OGXbox.com

Pin Header - Pin Length

HDShadow

As I destroyed the pin header that came with the Aladdin chip and threw the remains away without thinking I want to buy a replacement but  do not know what size pins are best suited for this use.

Obviously double row, straight pins required (I assume the spacing is standard) but I'm surprised there is no common length for the pins - on Amazon/EBay etc there are a great mix of pin sizes ranging from under 10mm to 30mm long. What is recommended?  

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

As I destroyed the pin header that came with the Aladdin chip and threw the remains away without thinking I want to buy a replacement but  do not know what size pins are best suited for this use.

Obviously double row, straight pins required (I assume the spacing is standard) but I'm surprised there is no common length for the pins - on Amazon/EBay etc there are a great mix of pin sizes ranging from under 10mm to 30mm long. What is recommended?  

Here you go The LPC Debug Port is an unpopulated 2x8 2.54mm (0.1") footprint. Info from here https://xboxdevwiki.net/LPC_Debug_Port

Sorry but neither link actually addresses the question.

I'm sure the aliexpress ones are good for the purpose but the pin length info isn't included in the listing even under the spec details. It odd too because there's a link on the same page to a single row pin header which offers nine different lengths from 11.4mm to 30mm.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897706396.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.3.531046e42LRjIT

From memory I'm guessing that the one which came with the Aladdin chip used pins that were either 13mm or 15mm long but I was looking for confirmation.

Height may be an issue, it certainly is with caps. I'm replacing a 3300uF 10v one near the clock cap (v1.2/v1.3 Xbox) that looks a bit crusty and the MB donor I've been using has one but it is 30mm high. Its difficult but I determined there is actually only about 25mm clearance under the DVD drive so it can't be used. The crusty cap being replaced is only 20mm.

The Aladdin chip sits on the pins so would likely be uncomfortably close to that height if you used 25mm pins, possibly shorter ones too. Hence the question about the recommended length of the pins.

you cut to the length you want

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Straight-Connector-Arduino-Prototype/dp/B07DJVHXY8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36M7UTP965FFC&dchild=1&keywords=pin+header+double&qid=1596244718&sprefix=pinheader%2Caps%2C358&sr=8-1

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1