OGXbox.com

Hexen Disk and Why It's So Good (Yeah Right).

SS_Dave

Why do people like the hexen disk?

I have a version 1.4 xbox with a Open Xenium with a Ind-5004.67 bios and a X2-5035.137 bios and that's set as the default boot bios

For the test install I used a  2 tb hard drive

1st load the hexen 2020 disk and cold boot.

2nd use option 3 (TSOP Flashed,Modchiped)

3rd use Option 3.5 (Chipped)

4th option 3.5.3 (New disk NTSC) now enter a password (friggen stupid idea) now sit back and watch it install all sorts of files and folders including a folder called ''Delete Me "".  Let Xbpartitioner 1.3 do it job and now I can reboot the Xbox without Hexen and it boots to unleash dash.

Ok I wan't XBMC so load Hexen disk and use Install Applications then install XBMC, More files been installed and more Delete Me  folder files!

I also wanted XBMC4Gamers so I added that as as Application and the same Delete Me stuff.

Reboot the Xbox without the Hexen disk and unleash opens now it now has a XBMC icon so press A to load XBMC and nothing it comes back to the unleash dash but it works if I run it from the apps folder and so does XBMC4Gamers.

Now I really want XBMC4Gamers as the default dash so I loaded up the Hexen disk and used the option 5 Dashboard tools

Then switch Switch dashboards option 5.1 and there  is no XBMC4Gamers but XBMC will do for now so I set that as the default dash on E drive(that's also where I installed XBMC and XBMC4Gamers)

And now reboot the Xbox without the Hexen Disk and it now locks up after the boot animation.

And using the IND bios is the same it locks up at the white IND bios screen.

Ok so lets load the hexen disk again and set the dash back to Unleash and reboot it now will boot to Unleash again.

The Hexen disk is now out on the road some where after it was as a frisbee out the door.

So now I load Slayer 2.7 and complete new large drive install and reboot 

FTP XBMC4Gamers to E drive and also FTP Xbpartitioner 1.3 to E drive

Open file explorer to run Xbpartitioner 1.3 and Format F and G drives to 926.78 gb each

FTP back to the Xbox and edit the X2config file on E drive to set xbmc4gamers on the E drive as the 1st boot dash

Now reboot the Xbox and now I have XBMC4Gamers as the default dash and can set about copying me games and the like across.

And this folks is why I love Hexen.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 3

I've never been a fan of its main dash GUI it leaves - if you're using UnleashX all the things I use most often are in sub-folders. I do not like that and all the unnecessary stuff it installs just in case you might be using a particular BIOS.  Where HeXEn still leads is as a one stop BIOS Flashing tool - it is reliable, safe and simple. What more do you want? 

However Heimdall's primary concern was to create as safe a default softmod installation package as possible. I think he was getting a little tired of answering the same questions again and again on the Xbox-Scene Xbox forum, particularly about how to fix messed up softmods.  So he designed HeXEn to be as well protected as possible to prevent that happening in the first place.

Perhaps he did not spend enough time thinking about the GUI design and just added more stuff to the HeXEn tool set as he went along, probably prompted by suggestions made in the forum. Its all undoubtedly useful but not to every user. It leaves a messy installation for both soft and hard-mods, that's the problem.

I've always been a SID/AID enthusiast which gives the user full choice, immediate full control and a clean, no nonsense installation. But it is undoubtedly true that If anything goes wrong with a SID/AID softmod it is less well protected unless you've chosen the appropriate options (Shadow C/Virtual Eeprom).

HeXEn has that protection by default so is intrinsically better to recommend to noobs.

Rocky5's XBST was created with the same ideals and is undoubtedly a more evolved tool set and better thought out in general.   

• Like 1

Hmmm..... I´m using TruHexen 2019 and TruHexen 2020 without ever having any problems. Also i have used Hexen 2018 one time also without any problem.

Back in the day i used Slayer' s and later FireFuckers X-Disk but both of them are more as outdated. And idk from where but, i have a Slayer's 3.3, 3.37 and 3.50 here. But better to have them as to need them. :D

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Hmmm..... I´m using TruHexen 2019 and TruHexen 2020 without ever having any problems. Also i have used Hexen 2018 one time also without any problem.

Back in the day i used Slayer' s and later FireFuckers X-Disk but both of them are more as outdated. And idk from where but, i have a Slayer's 3.3, 3.37 and 3.50 here. But better to have them as to need them. :D

The problem came when trying to set Xbmc as the default dash.

And also the Evox M8  bios files are corrupted you can not cold boot a dvd so if your hard drive won't boot your stuffed.

Anyway the Hexen disk flew across the road this morning.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Anyway the Hexen disk flew across the road this morning.

Hopefully you didn't hit someone with the disc.

How ever, why don't you make, maybe incl. the ogxbox com. togher, a install DVD which is better as Hexen/TruHexen and newer as Slayers and provide more options any of the available installer disc's toghter? I could spend 63 GB of XBox tools/apps/games/Hacks/trainer you name it.... I guess i have it (yea i'm a software hoarder but that's not as bad as throwing software away which could be helpfull - maybe (i just wrote: could and maybe!).

So i would be up for the idea of a new, maybe not only install disc.

22 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

I was going to try the hexen installer.....

Couldn't seem to get past the password screen so went to slayer disc and installed everything in under 10 mins as a total noob.

Hexen crap password = AYBX or Xbox

it's the same password for all versions

Cheers

SS Dave

And also the Evox M8  bios files are corrupted you can not cold boot a dvd so if your hard drive won't boot your stuffed.

That had me really worried as the only time I've used HeXEn for anything vital was flashing a TSOP and I used the 256K Evox M8+ F&G option.

I checked that yesterday and I had no problem cold booting an AID and an HeXEn disc on the TSOPed machine. So whether the problem described is specific to a particular Evox M8+ BIOS on the HeXEn disc or ones(s) included on a specific HeXEn version it is certainly not a general fault.

I'd be more inclined to think a disc media, disc burning or Xbox disc drive fault. Why? Because I installed HexIns (2017/18) to the HDD for the TSOP BIOS flash to avoid just such potential problems. I think that is the last version of HeXEn that included HexIns. 

Why TruHeXEn 2019/20 removed HexIns from the Stockfiles folder I'd actually like to know?

Edited by HDShadow

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

That had me really worried as the only time I've used HeXEn for anything vital was flashing a TSOP and I used the 256K Evox M8+ F&G option.

The No DVD EvoxM8 plus

I tested it on a Open Xenium as a default bios and on a Xblast chip as the default boot bios on a version 1.4 with both cases you could not cold boot a DVD (Original game,Copied Game,Install disk)

A different person could not load any DVD software from cold boot or the dash on a version 1.2 TSOP flash, That would be real good if the HDD was dead and that happen to a FB member on a board he got that was flash with it, lucky the seller sent a fee mod-chip to sort it out.

So Hexen has been used by me for the last time for any thing other than coasters with a hole in them so it's still useless.

When it come to flashing I use Xblast or Raincoat

If i had a better understanding in making a install DVD I would.

Cheers

SS Dave

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hexen crap password = AYBX or Xbox

it's the same password for all versions

Cheers

SS Dave

Cheers, I will give that a go if I ever bother to try using it again!
What a pointless feature!

46 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

Cheers, I will give that a go if I ever bother to try using it again!
What a pointless feature!

You normally only need to use the password when using the hexen files on the hdd. When doing an install from the main screen from dvd you shouldn’t get that?

Mind you it has been a while since I have used it. I think the idea of the password was to stop user f###ing things up by accident, they would have to do it on purpose 😀

Edited by Ging3rguy

43 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

You normally only need to use the password when using the hexen files on the hdd. When doing an install from the main screen from dvd you shouldn’t get that?

Mind you it has been a while since I have used it. I think the idea of the password was to stop user f###ing things up by accident, they would have to do it on purpose 😀

Nah that was trying to do a new install from the dvd!

I was like WTF is this? I aint set no password!

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The No DVD EvoxM8 plus

I tested it on a Open Xenium as a default bios and on a Xblast chip as the default boot bios on a version 1.4 with both cases you could not cold boot a DVD (Original game,Copied Game,Install disk)

A different person could not load any DVD software from cold boot or the dash on a version 1.2 TSOP flash, That would be real good if the HDD was dead and that happen to a FB member on a board he got that was flash with it, lucky the seller sent a fee mod-chip to sort it out.

So Hexen has been used by me for the last time for any thing other than coasters with a hole in them so it's still useless.

When it come to flashing I use Xblast or Raincoat

If i had a better understanding in making a install DVD I would.

Cheers

SS Dave

I guess it must be specific to that particular Evox M8+ version then. As said, I tested the version I mentioned (256KB Evox M8+ F&G on a v1.4 TSOP) yesterday cold booting two different discs and there were no problems.

I'm going back into my HeXEn archive and checking because I think those four "no DVD" ones are new additions which may only have been added to TruHeXEn. If so whoever customised and included the EvoX M8+ no DVD ones is to blame not HeXEn. The original 256KB evox.m8plus.fc.137.bin and its v1.6 sister BIOS are the ones I think that display as Evox M8 plus F and G and is the one I used on the TSOP which cold boots discs without issue.

1763206033_HeXEnBIOS.png.03e913575f8f67cc2d84e3c7e7afe019.png

As said I'm not a big fan of HeXEn but blame for the dodgy Evox M8 no DVD in TruHeXEn BIOS must be directed where it should be. The last actual named HeXEn disc update (2018) still used the same Evox M8+ versions and just removed the X3 BIOS and replaced them with a sharp BIOS and additional X2 ones.

What I can't forgive HeXEn for though is that just in launching its BIOS flash menu options to check the actual BIOS names the ******* thing actually repopulated my C:\drive leaving my UnleashX main dash with a new Config.xml, EvoX dash files, BIOS and .ini files (also one on E:\). Thankfully I was using my chipped Xbox and have backups of everything but it still wasted 15 minutes of my time sorting it out for no good reason.

Bad HeXEn! 

Edited by HDShadow

Here's a link to an earlier incarnation of hexen https://xbox-scene.xbins.org/forums/index.php?topic=729570.0 I read in another thread that the no dvd m8+ bios was meant for a sharp flash.

i think as more modders have put out versions they have created more bugs as they have removed, added and edited files.

i didn’t have any issues with the 2019 version but I just used it for the unleashx config.xml and skin

The EvoxM8 bios issue was the last nail in the coffin for Hexen.

It really started when I tried to flash a bios from a Hexen 2019 and after rebooting the Xbox my XBMC dash is now unleash.

I also noticed a option to remove Hexen footprint and all that does is make a folder called Delete Me

In the 2020 Hexen that's been fixed

Then the other night there was a FB member trying to find a new DVD drive because he could no longer boot from his Hexen disk and it also seemed to stop the DVD drive from  reading even from the Dashboard. After a bit of trying things reflashing the BIOS from the EvoxM8 that came from the 2020 Hexen fixed that, There was also a FB member that sold refurb boards with the Evox M8 No DVD bios the had to send out 2 free mod chips because of the Evox M8 NoDVD.

On the same night I tried to use Hexen 2020 to setup a 2tb HDD for XBMC4Gamers and as soon as I used Hexen to change the default dash the Xbox would freeze just after the boot animation unless it was set to Unleash and not XBMC and it was also the same result for 2 other users.

That when the disk became a frisbee.

I have tried to use Hexen more than once and each time it has pissed me off to the point I returned to Slayers 2.7 and FTP the updated programs across.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Zup bro, just for say thanks for the work now my Xbox is alive

I got a shattered 1.6 really cheap, after 1 year is like new, new case, DVD drive working, aladdin chip installed and a 128gb hdd(this is Provisional) I waiting the sata2IDE converter and put a 500gb hdd) also when I bought this the motherboard was pre hacked with wires so this just need a chip and that's it, anyway I flash the noDVD check bios thinking on the next update... So right now what's next?, just copy a lot of games to the hdd? Install emulators or use like media center I dunno this is a new word for me

Edited by dertio

1 hour ago, dertio said:

Zup bro, just for say thanks for the work now my Xbox is alive

I got a shattered 1.6 really cheap, after 1 year is like new, new case, DVD drive working, aladdin chip installed and a 128gb hdd(this is Provisional) I waiting the sata2IDE converter and put a 500gb hdd) also when I bought this the motherboard was pre hacked with wires so this just need a chip and that's it, anyway I flash the noDVD check bios thinking on the next update... So right now what's next?, just copy a lot of games to the hdd? Install emulators or use like media center I dunno this is a new word for me

I used truhexen 2020 to upgrade my hdd, went from a 200gb to a 2 tb, no issues whatsoever, I’m happy, I’m ftp’ing my ISO’s at the moment, halfway done, got about another 70 games to go. As far as dashboards it installed unleash and evox, got my emulators transferee and I can’t complain. Even got xbmc, yeah in unleash dash you can’t enter xbmc unless you go to applications but hey it’s just a push of a few buttons, Thanks to everyone in here for their input. 

5 minutes ago, the415giant said:

Even got xbmc, yeah in unleash dash you can’t enter xbmc unless you go to applications but hey it’s just a push of a few buttons

What BIOS are you using?

Cheers

SS Dave

What dash do you want as the default.

You can set that in the config file on C drive.

Change DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\xbmc\Default.xbe and tat will boot XBMC as the default and if you have XBMC4Gamers there it loads that as default.

Cheers

SS Dave