OGXbox.com

Hexen Disk and Why It's So Good (Yeah Right).

SS_Dave

On 8/21/2020 at 8:54 PM, dertio said:

Zup bro, just for say thanks for the work now my Xbox is alive

I got a shattered 1.6 really cheap, after 1 year is like new, new case, DVD drive working, aladdin chip installed and a 128gb hdd(this is Provisional) I waiting the sata2IDE converter and put a 500gb hdd) also when I bought this the motherboard was pre hacked with wires so this just need a chip and that's it, anyway I flash the noDVD check bios thinking on the next update... So right now what's next?, just copy a lot of games to the hdd? Install emulators or use like media center I dunno this is a new word for me

you can grab 3tb drives "refuerb" off amazon for 40$, go for the NAS hgst/hitachi, they are about as bulletproof as they come

• 3 weeks later...

For XBMC, I had that exact same problem except it was just standard XBMC. For some reason Hexen 2020 makes a broken shortcut if installed to E. Installing to F however makes it work.

But in the end, Hexen should really just be used for a basic setup, then install what you want after manually.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a bit more of my rant about Hexen

I had a Xbox returned with the owner saying it is no longer booting to XBMC4Gamers.

I asked the owner what they had done and was told they had read all about Hexen and the BIOS files so they loaded it and had a look at the different BIOS and then exited because they did not understand them and the looked at other options on the disk and shut it down without loading or changing anything so no harm done.

A quick look at the HDD shows Hexen was here!!

1490255358_FuckHexenn1.PNG.5b51727dcd1c80db4d0cd74cfcf78208.PNG

1147253365_FuckHexen2.PNG.668d8bd25dddc6685c0827f62526af77.PNG

Not only did it leave crap it changed the x2config.ini file and as I had the default dash set to XBMC4Gamers as dash 1 it would not boot to 4Gamers.

At 1st I thought that the owner must have changed something but I tested it by loading Hexen and looking at the BIOS files the exiting without changing anything and the Crap was back and the Config file was changed.

And not only did it change the X2 config file on E drive but it changed the iND config on C drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

That was something I think I mentioned in an earlier post here too.

I discovered that just checking the BIOS options in HeXEn results in it installing stuff you don't want and certainly haven't asked for. I didn't know it could and will do that. Its just the sort of thing I dislike any software doing - I want as much control as possible over what gets installed. At the very least I want to be informed before it happens. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, HDShadow said:

That was something I think I mentioned in an earlier post here too.

I discovered that just checking the BIOS options in HeXEn results in it installing stuff you don't want and certainly haven't asked for. I didn't know it could and will do that. Its just the sort of thing I dislike any software doing - I want as much control as possible over what gets installed. At the very least I want to be informed before it happens. 

So this is something that was removed from Hexen, it no longer does this in the current versions. I really wish people would let me know about issues within my release of Hexen, Literally NO ONE has said a thing to me about any difficulties or issues. The No DVD bios options were a recent addition by request of a few people, the bios files were given to me and told to be "good" If there is an issue with them I'll be removing them or if someone has bios files that are ACTUALLY good I'd love access to them.

It's difficult to improve a system when you get zero feedback.

Huuu Heimdall.

The m8 noDVD bios files are simply missing to check for the default.xbe on a cold boot cuz the box for it is empty. Thats ok for a XBox slim without a drive but if you still have one it sucks.

Another problem i had with TruHeXEn is when you repack the iso with XDVDMulleter or Qwix the iso mostly didn't work properly. I have mess with that 14 days and didn't get it to work 100%. When it boot on a stock XBox it refuses to work on SATA moded and the other way around.

One thing that should be changed is, when you flash a m8 bios to a winbond it should be a F+G noDVD by default and not a normal m8.

Tried to fix that and some other things but like mentioned above, the disc refuses to work properly when i made changes to it which is totaly weird when you consider, that i just replaced bios files and changed some other little thingswhich are not related with any of the boot files. When i do the same with Slayers, X-Disk, AiO it works without a problem. Also the installer im working on which is right now in private beta has no porblems and works on every xbox you put it in. So i think it isn't a pebkac error.

If you wan't to look at it, still have the TruHeXEn image i was working on.

Here are 2 images which shows whats wrong with the m8 bios files.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

1 hour ago, VoltXT7 said:

Any better alternative(s) to Hexen Disc ??

Slayers or X-Disk if you understand german or AiO Auto-Installer Deluxe v4.53. And there some nice Spanish installer too (if you understand spanish). But if any of it`s better depends on you. Major problem with HeXEn/TruHeXEn is that are some bios files are bad and the realy long boot time, the rest is ok and you can always flash a working bios after you have set up your box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VoltXT7 said:

Any better alternative(s) to Hexen Disc ??

At the moment I would use Slayer 3.3 or Slayer 2.7.

Hexen will still work but it leaves it footprints all over the hard drive, For a lot of users that's not a problem.

Just don't use the Evox NoDVD bios from Hexen and you will be fine.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

Is there any other problem with those HeXEn No DVD BiOS other than the D:\ drive boot option not being set to "default.xbe"?

If not that is easily corrected using the EVTool or XBTool depending on the BIOS.

You'd be well advised to edit the boot priority with HeXEn anyway and other BIOS too because unless you used that particular installer originally the two secondary location paths used are unlikely to be present on your Xbox.

3 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Is there any other problem with those HeXEn No DVD BiOS other than the D:\ drive boot option not being set to "default.xbe"?

If not that is easily corrected using the EVTool or XBTool depending on the BIOS.

You'd be well advised to edit the boot priority with HeXEn anyway and other BIOS too because unless you used that particular installer originally the two secondary location paths used are unlikely to be present on your Xbox.

Anytime you load Hexen to even look at the bios flash options it will set your default dash to Unleash by changing the config files on C and E drives and replacing the evoxdash.xbe on C drive to its own shortcut. 

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Yes, I know that only too well. I was just wondering about the actual BIOS, if there is anything inherently wrong with those No DVD ones except for the D:\default.xbe omission issue?  

No I use the No DVD option in every build.

Cheers

SS Dave

I meant is there anything else wrong with the specific No DVD BIOS included in HeXEn.

I know the No DVD works, although I didn't know it still required the power connection to the DVD drive to function. Not knowing that is probably why I had problems with the TSOPed and chipped Xbox covered in another thread here.  

It is only the NoDVD on the Hexen 2020 that has a problem as with that one the DVD drive will not work at all even as a DVD player or CD player from any of the Apps,Dashboards.

With a NoDVD bios you can completely remove the DVD assembly and the Xbox will boot from the HDD, if the eject button is pressed the led will start flashing until the Xbox is rebooted and the dash will report the tray is open, Adding a link in the DVD power plug will tell the Xbox the tray is closed and there is no disk in the DVD and even if you press the eject button the led will flash once and then go back to normal. 

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

10 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Anytime you load Hexen to even look at the bios flash options it will set your default dash to Unleash by changing the config files on C and E drives and replacing the evoxdash.xbe on C drive to its own shortcut. 

I've long removed that from Hexen. It shouldnt affect the dash files AT ALL anymore. If its still causing things to change the only reason would be from OLD residual files from previous Hexen builds still existing on the hdd. That was one of the main things I used to HATE about hexen.

5 hours ago, ToxicMedz said:

I've long removed that from Hexen. It shouldnt affect the dash files AT ALL anymore. If its still causing things to change the only reason would be from OLD residual files from previous Hexen builds still existing on the hdd.

Well the Hexen 2020 definitely replaces the X2 and iND bios config files with its own and the evoxdash.xbe  on C drive was also changed to a shortcut but it came unstuck in that Xbox because I had the EvoxM8 set to load XBMC4Gamers on E drive.

That drive was setup from scratch on a new 2tb HDD using Slayers 2.7 and the only time hexen was near it was to just look at the BIOS options and not even used to flash anything.

Cheers

SS Dave

@sweetdarkdestiny

"X-Disk if you understand german"

I don't read / write German BUT I can learn. If you have a working link to download it, It would be nice  😃

"AiO Auto-Installer Deluxe v4.53"

There are many versions: Full, Lite even Auto-Installer Deluxe v4.6 in Portuguese.

"there some nice Spanish installer too"

AFAIK there are 2 : BDI Borg Disk Installer v1.37 (Updated regularly) and ZXB Installer (Little old but good)

• 2 weeks later...

Well now I'm not sure what I want to use. I've got a couple Aladdin chips coming tomorrow for two 1.6b boxes. The hard drives and DVD drives in both boxes are no good. Right now I'm just going to set them up with maybe 120 - 200GB hard drives to get them up and running. I just downloaded TruHexen2020 but now I don't know. I see there's issues but any thoughts on my situation with what to use and bios? I've got to figure out what to do about installation as well since the DVD drives are screwed.

7 hours ago, Riff-Raff said:

Well now I'm not sure what I want to use. I've got a couple Aladdin chips coming tomorrow for two 1.6b boxes. The hard drives and DVD drives in both boxes are no good. Right now I'm just going to set them up with maybe 120 - 200GB hard drives to get them up and running. I just downloaded TruHexen2020 but now I don't know. I see there's issues but any thoughts on my situation with what to use and bios? I've got to figure out what to do about installation as well since the DVD drives are screwed.

For the hard drive size you are using the BIOS supplied on the chip is fine

On a 1.6 MB you need to use the EvoxM8 BIOS and the NoDVD version on the Hexen2020 can be fixed using EVtools, Or you can use this one.

evox_m8+_67_NO-DVD.bin

This supports up to a 3tb (2.2 useable) hard drive

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, Riff-Raff said:

Thank you sir. I saw that in your sig and already grab it. What to do about installing if the dvd drives are no good? What can I use?

The easiest is to swap the DVD mech from a different Xbox to at least setup the new hard drive.

Once the HDD has been formatted and has dashboard you can then FTP or use FATXplorer to add  everything else.

Cheers

SS Dave