OGXbox.com

Anyone Ever Tried a Flash Solution?

titchgamer

Temperature testing I have done on the GPU using a fluke temperature probe showed no drop in temperature with new paste where the CPU was better on some but not all.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

48 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Temperature testing I have done on the GPU using a fluke temperature probe showed no drop in temperature with new paste where the CPU was better on some but not all.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Well I hope it makes a good difference as 46 on idle seems to high to me.

hate to think what it would be playing for a hour heh.

2 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

Really? Damn! 

thought the chip was only rated for 80 max?

You can control temp with your dash, the only problem is as soon as you play a game that stops working, if you are concerned about the temp adjust the fan speed in your bios. The Xbox will just turn off if it gets to hot, I have read that it cuts out at 72 C.

Just now, Ging3rguy said:

You can control temp with your dash, the only problem is as soon as you play a game that stops working, if you are concerned about the temp adjust the fan speed in your bios. The Xbox will just turn off if it gets to hot, I have read that it cuts out at 72 C.

Yeah this is the issue really, I cant see what the temp is of the chips while in game which is obv when it will work hardest, But at over 50% of its max in idle it seems to me to be running warm.
But I had read while idle it should be mid 30's to 40.

I intend on fitting a temp monitor in the future but they are coming from china so may be some time on that one lol.

Either way I dont think it could be worse with some fresh paste as this stuff is rock solid and looks like it has air bubbles in it!

I might try playing halo for 10 mins then turn off and back on to see what the reading is then, I had heard unleash X is not that acurate with its temps and always reads high but it might give me some idea of the variance to compare.

16 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

Yeah this is the issue really, I cant see what the temp is of the chips while in game which is obv when it will work hardest, But at over 50% of its max in idle it seems to me to be running warm.
But I had read while idle it should be mid 30's to 40.

I intend on fitting a temp monitor in the future but they are coming from china so may be some time on that one lol.

Either way I dont think it could be worse with some fresh paste as this stuff is rock solid and looks like it has air bubbles in it!

I might try playing halo for 10 mins then turn off and back on to see what the reading is then, I had heard unleash X is not that acurate with its temps and always reads high but it might give me some idea of the variance to compare.

I have some arctic silver but have never used it, I have never removed the paste and have seen some f###ed boards from owners just levering off the heat sinks. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Edited by Ging3rguy

I have some arctic silver but have never used it, I have never removed the paste and have seen some f###ed boards from owners just levering off the heat sinks. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Well the one ones I have pulled off were idling at 50 something so I think it would of broke sooner rather than later heh.

Fingers crossed it all goes back together again and stays cooler!

So little update:
The paste remover came today and I cleaned all the chips and sinks off, applied new paste and crossed my fingers hoping for the best.....

So on start up she started ok, no issues and I left it on the idle screen for 15 mins to warm up.
Strangely and disappointingly it climbed up to 52 degrees which is what it was reading before I changed the paste.....

On the plus side though I then thought lets give it a real test and played DOA3 for 15 mins.
No problems of GFX glitches etc and when I left game I was still sat at 52 degrees so cant be bad right???

2 hours ago, titchgamer said:

So little update:
The paste remover came today and I cleaned all the chips and sinks off, applied new paste and crossed my fingers hoping for the best.....

So on start up she started ok, no issues and I left it on the idle screen for 15 mins to warm up.
Strangely and disappointingly it climbed up to 52 degrees which is what it was reading before I changed the paste.....

On the plus side though I then thought lets give it a real test and played DOA3 for 15 mins.
No problems of GFX glitches etc and when I left game I was still sat at 52 degrees so cant be bad right???

If you want a different temperature try a different dash😀

If you want a different temperature try a different dash😀

Well long as it stays where it is then ime ok heh.

Its been FTP’ing over files for the last few hours and stayed pretty consistent temp wise.

seems to cap out at 55.8 then drop back down to 55.

I have read this about right temp wise and that most dashes read consistently high so think ime good.

I checked the exhaust with the thermal camera and its only pushing out 38.

it seems I was slightly missled by what I thought was a trusted source regarding average temps for idle and running.

Since found most people saying their consoles sit around 55 so I am happy leaving it be and playing some halo after the FTP is finished.

still feeling a little light headed from the cleaner so I think I will wait until its a nice day to do the other consoles heat sinks so I can do it outside lol

Install a temp sensor or two under the cpu and gpu block close to the die.

And 55 is fine if you have normal ambient temps. In case you' re sitting outside in Alaska the 55 could be a bit hot. ;) Atm i'm still working on my slim (~50% done) and i have idle temps about 40°C and ~25/26°C room Temp. on a test run i had between 52 and 55°C.  I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as termalpaste and well, i guess i ahve o tell, i have cooler on the gpu and cpu so, you could say i'm cheating a little. :D And yea no DVD (ofc slim) and no normal harddrive. For that i have used an SATA to IDE and a normal 500 GB SSD with no housing. So there ist not much which could produce heat whcih makes me more a cheater i guess. :D  And the build isn't final yet. After i saw the lates Video from " Tech On Top" ( Link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5k-40BFkU ) i guess i will change some more things. Right now i sleeve all the cables. When it's done i will post some pics but ofc it will not look like any close to that nice little beast from Tech on top. That guy is pretty good in my opinion.

Found some topos? Tell me where and you get some more for free. :D

24 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Install a temp sensor or two under the cpu and gpu block close to the die.

And 55 is fine if you have normal ambient temps. In case you' re sitting outside in Alaska the 55 could be a bit hot. ;) Atm i'm still working on my slim (~50% done) and i have idle temps about 40°C and ~25/26°C room Temp. on a test run i had between 52 and 55°C.  I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as termalpaste and well, i guess i ahve o tell, i have cooler on the gpu and cpu so, you could say i'm cheating a little. :D And yea no DVD (ofc slim) and no normal harddrive. For that i have used an SATA to IDE and a normal 500 GB SSD with no housing. So there ist not much which could produce heat whcih makes me more a cheater i guess. :D And the build isn't final yet. After i saw the lates Video from " Tech On Top" ( Link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5k-40BFkU ) i guess i will change some more things. Right now i sleeve all the cables. When it's done i will post some pics but ofc it will not look like any close to that nice little beast from Tech on top. That guy is pretty good in my opinion.

Found some topos? Tell me where and you get some more for free. :D

Thankfully not in Alaska but it does get pretty cool here in the UK over winter LOL.
Just wet and humid atm and to be fair its been pretty hot today.
This one is stock v1.1 so no additional cooling on this one and the Only other thing I have changed on it is the HDD which I have swapped for a SD card adapter, My DVD drive is also shot in this one so thats been unplugged so no heat generation off that either 😛

The other console I plan to change the paste on is a stock 1.0 which obv has the additional CPU fan. That one is fitted with a CF card adapter but has a working DVD drive.

I have ordered a pair of LCD temp monitors from ebay, but they are coming from china so may be a while waiting for them.....

Thats a very funky looking slim! Bit beyond my skill level though, I suck at soldering lol

Edited by titchgamer

The temps on this Xbox only toggled by 1 degree up and down over a 12 period 

It's got the stock fan and I left the GPU heat sink and because the CPU heatsink was easy to move when cold I changed the heatsink paste to Arctic Silver 5 and I painted the heatsink a flat black.

IMG_20200725_144419.thumb.jpg.8b30cfa524dd5267af862b756b3afeeb.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

The GPU temperature is actually the mother board temperature as the sencore is about 20 mm toward the front from the MCPX chip.

I stuck a temperature probe in the fan outlet and 2 hours of idling while setting up a XBMC4Gamers  the top temp was 38c.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The GPU temperature is actually the mother board temperature as the sencore is about 20 mm toward the front from the MCPX chip.

I stuck a temperature probe in the fan outlet and 2 hours of idling while setting up a XBMC4Gamers  the top temp was 38c.

Cheers

SS Dave

Ahhh I thought it was odd to have a mobo temp LOL
I have not noticed my "mobo" reading exceed 45 since the thermal paste change, which is cooler than before as I think the max I noticed before was 52? 

When I tested the exhaust with my thermal camera I was getting the same 38 read out pretty much consistently for several hours so I think its running as efficiently as it can now :)

Just spent a hour playing Halo, Was nice to actually just play instead of monitoring and experimenting lol.

Would of played longer but ya know... Life... heh

Coming back to your heat sink Dave what did you paint it with out of interest?
I am quite intrigued by this colour changing black magic LOL
Did you just spray it black with regular paint or use some sort of special heat resistant paint?

I think I am basically done mod wise with this Xbox now and will hopefully be good for another 20 years unless the caps need doing at some point 😛

Ok ok, its offtopic but just open a new topic since i already have highjacked this one 3 post above  ... .;) :D

So i got that Crystal X-Box today and yay, it' s a v1.4 with a wierd Fan and a Philips DVD Drive. Looks like some caps have been already repleaced and some (the three on the CPU) need to be replaced asap. But over all, for just 30 euros, not a bad buy i guess.

I think she will get a nice little xenium and the common sata make over and some new caps.

IMG_20200729_195157.jpg

IMG_20200729_195210.jpg

IMG_20200729_200101.jpg

IMG_20200729_200127.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
Removed a typo, if you finde more you can keep them.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Well done and the RGB led's look good.

Cheers

SS Dave

Cheers, I am happy with how the mod came out, Wasnt sure how well it was going to work but the Cage lid does a reasonable job of reflecting the light and the White Vinyl I used on the Jewel defuses the light well.

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I like the jewel mod.

Btw. here some inspiration for your next X-Box. :

Edit : Hmmm.... no video  LInk : hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLfYTDVrjLQ

Thats cool!

I do have some temp monitors on way but not so much of a worry now I have changed the thermal paste I hope.

The paste change on this one went much smoother than the last!