OGXbox.com

Frag When Rebooting

viper3344

I'm running out of working DVD drives thanks to that problem, for the first time I have more working Xboxes than DVD drives and one of those has a mechanically broken Samsung which is still OK with the DVD drive check. I guess a no DVD drive check BIOS will be the way to go with my second go at chipping. But I have to do some cap replacements on that first   

I have a samsung here with a dead laser, rest is working.

There are some PC drives which could be used.

EDIT: LG-GDR-8163B

https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/22975-PC-Laufwerk-LG-GDR-8163B-Einbau/

Which i would like to do for my crsytal box since that black drive bothers me ...

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

Just checked my crystal drive is actually a samsung one!  It ejects and spins disks just fine, just wont boot from that dang disk drive.  I popped it into my 1.0 xbox and same thing.  Frag when installed.....

Such a shame because I literally cant find any DVD drives alone on ebay at all.  

Also, found these in my OLD childhood xbox drawer....  Ideas on identifying these mod chips?

IMG_3271.jpg

Edited by viper3344

xecuter X2.6 mod chip a 2 x 512kb bios banks.

To reflash them  you need to flash both banks with a 1024kb bios comprising of 2 bios files.

What bios is in the one you are having problems boot a DVD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The xbox with the dead drive I had to replace is a 1.6 with an aladdin chip I installed (I redid the LPC).  My parents actually sent me some of my OOOOOLD college stuff and these were in there :)
Would these be better than the aladdin I have in my 1.6 now?  These things worth anything?  I also have another 1.0 xbox but like I said before It died after I removed the clock cap and only really have 1 working dvd drive now haha

4 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

The xbox with the dead drive I had to replace is a 1.6 with an aladdin chip I installed (I redid the LPC).  My parents actually sent me some of my OOOOOLD college stuff and these were in there :)
Would these be better than the aladdin I have in my 1.6 now?  These things worth anything?  I also have another 1.0 xbox but like I said before It died after I removed the clock cap and only really have 1 working dvd drive now haha

Fitting the xecuter 2.6 will give you more choice of bios with the 1.6. In the uk they are worth about £25. The 1.0 should not have died from removing the clock cap, something else has to be causing the frag. Check the other caps.

8 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

Would these be better than the aladdin I have in my 1.6 now?

Yes and No 

They have 2 BIOS banks you can switch between but they are not as easy to flash a dual bios to as both need to be combined into one file 1st.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Good info!  Its giving me the 50% Green 50% red flash from what I can tell.  Literally all I did was remove the clock cap.  It did have a modchip in it (A green pcb one)  Ill have to snap a picture of it once I open it again.  Maybe best bet it to install one of these 2.6's in the 1.0 xbox.  Right now I am just happy I have a working one  (my crystal 1.6 with the aladdin chip and the dvd drive from the 1.0)

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

No AV pack could be dry/fractured solder joints on the AV port

811006411_images(1).jpg.82078e3b4c5009d13c3f85c4a2d804ae.jpg

ull the board out and inspect the solder on the AV connector

Cheers

SS Dave

Ur chart says red and green is digital core error?  Any light on that error?

I read my chart wrong .

When you removed this old chip did you have a wire going to the D0 point

Some of the cheap mods I have removed there is a wire on the bottom of the board linking D0 to ground.

1420258271_Btpoints.PNG.07730d9790beb1a79550690c51242720.PNG

You could plug one of the modchips with the switch assembly connected  on the pin header and see what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave

15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I read my chart wrong .

When you removed this old chip did you have a wire going to the D0 point

Some of the cheap mods I have removed there is a wire on the bottom of the board linking D0 to ground.

1420258271_Btpoints.PNG.07730d9790beb1a79550690c51242720.PNG

You could plug one of the modchips with the switch assembly connected  on the pin header and see what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave

Ill snap some pics later today!

18 hours ago, viper3344 said:

Good info!  Its giving me the 50% Green 50% red flash from what I can tell.  Literally all I did was remove the clock cap.  It did have a modchip in it (A green pcb one)  Ill have to snap a picture of it once I open it again.  Maybe best bet it to install one of these 2.6's in the 1.0 xbox.  Right now I am just happy I have a working one  (my crystal 1.6 with the aladdin chip and the dvd drive from the 1.0)

When say did have modchip in it, is it still there? Check that the D0 is still attached, are there any other wires attached?

Ok so here is what is in that xbox V1.   

Any idea what chip this is? 
Is the grey wire the D0?  Looks a little finicky solder job.
According to that image above, is that an alternate D0 point???  On the back of the mobo?  I can try to disconnect the D0 and resolder it on that alternate point on the back if it can go there.

Thanks for any help gents!

IMG_3278.jpg

I have seen the chip but I can't remember it's name. I think X2 lite.

http://subdiv.net/articles/XBox/xbox.htm

I would unplug the chip and both drives and power on the Xbox and see what happens it should boot to the stock BIOS.

I am also suspect of the D0 connection on the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Found the PROBLEM!!!!   It was actually flashing red and orange.... RAM ERROR.   So I inspected the ram and found a glob of solder on the side of the pins on the ram!!!!!  Must have fallen off the iron somehow......    Anyway, I have sunk enough hours into this xbox lol.   Anyone selling a pre 1.6 mobo????  Thanks!!!

(you can actually see the glob of solder in the pc on the side of the ram chip!)

Edited by viper3344

4 hours ago, viper3344 said:

Found the PROBLEM!!!!   It was actually flashing red and orange.... RAM ERROR.   So I inspected the ram and found a glob of solder on the side of the pins on the ram!!!!!  Must have fallen off the iron somehow......    Anyway, I have sunk enough hours into this xbox lol.   Anyone selling a pre 1.6 mobo????  Thanks!!!

(you can actually see the glob of solder in the pc on the side of the ram chip!)

Just use some solder braid and plenty of flux to remove it.

Yeah I gave up haha.  Even with solder copper braid wick it still fused more together..   Either way I spent weeks on this console and am just going to toss the board and desolder the chip and wires.  Anyone know of a good place to get a used board?  My thrift stores around here suck :(

Also, for those other executor 2.6 chips I have, would they have come with a BIOS preflashed on them?    Thanks all!   Just happy to at least have ONE working xbox :):)  You guys all rock!

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

No you don't. It's not that hard do remove a bridge. Just be calm and patient and don't do it with to much heat but with a lot flux.

https://youtu.be/k5N07ByY6Hc?t=574

That was a great video!   Ill give it another go for sure!

SS_Dave, can it be flashed with any BIOS?  A 512K from what I am reading?

On 8/8/2020 at 8:12 PM, viper3344 said:

Ok so here is what is in that xbox V1.   

Any idea what chip this is? 
Is the grey wire the D0?  Looks a little finicky solder job.
According to that image above, is that an alternate D0 point???  On the back of the mobo?  I can try to disconnect the D0 and resolder it on that alternate point on the back if it can go there.

Thanks for any help gents!

IMG_3278.jpg

@SS_Dave is correct. It's an X2lite modchip.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030416001656/http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips/x-ecuter2_lite_pictures.html