OGXbox.com

Evox M7 How To Upgrade

micielk

31 minutes ago, VCoupe376ci said:

Seems like the unicorn 1.5's are popping up everywhere recently

I was thinking the same I am sure this is the 3rd this week.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Haha 1

Ok so again step by step

I'll try to upgrade Evox M7 to Evox M8 to use G: drive

I checked Kernel and as I understand my Xbox is 1.4

2020080100053388_5f250f10c8804.png

Then I tried to update Evox via Slayers 2.7 but I got this error

2020080100093577_5f250f476c1a4.png

I read about that I need to flash via Hexen's Winbound, but I don't know how, I got 1mb bios, chip is unknown

14 minutes ago, micielk said:

Ok so again step by step

I'll try to upgrade Evox M7 to Evox M8 to use G: drive

I checked Kernel and as I understand my Xbox is 1.4

2020080100053388_5f250f10c8804.png

Then I tried to update Evox via Slayers 2.7 but I got this error

2020080100093577_5f250f476c1a4.png

I read about that I need to flash via Hexen's Winbound, but I don't know how, I got 1mb bios, chip is unknown

Take a picture of the motherboard so someone here can see if you have a modchip or tsop. From the information you have given it sounds like you have a 1.0/1.1 with a winbond tsop. Here’s a video on flashing a tsop, you don’t need to use hexen to flash it you can use slayer’s.

https://youtu.be/gIw8k5areQg

Edited by Ging3rguy

And DO NOT use the Evox M8 bios from any of the Hexen disks unless you don't want to cold boot the DVD drive and in some cases the DVD drive is disabled all together.

And it looks like you have a stock hard drive any way

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Bios 7b1 but it probably only work with a 160 gig drive if you have a IDE 500 gig it might work

What size drive are you planning on using?

Is it a modchip or the TSOP chip you are trying to flash.

Cheers

SS Dave

10 minutes ago, micielk said:

All I need is to use g drive, what would you like to suggest I should do. I tried to flash with 7b1 and got that message flash is not writeable

I think you mean the f partition if you only have a 500GB hdd, use a .67 bios as it gives you the option to have a 2TB hdd.

You need to give more info on the modchip or the version of the main board and what brand of TSOP chip.

and all the bios files on the Slayers disk probably will not support a 2tb hard drive any way.

Cheers

SS Dave

You still haven't answered my question in order to advise on the correct BIOS I need to know the type of chip you are trying to program

It is not helpful just saying that you need a G drive BIOS 

Cheers

SS Dave

That chip can not be updated without a special programmer.

On the Xbpartitioner 1.3 select extended partition 6 and press B 2 or 3 times until it is biggest it can get  then press Start to format

Cheers

SS Dave

43 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That chip can not be updated with a special programmer.

On the Xbpartitioner 1.3 select extended partition 6 and press B 2 or 3 times until it is biggest it can get  then press Start to format

Cheers

SS Dave

Unfortunatelly that won't work due of lack LBA48, only 120GB max on 6th partition or distribute 60GB on two partitions, as I read earlier I need Evox M8 to enable LBA48

2020080114003274_5f268cab03e75.png

You have a 29-wire mod installed.

To reprogram it, you will need a UV EPROM eraser and external EPROM programmer to write a new BIOS to that M27C2001 EPROM.

Best to remove it and either install an LPC-connected modchip - OpenXenium, XBlast Lite, Aladdin XT plus 2, or other newer design of modchip. Or, write enable your Xbox motherboard's TSOP flash memory chip and reflash it.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 2:33 PM, neakmenter said:

Anyone know if you can shadow a BIOS like PBL style over the top of a modchip like this?

I know it's basically running a kinda softmod messy patch (yuk?), but if possible it might be the easiest solution for the OP here if they're not up for soldering??

Yes, PBL loads a different kernel/BIOS into RAM. Replacing the one the Xbox booted from the modchip. 

You use a bootable from media (BFM) version of a BIOS with PBL.

So, perhaps OP would like to investigate using PBL and a tasty EvoM8+ F&G BFM image direct on the HDD to do a software workaround to get G drive ability.

Messy and complicated, but maybe more within some people's comfort zone, rather than breaking out the soldering iron to do fly surgery on a 29 wire mod! :D