OGXbox.com

[Solved] Can't Replace Hdd

crazycyber

Hi, I'm new on modding OG Xbox 1.0 and after a few days reading over the net I found this thread https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1474-identify-mod-chip/ I think it's similar to mine

IMG_20200718_141720_opt.jpg.716d7f12e43aeed03c2ec6782ec7be17.jpgIMG_20200718_141731_opt.jpg.d165633fff2877d158fabdc6f7e22ae8.jpg

The problem that I have is that my HDD dies a week ago showing error 07, then I found an IDE Segate ST3802110A (80 GB), check compatibility here https://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list, from an old PC and I have also burn a DVD -R with HeXEn 2018 that I found in this forum, but when I turn on with a long press it does't read the disc and only get the error 16. I never before saw  the  mod chip dashboard because when I get the Xbox in 2002 they told me the mod chip only works to read non original games if I long press the power button until the led becomes red, so I don't know which version of mod chip or bios I have thats why I can't replace my HDD.

After I can replace my HDD i would like to update my modchip bios and install a newest dashboard for making mi Xbox to a emulator media and take advantage of this 80 GB HDD.

Thanks for your help

Are you cold booting the disc ie. putting it in the disc tray, closing it then shutting down and restarting?

If you've installed a new empty HDD it should offer you formatting and dashboard install options.

Once a HeXEn disc spins up it still takes about 30 seconds to boot, you do have to be patient.

With a chip whether the HDD can be locked or not is irrelevant so the compatibility list is not applicable. One reason for using a chip is so that you do not have to lock the HDD to be able to use it.

You need advice from somebody who knows that chip but it sounds to me quite normal to get error 07 and then error 16 if there was a HDD problem. But with a new or empty HDD installed and a cold booted HeXEn or AID disc it should all be working.

Forget about the BIOS at this point, if it was working before then it should be working now with a new HDD. Just concentrate on getting the new HDD to work and a dash installed.  

13 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Are you cold booting the disc ie. putting it in the disc tray, closing it then shutting down and restarting?

If you've installed a new empty HDD it should offer you formatting and dashboard install options.

Once a HeXEn disc spins up it still takes about 30 seconds to boot, you do have to be patient.

With a chip whether the HDD can be locked or not is irrelevant so the compatibility list is not applicable. One reason for using a chip is so that you do not have to lock the HDD to be able to use it.

You need advice from somebody who knows that chip but it sounds to me quite normal to get error 07 and then error 16 if there was a HDD problem. But with a new or empty HDD installed and a cold booted HeXEn or AID disc it should all be working.

Forget about the BIOS at this point, if it was working before then it should be working now with a new HDD. Just concentrate on getting the new HDD to work and a dash installed.  

Yes I've made a cold booting, the HDD is empty formatted as FAT, the HeXEn disc spins but don't boot after the flubber animation shows the 07 error. Can you tell me where to download AID disc?

A HeXEn disc should boot, using AID instead would just be wasting another disc. You shouldn't be getting 07 error, it should detect the disc is booting and stay on the Xbox/Microsoft screen. It sounds to me as though either the disc isn't burned correctly or its a media issue or a disc drive problem.

Have you tried cold booting a genuine original Xbox game disc, not just a backup? If it doesn't boot it could be the disc drive is going bad or the chip isn't working or both.

The mod chip is a Aladdin chip  with a 256kb size BIOS and can easily be reflashed, The way it's wired in you Xbox it has the ability for the chip to be disabled by using the eject button  to power on.

It was done that way for Xbox Live.

Service Error 07:
Info: Hard disk timeout.
Solution: Check the IDE Connection/Cable and check the Power Supply.

I would think the hard drive has failed

If you have a new hard drive fit it the load your hexen disk and shut down the Xbox and turn on with a tap of the power button, Hexen can take a while to load and the 1st thing you will notice is the eject led is red and a black screen just wait.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

From the description, if the original game was cold booted, and its producing those errors crazycyber has the new (unlockable) HDD fitted and its working. Error 5 is unlocked HDD which is correct if the chip is not switched on. However with the chip on it provokes the generic 'somethings wrong': error 21.

An original game disc should cold boot with the chip on. Its not so unless it is an IDE cable connection issue the two most likely culprits are the disc drive or the chip.

I suppose there is another possibility too -  the new HDD has not had the jumpers set to Master. Never tested what would happen with a chipped machine with the HDD set to slave when cold booting an original disc but I'd still check that anyway.

If the mod chip is working and as long as there is a unlocked hard drive present(It can be blank new drive, A used PC drive,A used unlocked Xbox drive) it will boot a install disk from cold boot,

That's providing the DVD drive is working .

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 hours ago, crazycyber said:

Do you think if a make the C and E partitions with Xbox HD Maker on my PC (I don't have the EEPROM.bin) and then plugged to the Xbox could I boot from HeXEn DVD?

why don’t you just use xboxhdm to install the files you need for the hardmod, then you don’t  need hexen? Are you sure that you dvd drive is reading aftermarket disks?

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [Solved] Can't Replace Hdd