is pointing to the D0 if you are fitting a Open Xenium or Xenium Ice modchip

For all other versions on modchips I cut the trace on the tip of the board.

833287352_1.6XboxLframe.jpg.c84ad20e1427d2a4961f4e5c1b5e73d9.jpg 

You don't need to connect the Lframe to the modchip like instructions in the yellow box.

Cheers

SS Dave

I got that but using too broad of a tip I broke off some of the original soldering points. I was hoping someone had a diagram of alternative soldering points for the lpc rebuild

• CRW031 changed the title to Green 1.0v Halo Edition XBox Repair/Build

Today I received my parts xbox in the mail. I broke it down for cleaning and it is a v1.0 board. I removed the clock capacitor and cleaned the area since it had been leaking. Next I installed the mod chip and made sure it boots. Then I transplanted it into my halo case and buttoned it all up. 

I have 1 question, does xenium os only respond to an original Microsoft controller, the controllers I have will not work in xenium os but work fine without the chip installed. 

4 minutes ago, CRW031 said:

I have 1 question, does xenium os only respond to an original Microsoft controller, the controllers I have will not work in xenium os but work fine without the chip installed. 

Yes,  The same as Xblast OS, Chimp can have issues with a non M$ controller.

Cheers

SS Dave

Just now, SS_Dave said:

Yes,  The same as Xblast OS, Chimp can have issues with a non M$ controller.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks thats what I was thinking and I have both a Duke and S on the way hoping they will be here by friday

3 hours ago, CRW031 said:

So guys what Bios do you recommend for a 1.0 board that will be running emulators mostly?

X2-5035.67 , iND5004.67,EvoxM8plus.67

If it was mine the X2-5035.67 for a version 1.0 -1.1 TSOP.

Cheers

SS Dave