OGXbox.com

Trace Repair or Other

doubleristrett0

Hi, I have been given two Xbox consoles, one to repair (and I may get to keep the other), both new to me and have been in storage for years so owner is unsure of details. Both hard modded. One works fine, the other after fixing an overheating issue now works to turn on intermittently using the power button. Eject seems to work OK. The hard mod requires the use of the power button, it will work after 5 or so minutes of fiddling.

Because I am in a unique situation I am looking for advice that I can't search in another category.

I have been asked to get photos and saved games off the non working box. My soldering skills are limited and kynar wire will cost me $20 here in Australia so I'm hoping there might be another fix. 

Given both boxes are hard modded is there a way to unlock the drive in the non working box and use it in the working one? I have been told that a straight swap didn't work which is why it's been given to me to find a fix. I've read about nulling the HDD and eeprom but all info seems to be based on a softmod.

I have contemplated several options but not sure what will be simplest, lowest risk etc.

Cloning - can I clone a drive from one box and use the data in another?

Swap - Is this possible? Do I need to null the HDD and eeprom on both boxes? Can I look up the eeprom code on the working box and change the HDD code to match?

FTP, can I simply FTP the data from the non working box and then push it to the other box? (Keeping in mind by non-working I mean it takes 5 minutes to get the power button to boot into the hard mod.

Finally a hardware fix. As I said my soldering skills are limited so I'm worried about this proper fix for now (though it may be easiest and will result in two working boxes).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Can you post some pics of the non working one?

Jaycar sell the wire wrap wire that's perfect for trace repair.

Depending on the mod chip if it's a aladdin chip remove the wire that's connected to the front of the Xbox and link BT to pin2 like this .

834476288_AladdinBT.thumb.jpg.c569470932dd9f92f9f278378edd70ef.jpg

This will force the chip to be always on

Let's start here then will see about repairing the trace damage.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, doubleristrett0 said:

Hi, I have been given two Xbox consoles, one to repair (and I may get to keep the other), both new to me and have been in storage for years so owner is unsure of details. Both hard modded. One works fine, the other after fixing an overheating issue now works to turn on intermittently using the power button. Eject seems to work OK. The hard mod requires the use of the power button, it will work after 5 or so minutes of fiddling.

Because I am in a unique situation I am looking for advice that I can't search in another category.

I have been asked to get photos and saved games off the non working box. My soldering skills are limited and kynar wire will cost me $20 here in Australia so I'm hoping there might be another fix. 

Given both boxes are hard modded is there a way to unlock the drive in the non working box and use it in the working one? I have been told that a straight swap didn't work which is why it's been given to me to find a fix. I've read about nulling the HDD and eeprom but all info seems to be based on a softmod.

I have contemplated several options but not sure what will be simplest, lowest risk etc.

Cloning - can I clone a drive from one box and use the data in another?

Swap - Is this possible? Do I need to null the HDD and eeprom on both boxes? Can I look up the eeprom code on the working box and change the HDD code to match?

FTP, can I simply FTP the data from the non working box and then push it to the other box? (Keeping in mind by non-working I mean it takes 5 minutes to get the power button to boot into the hard mod.

Finally a hardware fix. As I said my soldering skills are limited so I'm worried about this proper fix for now (though it may be easiest and will result in two working boxes).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

You can unlock the hdd by using an eeprom reader providing the Xbox powers up. Ryzee has built a cheap arduino based reader but there are other alternatives. Use the reader to get a copy of the hdd key and then use xboxhdm to unlock the hdd.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/ArduinoProm

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you post some pics of the non working one?

Jaycar sell the wire wrap wire that's perfect for trace repair.

Depending on the mod chip if it's a aladdin chip remove the wire that's connected to the front of the Xbox and link BT to pin2 like this .

834476288_AladdinBT.thumb.jpg.c569470932dd9f92f9f278378edd70ef.jpg

This will force the chip to be always on

Let's start here then will see about repairing the trace damage.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the advice, if that's possible it would work a treat for now. It will reliably turn on using the eject button. Here is a closeup of the board.

Modchip.jpg

The 2 wire here connect to the power and eject buttons and also determine how it operates.

You could swap the 2 wires and that should get you out of trouble.

Modchip.jpg.944067060e62415b8f2ea8081d3ad21d.jpg.a773a2d5dad3a176b08642158b64279b.jpg

And you will need to use the eject button in place of the power button

1901941943_ALX2modchip.PNG.d02a62d2386ad478924f7d95f29dc2c3.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

I've tried swapping them over but still no go. I wonder if there is more damage to the eject trace than initially thought.

I tried to hold in the eject button (in place of power) for approx 1 second however it turns on, drive starts to spin and then it turns off again. Perhaps the eject button functionality wont co-operate to provide a long press? A single press is not enough to boot into mod bios.

====================================================================================

Aha, I can reliably get into the backup bios using the eject and power. No need for me to flash a new bios so this is good enough for me!!!!!

Thanks SS_Dave!

*I'm editing this post, as a new user I am maxxed out of posts for today.

Edited by doubleristrett0