OGXbox.com

Returning To the Og Xbox!

Fixified

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member from Norway who's looking to get back into the XBOX Community.
Had to sell off my collection due to moving abroad, but have now moved back and realized my mistake.

Currently buying a few xboxes, and looking to do some modding.
Haven't soldered anything in years, but have watched a bunch of videos lately on xbox mods.

If anyone has any recommendations on what Solder or Flux to use, I'd gladly take all the help I can get!
Locally it seems as if I can only get lead free solder.
I'm purchasing a Dibotech zd 8936 soldering station locally, and I'll be ordering some 30 AWG Solid core wire off eBay.

I'm glad to be back, and looking forward to being a part of this forum!

Hello Fixified

Welcome to ogxbox.com

I would also recommend you get some leaded solder and you may need to order it from overseas as a lot of countries are banning lead

The lead free solder needs more heat to solder with and you are not meant to mix the  2 types

I use a flux paste that's in a syringe.  If you are new to soldering I would highly recommend you practice soldering on some old circuit boards 1st.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you for your replies!

I've sourced both flux and solder from a local store, but not quiet sure if it's the one to get. 

Loddetinn 1,5mm på snelle 0,1kgLoddefett Weller LF25
Says this one is a 60/40 mix, and this was the only rosin based flux I was able to find locally.

Is there any reason why a pen or syringe would be better?
Thanks in advance
- Fixified

There is no real reason I have used a syringe type for 25 + years so stuck in my ways I guess it is also easy to apply but the paste you got will be fine just use a small flat screwdriver to apply.

I should have mentioned to get some solder wick to remove excess solder. Something like this. 

396167342_solderwick.PNG.b267fe3de8d591e721f4527792179a5c.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ging3rguy said:

Hi, welcome back, you should be able to get  your questions answered here.

This is what I use for solder other brands will do the same, just go for a 60/40 mix with a low melt temp and for flux I would go for a rosin flux pen, less mess.

309 60EN 5C 0.5MM R 250G - Solder Wire, 0.5mm, 250g, 180°C

21 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

There is no real reason I have used a syringe type for 25 + years so stuck in my ways I guess it is also easy to apply but the paste you got will be fine just use a small flat screwdriver to apply.

I should have mentioned to get some solder wick to remove excess solder. Something like this. 

396167342_solderwick.PNG.b267fe3de8d591e721f4527792179a5c.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you for all the help!
Ended up having to order the solder and flux online as my company due to new legislation.
Picked up the soldering station, some extra tips, and desolder wick. 
Solder is of the brand Stannol, melting point 186c, mix is 60/40 (Sn60/Pb40). 
Looking forward to get practicing after years! 
xy1U60E.pngiQOdPT2.png

Best,
- Fixified