OGXbox.com

Frag When Rebooting

viper3344

9 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

Thanks guys and I want to try the new BIOS but unsure how to flash without the disk.  On the Hexxen disk he has the app and BIOS's built in.  I can FTP the BIOS over no problem but how do I flash from the xbox itself?  Thanks!

make a folder in your e partition called bios and ftp over the bios to that folder. Then use evox dash to flash it. Via System, flash bios.

1 hour ago, Ging3rguy said:

make a folder in your e partition called bios and ftp over the bios to that folder. Then use evox dash to flash it. Via System, flash bios.

Oh nice!  Sorry I thought there was an app, didn't know you could do it with a tool literally built in haha.  Ok stand by for results!

Ok so created a folder called "bios" on my E:  Popped the 256k bin inside of it.  Switched to the evox dash and went to system "flash BIOS" and nothing.....

Confirmed that the file is in E bios folder but it doesnt seem to pick up the .bin file at all as an option

Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Try C\bios

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Same result....  neither C:\bios nor E:\bios picked up anything when I boot into evox dash and go "xbox admin>system/flash BIOS"

image.png.4a2b3bc9fab455f9073b764b88cbe712.png

32 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

use this program 

If you FTP it in a apps folder on E drive then unleash will pic up it as remoteX and FTP the bios you want  to E /apps/ raincoat/bios

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0upnw39q31qaqyz/Raincoat.rar?dl=0

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Ok SS_DAVE cooking with Gas now thank you!  Your raincoat app was able to work perfectly!  I verified that it was picking up the right BIOS because I changed the color of the Xbox LED
BUT..

No dice.  On the compatible long IGR, it reboots the xbox then FRAGS.  On the short IGR option, it just pops it to a blank screen.  Looks like maybe there is no solution for Aladdin chips with EVOX running 1.6 IGR?

** Scratch that.  Some games seem to be working.  It just kicks it back to the unleashX or Evox screen which is perfectly fine!

Edited by viper3344

18 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

Looks like maybe there is no solution for Aladdin chips with EVOX running 1.6 IGR?

I have use that componation heaps and it work well.

With that setup you really only have the EvoxM8 plus.67.bin available to use because the 256kb chip size.

Cheers

SS Dave

5 hours ago, viper3344 said:

Ok SS_DAVE cooking with Gas now thank you!  Your raincoat app was able to work perfectly!  I verified that it was picking up the right BIOS because I changed the color of the Xbox LED
BUT..

No dice.  On the compatible long IGR, it reboots the xbox then FRAGS.  On the short IGR option, it just pops it to a blank screen.  Looks like maybe there is no solution for Aladdin chips with EVOX running 1.6 IGR?

** Scratch that.  Some games seem to be working.  It just kicks it back to the unleashX or Evox screen which is perfectly fine!

Have you tried a different controller to rule that out?

Just for shits and giggles run XBpartitioner and have a look at the extended partitions 6 and 7 and make sure there is no ER next to the drive size.

Cheers

SS Dave

Yup no ER's at all.   I even tried with a fresh HDD.  Much smaller (120gb IDE all going to F)

BUT IGR is working if a set the BIOS to the quick one that doesn't do a full reset and just kicks you back into the dash.  I spoke incorrectly in that the first game I tested froze when doing that does indeed have documented issues with IGR.  Tons of other work just fine which is good!

On 8/3/2020 at 8:01 AM, viper3344 said:

Hey guys!  

So 2 quick questions here. 

Recently got my 1.6 with the red modchip installed, flashed and working with F and G on a new hdd. Works great.  Problem is when I do the 2 triggers plus back and start to reboot, it frags.  Power down and back up again and we are golden.  Any ideas?

thanks!

It does that because when you use the IGR to reboot the console, the modchip does not see a long press of the power button.  when that happens, the modchip is disabled.  The console is trying to boot the stock BIOS which must be corrupted.

Fix: Set the aladdin modchip for always on operation. 

Remove the wire connecting from the power button signal to the BT pad. Then, connect a short wire from the quick solder area pin 2 to BT.

5aca69c9546e8_AladdinXTplus2-AlwaysON-Jumper(Green).jpg.baa09b0d09cda7ba0f5390427ac14218.jpg

On 8/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, viper3344 said:

Thanks guys and I want to try the new BIOS but unsure how to flash without the disk.  On the Hexxen disk he has the app and BIOS's built in.  I can FTP the BIOS over no problem but how do I flash from the xbox itself?  Thanks!

Evoxdash can flash most modchips.  Or, use the XBE version of XBlastOS.  There are a couple other apps that can flash if either of those don't work for you.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:06 PM, viper3344 said:

Ok so created a folder called "bios" on my E:  Popped the 256k bin inside of it.  Switched to the evox dash and went to system "flash BIOS" and nothing.....

Confirmed that the file is in E bios folder but it doesnt seem to pick up the .bin file at all as an option

Any ideas?

Where is Evoxdash installed on the hard drive.  BIOS should be a subfolder there, not just in E:\BIOS unless evoxdash is running from E:\.

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

It does that because when you use the IGR to reboot the console, the modchip does not see a long press of the power button.  when that happens, the modchip is disabled.  The console is trying to boot the stock BIOS which must be corrupted.

Fix: Set the aladdin modchip for always on operation. 

Remove the wire connecting from the power button signal to the BT pad. Then, connect a short wire from the quick solder area pin 2 to BT.

5aca69c9546e8_AladdinXTplus2-AlwaysON-Jumper(Green).jpg.baa09b0d09cda7ba0f5390427ac14218.jpg

Hey Kaos.  Sorry for the late reply.  I always have it on always on mode.  I did that solder connection when I installed it.  The bright red light on the chip is always on.  Looks like it was a BIOS issue but still cannot get the chip to do the full IGR reset without fragging.  Short reset works but full doesnt.

10 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

Hey Kaos.  Sorry for the late reply.  I always have it on always on mode.  I did that solder connection when I installed it.  The bright red light on the chip is always on.  Looks like it was a BIOS issue but still cannot get the chip to do the full IGR reset without fragging.  Short reset works but full doesnt.

And of course, just short hitting the power button to turn the console off and short hitting it again to turn it back on again works perfectly.  Its only IGR when set to "full reset compatibility mode"

34 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

The bright red light on the chip is always on

I do this to the aladdin chips this way the led is switched off and on with the Xbox.

Cut the trace as shown by the yellow line and add a link the same as the green line

IMG_20200404_103218.jpg.e98d9f1a9035534dc245b75ad3bdff2f.thumb.jpg.77714f911f2b39fac85ab8ff173e371a.jpg

All this is doing is powering the LED from the 3.3 volt supply instead of the 5 volt supply

And the chip can still be use like this in all versions of Xbox

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I do this to the aladdin chips this way the led is switched off and on with the Xbox.

Cut the trace as shown by the yellow line and add a link the same as the green line

IMG_20200404_103218.jpg.e98d9f1a9035534dc245b75ad3bdff2f.thumb.jpg.77714f911f2b39fac85ab8ff173e371a.jpg

All this is doing is powering the LED from the 3.3 volt supply instead of the 5 volt supply

And the chip can still be use like this in all versions of Xbox

Cheers

SS Dave

Absolutely doing this!!  Thank you!!  This will be great to not have the power LED on when the unit is off.  Would you happen to have any info in dvd drive repair?  The disk drive in my crystal xbox frags with error 7 any xbox I put it in :(  Had to repair this current one with a Thompson drive from another xbox.  Every hear of dvd drives causing this?  Thanks !

2 hours ago, viper3344 said:

Absolutely doing this!!  Thank you!!  This will be great to not have the power LED on when the unit is off.  Would you happen to have any info in dvd drive repair?  The disk drive in my crystal xbox frags with error 7 any xbox I put it in :(  Had to repair this current one with a Thompson drive from another xbox.  Every hear of dvd drives causing this?  Thanks !

Had the similar issue, for me it was an issue with a Phillips dvd pcb but would frag on boot. Still haven’t worked out what is wrong with the pcb but would think it is an open circuit not a short.

This is a PCB from a philips DVD that was preventing a Xbox from booting

The black circles are definitely a problem and the yellow circles are suspect.

3NSWoNg.thumb.jpg.63903338f12b4b6c74384864f80eb181.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

Interesting, I assume there's nothing that can be done to repair it.

As I mentioned earlier, I think in this thread, the problems I described with my TSOP seemed likely to be due to the Philips DVD drive. I confirmed that when I replaced it with with a Thomson and the problem sent away.

Later I tested the Philips on a softmod and, oddly, initially the DVD drive did not cause any problems. I even played a level from an original game disc and booted AID directly, rebooting and cold booting no problems. No problems with any IGR either. Perplexed I shutdown the Xbox, had lunch and came back to it.

On restart I immediately had an error 11and that repeated on each subsequent restart until I used the eject button and then it booted to the dash fine. Remember this is a softmod I'm now talking about.

On further testing it was all over the place sometimes it would go to error 11 but other times it would work perfectly.

Annoying.

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Interesting, I assume there's nothing that can be done to repair it.

Properly not as the damage is to all the via points and is very similar trace damage from leaking capacitors.

The 2 options would be replacement or the DVD drive assembly of use a BIOS that has the DVD check disabled and leave the DVD disconnected and in the Xbox to fill the gap. I suppose the 3rd option is make a slim Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave