Jump to content
OGXbox.com

Network Hub Vs Switch


xicat487
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was running some Halo system link no issue. When I switched over to Brute Force and Mechassault the link failed to see another Xbox.I am using a unmanaged switch. 

I used one of these back i the day https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radica-Gamester-RC73220-LAN-Party-4-port-hub-and-Gamester-power-supply/164263467360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. The question is do some of the old games need a hub not a switch for connection ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

I was running some Halo system link no issue. When I switched over to Brute Force and Mechassault the link failed to see another Xbox.I am using a unmanaged switch. 

I used one of these back i the day https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radica-Gamester-RC73220-LAN-Party-4-port-hub-and-Gamester-power-supply/164263467360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. The question is do some of the old games need a hub not a switch for connection ?

No. The only difference between a hub and a switch is that a hub broadcasts all frames to every port. 
A switch only sends frames to the interface that the destination mac address is located on. 

Thus hubs have collisions once you get more than 2 devices connected to one. Switches do not. 

For system link networking, it works perfectly fine on a switch that is fully functional. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

Any Idea why Halo and Conquer work fine on a switch, but these games have an issue ? Is it a possibility I have a DHCP conflict with the older titles ?

What is interesting is system link doesn't give a damn about dhcp. It doesn't even really operate at layer 3. it operates at layer 2. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dug up a period correct switch with mixed results. Digging down I found the 2 Versions of Mechassault differed. Must be the exploit version vs the corrected version. But Brute Force still does not link. I ordered a hub and will update with the results.  Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After contacting a friend that I often had LAN events with he recalled the issue with Brute Force and had mixed luck with a switch.

This network has 4, with plans for 8, boxes have no outside connections.

My next thought is the DLC updater maybe it updates the network too. My HUB is in route ETA Friday.

Can anyone confirm my issue ? If not what switch is working properly ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Danish_Elite said:

It would be interesting to try a wireshark capture of the lan communication between the devices and maybe just try setting static IPs between the xboxes to help narrow down the root. Do you have these xboxes on your network or are they just isolated to the little unmanaged switch?

System Link doesn't care what ip addresses you set. It simply doesn't use that network config. It uses its own network config and IP is layer 3... system link doesn't depend on layer 3. You can build a layer 3 tunnel between routers and firewalls and xbox's on either side will not see each other. System Link operates at layer 2. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

After contacting a friend that I often had LAN events with he recalled the issue with Brute Force and had mixed luck with a switch.

This network has 4, with plans for 8, boxes have no outside connections.

My next thought is the DLC updater maybe it updates the network too. My HUB is in route ETA Friday.

Can anyone confirm my issue ? If not what switch is working properly ?

system link ALWAYS checks versioning of the game. You should either bring both up to the same patch level / maps or take them both down to default from the disc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an update I took 2 stock v1.6 linked with a switch no issue.

On the same system link with a v1.6 Rocky5 softmod it does not see a game session.

All of my TSOP/Executer/Xblast systems refuse to see a game session. 

DHCP is set to auto on all but when looking at the Rocky5 box  on the launch menu, the network ip address was 0.0.0.0 when connected to the switch.

No outside internet connections hooked into this setup.

Is it possible that the network domain of a stock unit is different vs a modded xbox and some how this matters for this title ?

I'm just tossing ideas out at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, xicat487 said:

As an update I took 2 stock v1.6 linked with a switch no issue.

On the same system link with a v1.6 Rocky5 softmod it does not see a game session.

All of my TSOP/Executer/Xblast systems refuse to see a game session. 

DHCP is set to auto on all but when looking at the Rocky5 box  on the launch menu, the network ip address was 0.0.0.0 when connected to the switch.

No outside internet connections hooked into this setup.

Is it possible that the network domain of a stock unit is different vs a modded xbox and some how this matters for this title ?

I'm just tossing ideas out at the moment.

It sounds like you just proved the nic is dead in that rocky5 box. 
If it didn't get DHCP and it doesn't see system link... it isn't communicating on your network. Problem solved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will check this Xbox  I do not believe the NIC is dead.

To make sure a ripped game file was not a fault, I bought extra 2 copies for a total of 3 DVDs

All copies were verified on 3 stock v1.6 in system link no issues.

The modded xboxes do not see the system link running form the DVDs or HDD.

I know the ethernet ports work on my xecuters ,xblast,TSOP  and function correctly ,as I FTP with them regularly through a switch.

Each one is set to DHCP.  System link works fine with these In all other titles.

I only thought of this because XBMC 3.5.6 has the ability to change the workgroup.

Can anyone with multiple modified boxes verify this issue ? 

Can it be a BIOS issue with XboxLive functions disabled ?

I use IND and X3 setups I have not tried M8.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, xicat487 said:

I will check this Xbox  I do not believe the NIC is dead.

To make sure a ripped game file was not a fault, I bought extra 2 copies for a total of 3 DVDs

All copies were verified on 3 stock v1.6 in system link no issues.

The modded xboxes do not see the system link running form the DVDs or HDD.

I know the eathernet ports work on my xecuters ,xblast,TSOP  and function correctly ,as I FTP with them regularly through a switch.

Each one is set to DHCP.  System link works fine with these In all other titles.

I only thought of this because XBMC 3.5.6 has the ability to change the workgroup.

Can anyone with multiple modified boxes verify this issue ? 

Can it be a BIOS issue with XboxLive functions disabled ?

I use IND and X3 setups I have not tried M8.

 

I'll check and let you know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Markin
      hello guys, I have an xbox version 1.4, and my default dash is evox, with the OG installer I can change the default ok? risk losing my softmod?
    • By BL4K3Y
      I'm looking for a replacement sticker for the X3 BIOS bank selection switch or a replacement switch if anyone has one spare in the UK?
      I am also looking for an Xecuter XLCD kit to complete my X3 install (this isn't a huge loss if I can't buy one and I don't mind going down the DIY route for this if nobody has one they want to sell - I've had some great advice from the XBOX-SCENE guys regarding what parts to buy).
      Please let me know if you can help.
      Thanks.
    • By mmmonkey
      I’m still getting to grips with using the og Xbox in 2020, well setting it up.
      I’ve got a USB powered WiFi bridge that plugs into the Ethernet port, and is powered directly from the console.
      But the console starts up quicker than the the bridge can connect.
      Is there an option I’m missing that will force XBMC4Gamers to check the network again and then it’ll get an IP address?
      Ta
      Pete

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.