OGXbox.com

XBox Smells Like Fish

UnD3RtAk8R

I have 2 og xbox 1.6 version. A little while ago I tried mod them and a bad Chinese adaptor for the hdd upgrade got them malfunction. So I ordered some good Panasonic capacitors and the startech adapters. Now that I think of it after the circuit malfunction I got them dedusted and rubbed them with isopropyl and a toothbrush. A fishy smell came out while I did the cleaning which means I have an electronic problem. On the boards I have one busted capacitor and no leak traces. One is hardmoded one is softmoded. How do I check exactly the problem before I try again to upgrade my hdd's? The problem I get from both xbox is the same. Whenever I plugged the hdd molex the xbox would power down instantly. If however I left the molex unplugged they would power up properly with the 07 error though. So any thoughts? I have a way to check the capacitors but I don't know how. The resistance and the power they must emit. 

Leaking Caps can sometimes smell that way. I also have some 80 way IDE leads that smell like burnt electronics even 30 days after taking them out of the bag, At least it's only when you get real close and it's slowly fading.

You should replace any caps that look like they a leaking or bulging.

Also lets do one at a time and start with the hard modded one. 

Can you post a pic of the boards.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Leaking Caps can sometimes smell that way. I also have some 80 way IDE leads that smell like burnt electronics even 30 days after taking them out of the bag, At least it's only when you get real close and it's slowly fading.

You should replace any caps that look like they a leaking or bulging.

Also lets do one at a time and start with the hard modded one. 

Can you post a pic of the boards.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Tomorrow I can get pictures of the motherboard and I will check which one is bulging even a little. I will post to keep you updated. Thank you for your time! 

On 8/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, UnD3RtAk8R said:

I have 2 og xbox 1.6 version. A little while ago I tried mod them and a bad Chinese adaptor for the hdd upgrade got them malfunction. So I ordered some good Panasonic capacitors and the startech adapters. Now that I think of it after the circuit malfunction I got them dedusted and rubbed them with isopropyl and a toothbrush. A fishy smell came out while I did the cleaning which means I have an electronic problem. On the boards I have one busted capacitor and no leak traces. One is hardmoded one is softmoded. How do I check exactly the problem before I try again to upgrade my hdd's? The problem I get from both xbox is the same. Whenever I plugged the hdd molex the xbox would power down instantly. If however I left the molex unplugged they would power up properly with the 07 error though. So any thoughts? I have a way to check the capacitors but I don't know how. The resistance and the power they must emit. 

Your xbox may have just got a girlfriend. Give it some congrats and possibly a talk and a little protection and be proud.