OGXbox.com

Problems With Diy OpenXEnium

MrBriteSide

Hey guys,

So I was attempting to make my own OpenXenium modchips. I managed to get all the components and build 6 of them. Of the 6, 4 of them were successfully programmed with a BusPirate XSVF programmer (i figure I just need to reflow and check for bridges on the other 2). When I go to do the final programming using Ryzee's Xenium tools only 1 of the 4 that were programmed actually get detected with the software. Even then when I go to program that one chip with the the tools it only gets to 50% complete and then the xbox just freezes on the flashing process leaving the chip in a partially flashed state. Im using the recovery.bin file from xbins for flashing. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what might be wrong in this situation. Im in the process of setting up an NXDK environment to see if I can build the tools .xbe from there.

Thanks

Okay so small update. Of the one chip that was detected by Xenium-tools, I was able to use the tools and create a dump of whats on the flash chip. After looking at the code for the tool, it is writing the Cromwell loader section into the XeniumOS Part 1 section. This is making me wonder if I have some address pins bridged potentially. I think what I might try here is get a little messy and create a pseudo 2mb flash by stitching together the binary sections on my computer first and then have the tools simply flash over the stitched 2mb file. Guess ill have to try it and see.

2 hours ago, MrBriteSide said:

Hey guys,

So I was attempting to make my own OpenXenium modchips. I managed to get all the components and build 6 of them. Of the 6, 4 of them were successfully programmed with a BusPirate XSVF programmer (i figure I just need to reflow and check for bridges on the other 2). When I go to do the final programming using Ryzee's Xenium tools only 1 of the 4 that were programmed actually get detected with the software. Even then when I go to program that one chip with the the tools it only gets to 50% complete and then the xbox just freezes on the flashing process leaving the chip in a partially flashed state. Im using the recovery.bin file from xbins for flashing. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what might be wrong in this situation. Im in the process of setting up an NXDK environment to see if I can build the tools .xbe from there.

Thanks

Check the cpld for bridges, I found I could program the cpld but then had issue flashing the firmware. It was down to solder bridges I couldn’t even see. Most of the time just running the iron across the pins was enough but a couple I just used solder braid and that solved it.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:38 AM, Ging3rguy said:

Check the cpld for bridges, I found I could program the cpld but then had issue flashing the firmware. It was down to solder bridges I couldn’t even see. Most of the time just running the iron across the pins was enough but a couple I just used solder braid and that solved it.

So I finally had some time to work on the chips. I did what you had suggested and I managed to fix the one chip that was only partially flashing and now I have 1 fully working OpenXenium chip. The rest though didnt seem to follow. Since I had a hot air station, I spent a good amount of time removing the chips, re-tinning the pads and cleaning the old flux up and trying to re-solder them . I then followed with two passes of solder braid, one thick and one thinner to try and get the little stuff. Unfortunately only the CPLD was still being programmed and the xbox just wouldn't recognize the chips. Im just at a loss since the LED can change color and will match the color listed in the Xenium tools meaning at least the LPC writes to the chip are working. Im thinking of using a 3.3v Micro controller board to bit-bang the lines and see what the output is and maybe that will help. Oh well.

2 hours ago, MrBriteSide said:

So I finally had some time to work on the chips. I did what you had suggested and I managed to fix the one chip that was only partially flashing and now I have 1 fully working OpenXenium chip. The rest though didnt seem to follow. Since I had a hot air station, I spent a good amount of time removing the chips, re-tinning the pads and cleaning the old flux up and trying to re-solder them . I then followed with two passes of solder braid, one thick and one thinner to try and get the little stuff. Unfortunately only the CPLD was still being programmed and the xbox just wouldn't recognize the chips. Im just at a loss since the LED can change color and will match the color listed in the Xenium tools meaning at least the LPC writes to the chip are working. Im thinking of using a 3.3v Micro controller board to bit-bang the lines and see what the output is and maybe that will help. Oh well.

Pretty sure it will be a solder bridge, try using a meter to check for continuity where there shouldn’t be any.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:52 AM, MrBriteSide said:

successfully programmed with a BusPirate XSVF programmer

did you had to set all this pins manually? this is the first time when I interract with JTAG stuff, found the BSDL file, then software asks me for this, but I have no idea where pins go, checked xc9572xl documentation, looks like witchcraft

dsa.png

Edited by neighbor

On 8/9/2020 at 1:41 AM, Ging3rguy said:

Pretty sure it will be a solder bridge, try using a meter to check for continuity where there shouldn’t be any.

So I had some time to work on this again and removed, cleaned and re-soldered the chips to the boards again. After which I tested with a multimeter the LAD lines. From one to the other I got no continuity and when I tested resistance I was getting around 24-25 MegOhms which tells me there really should even be any bridging whatsoever. I forgot to test the LCLK and LRESET lines but Id imagine they would be the same. It just baffles me at this point that they arent working event though I can control the LED from the xbox and everything looks good regarding continuity and resistance checks. Im thinking I might order a couple new chips and maybe even female LPC connectors. Thinking some gunk/flux got in them which is causing maybe some high speed transfer data mess-ups with it not fully contacting the LPC header on the board. I dont know at this point.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, neighbor said:

did you had to set all this pins manually? this is the first time when I interract with JTAG stuff, found the BSDL file, then software asks me for this, but I have no idea where pins go, checked xc9572xl documentation, looks like witchcraft

dsa.png

I never ran into this screen. Since the ISE software spat out an SVF file, i assumed the pin assignments where baked into it. The programming application I use is purely CMD prompt based but may look into that, but since at least one of the six chips is being picked up by the xbox, im not sure if that is the problem.