OGXbox.com

XBox Stuttering Issue

kaurloto

Hey all - I'm getting consistent freezes/stuttering on my hard modded Xbox. You can see and hear the stutters interrupt the scrolling in XBMC in the video below (turn up volume to hear it) and some of the stats change to "Busy" at the same time. This occurs everywhere, in-game and in dashboards like UnleashX, but this was the easiest way to capture it. I upgraded this Xbox a month ago and have been playing a lot without problems until now; copied ~600GB of data to it so far. I'm afraid I've just worn out the CPU/PSU. I even plugged the Xbox into my UPS to make sure it gets clean power, but it still happens.

Specs: Hard Modded Xbox 1.1 with Xecuter Pro 1.2 chip. Flashed banks 1+2 (512k) with X2 5035 BIOS. Banks 2 & 3 (256k+256k) are unused. Upgraded 2TB SSHD with 80 conductor IDE cable and SATA to IDE adapter. Disk space split evenly between F:\ & G:\ partitions, formatted with 64k clusters. Thermal paste has been replaced on CPU & GPU with AS5. Clock capacitor removed.

Tried swapping in and configuring a different 2TB SATA HDD with the same result. Currently testing the HDD, IDE-Cable, and SATA-to-IDE-Adapter in a different Softmodded Xbox to isolate the problem and determine if the issue carries over with the upgrade cable/adapter. Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by kaurloto

Sounds like a bad ground. What version Xbox? Are all the screws holding the main board down that and tight? I hope the Xbox still has the metal cage.

Also what AV lead. 

Can you post a pic of the main board?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Sounds like a bad ground. What version Xbox? Are all the screws holding the main board down that and tight? I hope the Xbox still has the metal cage.

Also what AV lead. 

Can you post a pic of the main board?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Sup Dave! Thanks for helping as always.

Xbox version 1.1

Metal cage intact.

Original AV composite cable & 7A 125V power cable.

spacer.png

I took out the main board and PSU to investigate. The ground screws and standoffs look clean. But the solder on the PSU for the power cable connector is cracked, the connection is loose and can wiggle around so maybe this is the cause? I have spare Xbox's and can test a donor PSU.

spacer.png

A new problem now though: I fucked up when I was taking things apart and broke the solder connecting the gray wire from my Xecuter 2.1/2 Pro modchip to the main board. This is the same connector that has the ground wire for the mod chip. I'm not sure what this  gray wire does, but I need to solder it back on now... I don't have any soldering experience, and this one seems especially delicate attaching to a single tiny pin hole.

spacer.png

Edited by kaurloto

I need to figure out how to solder this wire back on, if I can reuse the existing solder still on the wire, or what new solder to use, and what kind of tools I need. A friend recently gave me a few soldering irons so I'll have to try them out see if they work. Even came with some lead soldering wire too.

1st and most importantly if you are not confident in soldering DO NOT practice on the Xbox go and find a old circuit board and practice on that.

I would suggest you solder it to the Alternative D0 point on the bottom of the board as it is a bigger solder point.

1420258271_Btpoints.PNG.07730d9790beb1a79550690c51242720.PNG

Or you could link the D0 to ground(the black line) as in the above pic's and tape the gray wire up.

The function of the gray wire was to allow the stock BIOS to be used so you would not get banned from Xbox Live.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

1st and most importantly if you are not confident in soldering DO NOT practice on the Xbox go and find a old circuit board and practice on that.

I would suggest you solder it to the Alternative D0 point on the bottom of the board as it is a bigger solder point.

1420258271_Btpoints.PNG.07730d9790beb1a79550690c51242720.PNG

Or you could link the D0 to ground(the black line) as in the above pic's and tape the gray wire up.

The function of the gray wire was to allow the stock BIOS to be used so you would not get banned from Xbox Live.

Cheers

SS Dave

Cool, I think I have an old VCR in the garage I can open up and use for soldering practice, I'll need to get some wire though. Is lead solder the correct kind to use?

When I'm ready I'll use the alternative D0 point, I already tested out the placement and the cable has enough length to wrap around underneath no problem.