OGXbox.com

Frag When Rebooting

viper3344

Hey guys!  

So 2 quick questions here. 

Recently got my 1.6 with the red modchip installed, flashed and working with F and G on a new hdd. Works great.  Problem is when I do the 2 triggers plus back and start to reboot, it frags.  Power down and back up again and we are golden.  Any ideas?

Also. Got a v1.0 Xbox and removed the clock capacitor.l for safety.  After I removed it the Xbox refused to boot anymore. Literally does the reboot 3 times then frags thing. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Funny you should ask that because after reading SS_Dave's thread about his 'disillusionment' with HeXEn and in particular the EvoX M8+ (no DVD) BIOS I thought I'd better check my TSOPed v1.4 which was flashed with HeXEn 2017/18's 256KB Evox M8.plus.F and G BIOS. I'm guessing from the description and the problem that is what you may have used too ie. the v1.6 version.

I've not used my TSOP Xbox that much since so hadn't tested the thing thoroughly and I'm annoyed to discover there does seem to be an IGR and Reboot issue with it.

From an UnleashX main dash the Right/Left trigger, Back/Black or Start/Back buttons causes the Xbox to freeze on the flubber screen. Using Reboot from the main dash menu produces a similar problem as does the Restart from XBMC (running as an app).

I tried other things like going to the MS dash, booting apps with return to dashboard options (BIOSChecker and DVD2Xbox), rebooting using the UnleashX and Avalaunch dashes I have installed as apps all worked flawlessly.

XBMC worked fine when using the main menu XBMC Restart option but Restart to the main dash, as said, and it always sticks on the flubber. EvoX likewise. Using any Reboot option rather than 'soft-reset' seems to provoke this behaviour.

I suppose it could be a HDD or main dash installation problem so I'm going to test that tomorrow with a clean HDD and fresh AID main dash install. But this smells like a BIOS issue to me. I'm also thinking the DVD drive check is involved as after these freezes the only way to get it to boot properly again is to shutdown and restart with the Eject/Close button rather than the main Power button. Sometimes the tray does not eject, the LED just flash green and when it does that however it is restarted it freezes on the flubber again.

Consequently the DVD drive will also be tested with a known good one to eliminate that as a possible culprit. 

I really do not want to have to reflash the Winbond TSOP again but if the BIOS is broken what choice is there? I guess Viper3344 will feel the same way too if the consensus of opinion is that the BIOS is the most likely cause of the problem.    

Edited by HDShadow

3 hours ago, viper3344 said:

Hey guys!  

So 2 quick questions here. 

Recently got my 1.6 with the red modchip installed, flashed and working with F and G on a new hdd. Works great.  Problem is when I do the 2 triggers plus back and start to reboot, it frags.  Power down and back up again and we are golden.  Any ideas?

Also. Got a v1.0 Xbox and removed the clock capacitor.l for safety.  After I removed it the Xbox refused to boot anymore. Literally does the reboot 3 times then frags thing. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Hi, what bios and dashboard combo are you running? Also try igr while you are not in a game and see if that has the same result.

33 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Funny you should ask that because after reading SS_Dave's thread about his 'disillusionment' with HeXEn and in particular the EvoX M8+ (no DVD) BIOS I thought I'd better check my TSOPed v1.4 which was flashed with HeXEn 2017/18's 256KB Evox M8.plus.F and G BIOS. I'm guessing from the description and the problem that is what you may have used too ie. the v1.6 version.

I've not used my TSOP Xbox that much since so hadn't tested the thing thoroughly and I'm annoyed to discover there does seem to be an IGR and Reboot issue with it.

From an UnleashX main dash the Right/Left trigger, Back/Black or Start/Back buttons causes the Xbox to freeze on the flubber screen. Using Reboot from the main dash menu produces a similar problem as does the Restart from XBMC (running as an app).

I tried other things like going to the MS dash, booting apps with return to dashboard options (BIOSChecker and DVD2Xbox), rebooting using the UnleashX and Avalaunch dashes I have installed as apps all worked flawlessly.

XBMC worked fine when using the main menu XBMC Restart option but Restart to the main dash, as said, and it always sticks on the flubber. EvoX likewise. Using any Reboot option rather than 'soft-reset' seems to provoke this behaviour.

I suppose it could be a HDD or main dash installation problem so I'm going to test that tomorrow with a clean HDD and fresh AID main dash install. But this smells like a BIOS issue to me. I'm also thinking the DVD drive check is involved as after these freezes the only way to get it to boot properly again is to shutdown and restart with the Eject/Close button rather than the main Power button. Sometimes the tray does not eject, the LED just flash green and when it does that however it is restarted it freezes on the flubber again.

Consequently the DVD drive will also be tested with a known good one to eliminate that as a possible culprit. 

I really do not want to have to reflash the Winbond TSOP again but if the BIOS is broken what choice is there? I guess Viper3344 will feel the same way too if the consensus of opinion is that the BIOS is the most likely cause of the problem.    

Check the settings for igr in evtool. 

Load the bios you are using into evtool, in the top right you have 2 options for igr, one reloads to dash the other to the flubber. Not sure what other choices you have on the hexen disk but you can load a bios of your choice to the e partition and just use evox dash to flash it.

Here’s a list of the main bios available, you can use a x2 5035 1.6 other than that I think it is the m8 or m8+.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/bios/features?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

So I am using the 256k f plus g bios on the Hexen disk.

There a better bios to use?

Also can you please expand where the IGR settings are?  I use a evtool app?

Thanks!

What dash are you using?

I have seen that when shortcuts have been used to boot to a different dash.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

7 hours ago, viper3344 said:

thanks!

Was it working before you removed the clock cap?

can you also take a picture of the modchip in the 1.6.

Ok so to answer everyones questions:

The modchip is this:  (Ximimark Aladdin XT-4032 Machine Readable Original Mod Chip Suitable for XBOX1)  You can search that on Amazon.  Its the Red chip. 

The Dash is the regular one that Hexen disk installs by default when you set up a new HDD.  I didnt change the dash or skin.

I used the Hexen disk to boot and flash the chip with the 256k 1.6 F AND G bios.  So what bios would that be on the disk for that chip?  I cant get the bios off the ISO because its in the xbox file system.

For the second question, yes.  The OG V1.0 xbox worked perfectly fine before I removed the clock capacitor

Thanks for any help everyone!

Edited by viper3344

You can extract dvd's in to way. First you have the dvd in the xbox drive and copy the files from the XBox dvd via FTP to the pc. The other way is to use the PC tool " XDVDMulleter Beta 10.2 ". That can extract XBox iso's in 99% of the cases.

Below i attached 2 bios files and a screen with changes.

evox.m8plus.v16.ce.137.MC = IGR more compatibel.

evox.m8plus.v16.ce.137.MC = IGR Quick.

Both are F&G bioses for v1.6 XBoxes. You can also edit both with the evox-x tool if you want. 

EDIT :  Xdvdmulleter Beta v10.2 download https://1fichier.com/?hmwydrlzql3zaygdulmz (Do big to attach here).

Zwischenablage01.jpg

evox.m8plus.v16.ce.137.MC.bin evox.m8plus.v16.ce.137.q.bin

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

2 hours ago, viper3344 said:

Ok so to answer everyones questions:

The modchip is this:  (Ximimark Aladdin XT-4032 Machine Readable Original Mod Chip Suitable for XBOX1)  You can search that on Amazon.  Its the Red chip. 

The Dash is the regular one that Hexen disk installs by default when you set up a new HDD.  I didnt change the dash or skin.

I used the Hexen disk to boot and flash the chip with the 256k 1.6 F AND G bios.  So what bios would that be on the disk for that chip?  I cant get the bios off the ISO because its in the xbox file system.

For the second question, yes.  The OG V1.0 xbox worked perfectly fine before I removed the clock capacitor

Thanks for any help everyone!

Try using the bios that SDD has posted above. Make a folder on your e partition called bios, then ftp the bios into that folder and use evox dash to flash the bios.

On the V1 are you sure you removed the clock cap? If you disconnected the power and eject connector make sure that is reconnected. What are state of the other caps on the board do the look dome shaped, also check the traces for pitting.

There is is still a "little typo". Compatible...................but you're forgiven for a whole load of reasons but principally providing those edited v1.6 BIOS. Very useful.

Are those modifications of the Evox M8+ BIOS from the HeXEn disc or are they taken from another source?

I'm in the middle of the testing I mentioned and it looks as if in my case the problem is not the HeXEn M8+ BIOS. As said my TSOP is a v1.4 so I'd used the non-v1.6 Evox F and G one but I'd suspect they have exactly the same features/settings as the v1.6 versions.

But in my case it appears the reboot problem is caused by the DVD drive.

I've replaced it, a Philips, with a Thomson I know is good and the reboot issue has disappeared. I've tried the Reboot and IGR multiple times now and its worked without fail every time.

I'm going to retest the Philips and try another DVD drive just to make sure. But what it means is that the non-v1.6 HeXEn Evox M8+ F and G BIOS is good and there is the possibility viper3344's problem is actually not BIOS related. It could be caused by a DVD drive fault.

CONFIRMED: just refitted the Philips VAD6011/21 and the problem returns.

Weird problem though because otherwise the Philips works perfectly - I've just used it to install Timesplitters 2 to the HDD and there were no issues.

Any explanation? I suppose if it is a DVD drive check related problem I could still use it on the TSOPed machine if I swapped to a BIOS with no DVD check.

26 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

There is is still a "little typo". Compatible...................but you're forgiven for a whole load of reasons but principally providing those edited v1.6 BIOS. Very useful.

Are those modifications of the Evox M8+ BIOS from the HeXEn disc or are they taken from another source?

I'm in the middle of the testing I mentioned and it looks as if in my case the problem is not the HeXEn M8+ BIOS. As said my TSOP is a v1.4 so I'd used the non-v1.6 Evox F and G one but I'd suspect they have exactly the same features/settings as the v1.6 versions.

But in my case it appears the reboot problem is caused by the DVD drive.

I've replaced it, a Philips, with a Thomson I know is good and the reboot issue has disappeared. I've tried the Reboot and IGR multiple times now and its worked without fail every time.

I'm going to retest the Philips and try another DVD drive just to make sure. But what it means is that the non-v1.6 HeXEn Evox M8+ F and G BIOS is good and there is the possibility viper3344's problem is actually not BIOS related. It could be caused by a DVD drive fault.

CONFIRMED: just refitted the Philips VAD6011/21 and the problem returns.

Weird problem though because otherwise the Philips works perfectly - I've just used it to install Timesplitters 2 to the HDD and there were no issues.

Any explanation? I suppose if it is a DVD drive check related problem I could still use it on the TSOPed machine if I swapped to a BIOS with no DVD check.

The bios files are from xbins and i have made the changes to them. I use the same files on my 1.6/1.6b as E/C because of xbmc4gamers which are the default dashboards.

And here are the xbins original files, if needed:

evox.m8plus.v16.bin evox.m8plus.v16.fc.137.bin

BIOS are really not my thing; am I right in thinking you can use a v1.6 BIOS universally ie. on v1.0 - v1.4/5 as well?

For instance the Aladdin XT Plus 2 comes with a Evox M8+ BIOS version that says it is universal - is that true of other v1.6 compatible BIOS?

Final thing: the partition support - if you use the Partition 6 (F) takes up to 137GB /Partition 7 takes the rest option shown in the EVTool can you changed that with XBPartitioner v1.3 later? If you were fitting a 2TB HDD you have to divide it equally between F and G so I'm assuming the EVTool option is just for the initial HDD partitioning set up. 

Edited by HDShadow

Nope. You can use these on 1.0-1.2 and 1.6. Those Bioses are falshed on the cheap LPC mod chips which i buy normaly.

For the 1.3 and 1.4 you need the normal one which are attached below. 

EDIT 2 : And yes these are also from xbins which i have editit quick. :)

evox.m8plus.ce.137.MC.bin evox.m8plus.ce.137.Q.bin

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
you guess it folks....
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

BIOS are really not my thing; am I right in thinking you can use a v1.6 BIOS universally ie. on v1.0 - v1.4/5 as well?

For instance the Aladdin XT Plus 2 comes with a Evox M8+ BIOS version that says it is universal - is that true of other v1.6 compatible BIOS?

Final thing: the partition support - if you use the Partition 6 (F) takes up to 137GB /Partition 7 takes the rest option shown in the EVTool can you changed that with XBPartitioner v1.3 later? If you were fitting a 2TB HDD you have to divide it equally between F and G so I'm assuming the EVTool option is just for the initial HDD partitioning set up. 

This is the m8+ for all versions, read the .nfo

https://the-eye.eu/public/xbins/XBOX/Console Based Applications/bios/evolution-x/MULTI_VERSION/

• Like 2

Awesome!  So last question before I try this tonight.  

Do I need a flashing app?  I know it was stated that you can flash the bios from the dash but the only apps I have are the default apps that install from the hexen disk. I flashed the initial bios from the hexen disk so not sure how to do it without.  

Any help appreciated!  What a great community here guys!

Edited by viper3344

26 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

What version of Hexen did you use to install from?

Also what size hard drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I used the Hexxen 2019 disk and I have a 1TB hdd.  I use the partitioner to have I think like 128gb of the F: and the rest on G:

54 minutes ago, viper3344 said:

I used the Hexxen 2019 disk and I have a 1TB hdd.  I use the partitioner to have I think like 128gb of the F: and the rest on G:

I would try one of  SDD’s 1.6 bios and see if it cures the frag. What is your dash setup, do you have an evoxdash.xbe on C?

I have had the same when the the hard drive has not been formatted correctly or the software has been incorrectly installed 

While it could be the IGR in the BIOS I am leaning towards the drive not been formatted correctly.

I Would use XBPartitioner 1.3 to redo the hard drive you could set F ( Extended partition 6) to maximum or split  evenly across F and G (Extended partition 6 and 7)

XBpartitioner-1.3.7z

Cheers

SS Dave