OGXbox.com

Aladdin Xblast/Lcd Flashing

madmon

So I have sometime on my hands and Ive been playing around with some cheap aladdins I have kicking around. I've managed to get urjtag to read my jtag programmer(HW-USBN-2A) but when I run the 'detect' command it tells me my that TDO is stuck at 0 or 1. I originally tried with a cheap USB blaster but it just would not work.  Ive tried changing the wire, reconnecting the wires, powering the chip with the programmer, powering the chip with a xbox and powering the chip with a bench power supply. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You sure that the connections to all the JTAG signals are correct.

You don't happen to have TDI and TDO connections reversed?

I double checked the wiring. I think I might be having an issue with the PC, I was looking at the long files and it seems sometimes its allowing the drivers and sometimes it is not. Its a bit older system with a x3440 Xeon running windows 10 pro. I will try it in a newer computer and I'll just try installing win7 on a spare HDD and try that. The wiring seemed okay, I marked the points and connected them one at a time. Im just at my wits end, I've reflashed bios on corrupted gpus and motherboards using a usb converter and had less issues. Thank you for the reply BTW. 

• Like 1

Okay, so a little update. For what ever reason I could not get urjtag to work, but I did manage to get diamond to recognize the programmer and actually fash it. No idea how I managed to get the program, the tutorial is all in Chinese and I found it on a site selling the programmer. 

Okay so from what I can tell the cpld is programmed, it refuses to boot with the stock stt. I placed the upgraded stt and tried to hotswap(using a stock aladdin ) it using evo dash and xblast os. I keep getting the error that it is unable to write to it. Am i missing something? I have read through a bunch of archived stuff and just cant find anything. 

Okay just giving an update if anyone comes across this looking for answers. 

Unfortunately the Aladdin clone I have simply does not work with the xblast or non-xblast code. I bought a lattice clone JTAG programmer and flashed the cpld. After many failed attempts at flashing the SST via hotswap I went out and bought a lpc programmer with the plcc32 adaptor. After successfully programming the .bin and trying to boot I was met with nothing but frags. Ive tried everything and still it just doesn't work. I guess either I messaged up somewhere(very possible) or the clone Aladdin was made differently than before(doubtful but still possible).

23 hours ago, madmon said:

Okay just giving an update if anyone comes across this looking for answers. 

Unfortunately the Aladdin clone I have simply does not work with the xblast or non-xblast code. I bought a lattice clone JTAG programmer and flashed the cpld. After many failed attempts at flashing the SST via hotswap I went out and bought a lpc programmer with the plcc32 adaptor. After successfully programming the .bin and trying to boot I was met with nothing but frags. Ive tried everything and still it just doesn't work. I guess either I messaged up somewhere(very possible) or the clone Aladdin was made differently than before(doubtful but still possible).

I would try and pm psyko over on this site and see if he can help. https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/mod-aladdin-xblast.505/

4 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

I would try and pm psyko over on this site and see if he can help. https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/mod-aladdin-xblast.505/

Ill try posting in the thread, but he did say sometimes it just does not work with some clones. Im gonna try to use it for a LCD if it doesn't work then ill remove the lattice cpld and solder the points directly to the lcd. Wish I was able to pull the original firmware but it was secured and saved as zeros... bummer.

I had problems flashing a Aladdin to make a Xblast chip with a windoze 10 desktop but windoze 10 on the laptop 1st go and the it was the other way around when making a Aladdin LCD chip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

14 hours ago, Sceriffo said:

I had problems flashing it in Windows. Tried different machines at work (a Dell Xeon notebook, a i5 PC, and even a core2duo machine. Errors all around, even tried different drivers).

Came home, I flashed it under Linux in one shot, no error, all smooth.

hmm thats so interesting. Im not the most well versed in linux, but I might try it. Ill try a different pc first before I dive into the linux route. Did you just use urjtag on ubuntu? I have an old windows xp system sitting here ill try. Thank you.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2020 at 4:22 AM, madmon said:

hmm thats so interesting. Im not the most well versed in linux, but I might try it. Ill try a different pc first before I dive into the linux route. Did you just use urjtag on ubuntu? I have an old windows xp system sitting here ill try. Thank you.  

Sorry for being late. I used another linux distribution but I think also in ubuntu will work. In most distribution modules/drivers for that programming device is already there, so even if you are not so experienced you'll manage to do it in 5 minutes. You can even try to do it with a live CD, without the need to install the operating system to your hard drive.

Install urjtag via your package manager, plug in programmer and start flashing