OGXbox.com

Softmodding XBox Using a Psp 1000

kaurloto

Hey all! I couldn't find much information online about this so I wanted to post it here so that others would be able to learn from my experience.

TLDR; If you don't have any compatible flash drives but you have a PSP1000, you can use it to softmod your Xbox!

I recently softmodded my first few Xbox's and I was having the hardest time getting the save files to show up. I followed all the proper procedures and tried 5 different <4GB flash drives without luck. The USBs I used were being recognized as memory sticks in the Xbox, but they would all show 5000+ blocks and no data. After lots of research and troubleshooting I found some scattered information that you could use a PSP to do it, and it works! Here's how I set it up:

Requirements:

a.) Original PSP1000 (This may not work with the later versions e.g. the "slim" PSP2000/3000 or PSP Go)

b.) 32MB Memory Stick PRO Duo; the original SD card that came with your PSP (Some larger ones may work like the 1GB/4GB but I have not tested these)

c.) USB-Mini cable (to plug into your PSP)

d.) Xbox-to-USB adapter (to plug your PSP into your Xbox)

e.) Softmod save files (e.g. from Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.zip)

f.) Xplorer360 (to copy the saves from your PC to your PSP)

g.) msvcr71.dll (sometimes required to launch Xplorer360; store it in Xplorer360's working directory)

Steps:

1.) Insert your Memory Stick PRO Duo into your PSP (if it warns you that the memory stick cannot be read, ignore this)

2.) Navigate your PSP to [Settings] > [USB Connection] and press X (this puts your PSP in "memory card" mode and acts like a USB flash drive)

2.) Plug your USB-Mini cable into both your PSP and the Xbox-to-USB adapter

4.) Plug the Xbox to USB adapter into your Xbox and allow the Xbox to format it (you can unplug/replug to ensure it is consistently recognized)

5.) Unplug the USB-Mini cable from the Xbox-to-USB adapter and plug it into your PC

6.) Ignore any prompts to Format the drive

7.) Launch Xplorer360 as admin and copy the save files over per-usual

8.) Safely eject

9.) ???

11.) Profit

Hope this helps some folks! I imagine that not many people will use this method, but if it's popular I wouldn't mind expanding the instructions to include detailed Xplorer360 steps etc. For now though, I figured people would have sourced those details already since they're method-agnostic.

OG PSPs FTW!

Edited by kaurloto
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info

I thought I would give it a go as I had a PSP lying around

I followed all the steps except instead of Xplorer360 I used FATXplorer and that worked the same.

The strange thing is the same  memory card in a USB adaptor is seen by win10 and wants to format it and is not recognized by FATXplorer or the Xbox until it's in the PSP.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 2:36 AM, Raja said:

The older first  generation Garmin GPS Works the same way. May be other brand GPS works as well.

I think its any device that can act as a usb flash drive when connected via a usb port. Though I'm not sure they are all happy with being formatted into whatever the xbox needs.

third gen ipod nano 4gb works too, though if you want to use it as an ipod again you need to know how to restore it, but if you cant find a workable usb drive 3 gen ipod nano's can be got cheap, 10 quid from cex for a scratched up one to 20 for a clean one.

i got a 4gb model just to hold the softmod files, it was pink and battered but it works, dont know if other sizes work, and ipod shuttles dont work.

hope this helps someone, finding the small cheap usb drives that work as memory cards isn't easy these days so alternatives are handy, for those wondering its not so much the size of the drive that matters but it must have proper usb 1 or 1,1 compatibility usb2 that works on usb 1 is not the same as true compatibility it seems to matter to the OGXBOX.

i used to have an xbox360 storage stick the usb one and that would never work either, and that was a fatx stick, as different people try different types of usb media we should have a sticky somewhere listing all the drives, cameras, satnavs and media players etc, so users could find them easily.

thanks,

aly.

Edited by sinclairuser
correction