OGXbox.com

Anyone Ever Tried a Flash Solution?

titchgamer

I was talking to someone about my A51 arcade cab this morning and how I had changed the old failing IDE HDD out for a flash solution.

And as a result it got me thinking if anyone had ever done this with the XBOX and did it work?

You can but IDE Flash card adapters really cheap like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Insertion-Connects-Interface-SD-CF-IDE/dp/B000YUMLPI?th=1

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SD-To-3-5-40Pin-Male-IDE-Hard-Disk-Drive-Adapter-Card-3-5-IDE/303593957108?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D633b9ac4a9054d3292235044254373aa%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D303593957108%26itm%3D303593957108%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A39467bb8-c854-11ea-ad71-74dbd180435c|parentrq%3A5dda769d1730aadcf4c6bb5efffbfed4|iid%3A1

I remember from doing my cab that some are better than others and some just dont work, But I figured I would ask as it could potentially be a better option than using the old IDE HDD's or using a sata converter?

Edited by titchgamer

I have 3 of these https://www.amazon.com/SDHC-40Pin-Male-Adapter-SD-3-5/dp/B07G29TZPS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sdhc+to+ide&qid=1595009023&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Also can confirm SDXC 512 GB card works in this unit.

SD cards cost much less compared compact flash card with higher capacity.

Also I have had no problems with the stock 40 wire IDE cable

5 minutes ago, xicat487 said:

I have 3 of these https://www.amazon.com/SDHC-40Pin-Male-Adapter-SD-3-5/dp/B07G29TZPS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sdhc+to+ide&qid=1595009023&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Also can confirm SDXC 512 GB card works in this unit.

SD cards cost much less compared compact flash card with higher capacity.

Also I have had no problems with the stock 40 wire IDE cable

Awesome! Works ok with the cd rom drive as well?
I was wondering how compatible the SD ones would be as no jumpers.

1 minute ago, DobaMuffin said:

I don't think you can lock those adapters. If that's the case, it would only work on hard modded systems. But since titchgamer has a hard modded system, that wouldn't be an issue.

Noobish q...

Is a flashed TSOP system classed as a hard mod as you have to solder the points? Or is a hard mod just mod chipped?

6 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

Noobish q...

Is a flashed TSOP system classed as a hard mod as you have to solder the points? Or is a hard mod just mod chipped?

If I'm not mistaken, it is classified as a hardmod. I know if you mess it up, then you need to install a modchip, or flash the tsop flash chip directly with a new bios.

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

@ xicat487 : How about the game loading times compared to an ATA or SATA HDD in the XBox?

I use a SD to IDE adaptor and the load speed is about the same as the speed is governed by the IDE infrastructure that the Xbox has.

And I have not seen any of the adapters that can be locked so they are only good for hard modded (TSOP Flashed, Modchipped) Xbox's.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

The drive can not be locked.

I am in the process of filling the drive, but with 64 GB of data running XBMC4GAMERS the system boots in in abut 5-7 seconds after the X3 logo disappears.

As SS_Dave noted the this will hit the max speed of the IDE. Verses my Toshiba 1TB drive with the same data boot times are faster and more consistent.

At times the Toshiba will fail to POST because the spin up, seek time on startup would cause a HDD failure dashboard error.

I believe the big benefit is the stock 40 wire IDE cable can be used saving cost along with no SATA adapter lottery problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titchgamer said:

Great thanks for the info guys,

I have one of those IDE to SD converters upstairs so I think I will give it a shot.
Gota be better than a HDD :D

Not really I would just use a hard drive.

There is not noticeable speed difference between a 5400 rpm,7200 rpm ,SSD drive. The difference is when using FATXplorer or a stand alone drive cloner.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Not really I would just use a hard drive.

There is not noticeable speed difference between a 5400 rpm,7200 rpm ,SSD drive. The difference is when using FATXplorer or a stand alone drive cloner.

Cheers

SS Dave

I was thinking more along the lines of long term reliability and less heat build up.

I have a 128gb CF card and IDE adapter as well as a SD-IDE adapter knocking around in my parts box I could make use of.

I managed to find a article regarding speed differences on a xbox between SD, SSD and PATA drives earlier (no CF). The SD was actually the slowest of the lot but we are talking 2-3 seconds so not really worth shouting about.

realistically whatever you use will be throttled by the bus speed of the XBOX I would assume but now I know its possible I will give it a try and see how it works. 

I had totally forgotten I had these adapters until today! 
would be good to actually make use of them, The one is still sealed in packaging lol

Just another random thought I had....

If using a flash solution such as the CF or SD cards, Is it possible to transfer files to and from the system without the need for FTP?

Can you plug them into a PC and copy files over as you would normally?

Or is it a unrecognised format/structure if you plug it into a PC? 

I did try googling around that one but only thing anyone seems to do is FTP?

1 hour ago, titchgamer said:

Just another random thought I had....

If using a flash solution such as the CF or SD cards, Is it possible to transfer files to and from the system without the need for FTP?

Can you plug them into a PC and copy files over as you would normally?

Or is it a unrecognised format/structure if you plug it into a PC? 

I did try googling around that one but only thing anyone seems to do is FTP?

Yes you can you need to format and install a dashboard on the card in a Xbox 1st  as if it was a hard drive, That formats it as Fatx and sets the partitions.

Then using a good quality SD to USB you can the use FATXplorer to transfer the files or plug the whole IDE to CF/SD adaptor in to the computer.

Well it worked for me that way.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes you can you need to format and install a dashboard on the card in a Xbox 1st  as if it was a hard drive, That formats it as Fatx and sets the partitions.

Then using a good quality SD to USB you can the use FATXplorer to transfer the files or plug the whole IDE to CF/SD adaptor in to the computer.

Cheers

SS Dave

Great thanks :D

On 7/18/2020 at 4:56 PM, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

So I am a little confused and need putting on the right track LOL

I installed my SD flash solution and installed the dash etc with slayer 2.7 all good. I also FTP'd a copy of HALO over just to check everything was ok which it was but now I would like to just transfer the stuff straight to the SD card.

But I can not seem to see or be able to open the F drive where my games folder is located using explorer 360?
Is there some trick to this or something I aint worked out yet? 
I assume F drive would be partition 5?

Cheers,

360e.png

Edited by titchgamer

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

I used FATXplorer Beta version.

Partition  6 = F drive

Partition 7 = G drive

SS Dave

Hmmm not showing 6 or 7.... 

Ile try the beta version you mentioned :)

15 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I only ever tried Explorer 360 once and I had problems reading SD memory cards that worked in the Xbox as memory cards

SS Dave

I just tried this one?
https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

But it wont recognise the SD card?
Well assuming I am doing it right, I click on the devices tab and then refresh but nothing shows up?

Edited by titchgamer

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I found some SD to usb adaptors would not work 

SS Dave

I have the SD card plugged straight into the Laptop.

I am also trying to FTP stuff over but other than Halo nothing will transfer :(

I keep getting the following error:

Response:    553 Requested action not taken