OGXbox.com

Network Hub Vs Switch

xicat487

I was running some Halo system link no issue. When I switched over to Brute Force and Mechassault the link failed to see another Xbox.I am using a unmanaged switch. 

I used one of these back i the day https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radica-Gamester-RC73220-LAN-Party-4-port-hub-and-Gamester-power-supply/164263467360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. The question is do some of the old games need a hub not a switch for connection ?

3 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

I was running some Halo system link no issue. When I switched over to Brute Force and Mechassault the link failed to see another Xbox.I am using a unmanaged switch. 

I used one of these back i the day https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radica-Gamester-RC73220-LAN-Party-4-port-hub-and-Gamester-power-supply/164263467360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. The question is do some of the old games need a hub not a switch for connection ?

No. The only difference between a hub and a switch is that a hub broadcasts all frames to every port. 
A switch only sends frames to the interface that the destination mac address is located on. 

Thus hubs have collisions once you get more than 2 devices connected to one. Switches do not. 

For system link networking, it works perfectly fine on a switch that is fully functional. 

11 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

Any Idea why Halo and Conquer work fine on a switch, but these games have an issue ? Is it a possibility I have a DHCP conflict with the older titles ?

What is interesting is system link doesn't give a damn about dhcp. It doesn't even really operate at layer 3. it operates at layer 2. 

I dug up a period correct switch with mixed results. Digging down I found the 2 Versions of Mechassault differed. Must be the exploit version vs the corrected version. But Brute Force still does not link. I ordered a hub and will update with the results.  Thanks for everyone's input so far.

After contacting a friend that I often had LAN events with he recalled the issue with Brute Force and had mixed luck with a switch.

This network has 4, with plans for 8, boxes have no outside connections.

My next thought is the DLC updater maybe it updates the network too. My HUB is in route ETA Friday.

Can anyone confirm my issue ? If not what switch is working properly ?

7 hours ago, Danish_Elite said:

It would be interesting to try a wireshark capture of the lan communication between the devices and maybe just try setting static IPs between the xboxes to help narrow down the root. Do you have these xboxes on your network or are they just isolated to the little unmanaged switch?

System Link doesn't care what ip addresses you set. It simply doesn't use that network config. It uses its own network config and IP is layer 3... system link doesn't depend on layer 3. You can build a layer 3 tunnel between routers and firewalls and xbox's on either side will not see each other. System Link operates at layer 2. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

After contacting a friend that I often had LAN events with he recalled the issue with Brute Force and had mixed luck with a switch.

This network has 4, with plans for 8, boxes have no outside connections.

My next thought is the DLC updater maybe it updates the network too. My HUB is in route ETA Friday.

Can anyone confirm my issue ? If not what switch is working properly ?

system link ALWAYS checks versioning of the game. You should either bring both up to the same patch level / maps or take them both down to default from the disc. 

As an update I took 2 stock v1.6 linked with a switch no issue.

On the same system link with a v1.6 Rocky5 softmod it does not see a game session.

All of my TSOP/Executer/Xblast systems refuse to see a game session. 

DHCP is set to auto on all but when looking at the Rocky5 box  on the launch menu, the network ip address was 0.0.0.0 when connected to the switch.

No outside internet connections hooked into this setup.

Is it possible that the network domain of a stock unit is different vs a modded xbox and some how this matters for this title ?

I'm just tossing ideas out at the moment.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, xicat487 said:

As an update I took 2 stock v1.6 linked with a switch no issue.

On the same system link with a v1.6 Rocky5 softmod it does not see a game session.

All of my TSOP/Executer/Xblast systems refuse to see a game session. 

DHCP is set to auto on all but when looking at the Rocky5 box  on the launch menu, the network ip address was 0.0.0.0 when connected to the switch.

No outside internet connections hooked into this setup.

Is it possible that the network domain of a stock unit is different vs a modded xbox and some how this matters for this title ?

I'm just tossing ideas out at the moment.

It sounds like you just proved the nic is dead in that rocky5 box. 
If it didn't get DHCP and it doesn't see system link... it isn't communicating on your network. Problem solved. 

I will check this Xbox  I do not believe the NIC is dead.

To make sure a ripped game file was not a fault, I bought extra 2 copies for a total of 3 DVDs

All copies were verified on 3 stock v1.6 in system link no issues.

The modded xboxes do not see the system link running form the DVDs or HDD.

I know the ethernet ports work on my xecuters ,xblast,TSOP  and function correctly ,as I FTP with them regularly through a switch.

Each one is set to DHCP.  System link works fine with these In all other titles.

I only thought of this because XBMC 3.5.6 has the ability to change the workgroup.

Can anyone with multiple modified boxes verify this issue ? 

Can it be a BIOS issue with XboxLive functions disabled ?

I use IND and X3 setups I have not tried M8.

9 hours ago, xicat487 said:

I will check this Xbox  I do not believe the NIC is dead.

To make sure a ripped game file was not a fault, I bought extra 2 copies for a total of 3 DVDs

All copies were verified on 3 stock v1.6 in system link no issues.

The modded xboxes do not see the system link running form the DVDs or HDD.

I know the eathernet ports work on my xecuters ,xblast,TSOP  and function correctly ,as I FTP with them regularly through a switch.

Each one is set to DHCP.  System link works fine with these In all other titles.

I only thought of this because XBMC 3.5.6 has the ability to change the workgroup.

Can anyone with multiple modified boxes verify this issue ? 

Can it be a BIOS issue with XboxLive functions disabled ?

I use IND and X3 setups I have not tried M8.

I'll check and let you know.