OGXbox.com

Weird Problem With Temps On Newly Modded V1.6

bulkchart32

well, i modded my 2nd xbox tonight and i'm having a weird problem. on the home screen, the cpu temp is slowly rising. the temp limit was set at 50 c and it would get up to about 51c and the fan would kick up to about 3.0x. so i raised the temp limit to 55c. the xbox is slowly climbing to that temp. it's sitting at 54c right now.  what is causing this and how do i fix it? my 1st modded xbox is a version 1.4 and it idles in the 40's at 1.0x fan speed. btw, i changed the 3 caps in front of the heat sink on both systems.i also changed the cpu thermal paste on both systems(i didn't change the gpu thermal paste).

Edited by bulkchart32

20 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Xbox 1.6's read about 15 c hotter that 1.0 - 1.4 boards, my 1.6 runs at 64c all the time.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

why do they do that? should i just turn up the temp limit to 70c?

Something with the data stream on the 1.6 

IMG_20200715_175918.thumb.jpg.346b76b41c07f3710f0ebf5fa029aa7e.jpg   IMG_20200715_175934.thumb.jpg.480e8b551322a063846020e03a353954.jpg

Check the temps and then compare the time between the 2 pics the HDD temp would be more like the true temp

I would just set the fan to around 30%

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

I obviously don't know what part of the world bulkchart32 is in but the UnleashX dash reporting a v1.6's temperatures for both the CPU and MB in the mid-50's Centigrade is absolutely normal for this time of year in the UK with ambient temperatures typically averaging 25°+C.

If the ambient temperature is 30°+C then you can expect higher reported Xbox temperatures too. If it goes above 55°C I put the fan speed up to x2. So far this year I've not had any temperatures reported higher than 57°C.

Xbox v1.4 and other versions always report noticeably lower temperatures in exactly the same conditions and often significant variations between CPU and MB too. I have a v1.1 on the TV shelf immediately above the v1.6, in fact closer to the TV and yet that rarely goes above 45°C even with extended use and the fan speed set a x1.

If you want what I believe are likely more accurate temperature reporting use XBMC. In exactly the same conditions it will tell you your Xbox is 7 - 10°C lower than UnleashX has been reporting and if you've set the fan to Auto temperature control it'll often run slower than 20% (x1) if you have it set up to use 10% (x0.5) minimum speed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Something with the data stream on the 1.6 

IMG_20200715_175918.thumb.jpg.346b76b41c07f3710f0ebf5fa029aa7e.jpg   IMG_20200715_175934.thumb.jpg.480e8b551322a063846020e03a353954.jpg

Check the temps and then compare the time between the 2 pics the HDD temp would be more like the true temp

I would just set the fan to around 30%

Cheers

SS Dave

what dashboard is that?

3 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I obviously don't know what part of the world bulkchart32 is in but the UnleashX dash reporting a v1.6's temperatures for both the CPU and MB in the mid-50's Centigrade is absolutely normal for this time of year in the UK with ambient temperatures typically averaging 25°+C.

If the ambient temperature is 30°+C then you can expect higher reported Xbox temperatures too. If it goes above 55°C I put the fan speed up to x2. So far this year I've not had any temperatures reported higher than 57°C.

Xbox v1.4 and other versions always report noticeably lower temperatures in exactly the same conditions and often significant variations between CPU and MB too. I have a v1.1 on the TV shelf immediately above the v1.6, in fact closer to the TV and yet that rarely goes above 45°C even with extended use and the fan speed set a x1.

If you want what I believe are likely more accurate temperature reporting use XBMC. In exactly the same conditions it will tell you your Xbox is 7 - 10°C lower than UnleashX has been reporting and if you've set the fan to Auto temperature control it'll often run slower than 20% (x1) if you have it set up to use 10% (x0.5) minimum speed. 

i live in mississippi, usa but i have the a/c running and i keep it in the 60f's because cool temps are good for my bad sinuses. i'm gonna check it out in xbmc.

• Like 1

I have used this game save hack to change the Pal to NTSC, you can also FTP to a 100% stock Xbox.

It's not a softmod as it's not changing the hard drive to allow it load a non original disk or run unsigned code and when you reboot the xbox is stock except for the video output.

IMG_20191231_082142.thumb.jpg.c02bca93fa80b104043558c278031d2e.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I have used this game save hack to change the Pal to NTSC, you can also FTP to a 100% stock Xbox.

It's not a softmod as it's not changing the hard drive to allow it load a non original disk or run unsigned code and when you reboot the xbox is stock except for the video output.

IMG_20191231_082142.thumb.jpg.c02bca93fa80b104043558c278031d2e.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

did u use the aid5 exploit?

10 hours ago, fox said:

on xbmc

Then it is not stock, its been soft or hard modded or you could not be using XBMC.

You might be still have the retail HDD but otherwise it is not stock.

Also XBMC reports CPU temperatures, as I said earlier, with a v1.6 (I have three all consistent) 5 -10 degrees Centigrade lower than UnleashX. XBMC reports the GPU temperature, which AFAIK, UnleashX is not able to do. Idling on the XBMC dash they're usually fairly similar but, oddly, after some heavy gaming use it is the CPU that often reports as over 10 degrees C higher than the GPU.

XBMC also reports HDD temperatures which in the same ambient temperature conditions is very similar to the idling temperatures of the CPU/GPU. After use it generally reports as somewhere between the two.

I just did a quick test on my Xecuter 2.6CE chipped v1.6 320GB HDD ambient temperature here in the UK 82F/28C:-

After 10 minutes gaming I booted XBMC which is set up auto temp control, target temp: 50C, minimum fan speed: 10% reported CPU: 50C, GPU: 42C, HDD: 48C.

After I'd let it idle on the dash for the last 40 minutes:  CPU: 47C GPU: 36C HDD: 45C

Switching back to UnleashX (my main dash) and letting it settle for 5 minutes with fan speed set to x2 (40%) reports: CPU: 57C M/B: 57C. Which is typical. However the inconsistency is that even after 10 minutes gaming both the temperatures reported are only 1 degree C higher ie. 58C.

I've tested this on UnleashX v572 and v584 with a v1.6 and the results are consistent. This is why I do not trust UnleashX's temperatures on a v1.6 or any other. But if you know what your normal temperatures should be you'll know if there's any change so it is still very useful even if the actual figures are not trust worthy.

• Like 1

The GPU temperature is really the motherboard temp and not the GPU chip

On the 1.0 - 1.4 the sensor is 3/4 of a inch from the MCPX chip and on the 1.6 it's supposedly in the Xcaliber chip near the IDE connector.

Cheers

SS Dave

42 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

please explain what it is?

When you do a tsop you normally start from a softmod. The softmod allows you to use a install disk like hexen to flash the bios to the tsop and then load the files you need to run as a hardmod. Dave has a usb that loads via the game save straight into the XBlast os to do the tsop bios flash. I think there is a YouTube video of it.

found it 

Edited by Ging3rguy

2 hours ago, fox said:

I mean the hardware is stock, Nothing's been done with the heat sinks or paste or fan

Wow a Xbox that has not had the heat transfer paste changed and using a stock fan and it's not overheating.

I really don't see why people insist on fixing something that is not broken by changing the heat sink paste (or thermals as it's called a lot)

If it's not broken then don't fu*k with it .

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fox said:

I mean the hardware is stock, Nothing's been done with the heat sinks or paste or fan.

Understood, you were just talking about core hardware - but same here with all my v1.6s including the one used for the temperature figures quoted. As said, XBMC always reports lower temperatures. Install UnleashX as an app and you'll likely see 50+C temperatures with the fan at x1(20%). If you install EvoX that consistently reports 60+C temperatures with v1.6 Xboxes in the same conditions.

I have tried redoing the thermal paste on a v1.4 and found it made no difference so never bothered doing it with any any other Xbox. All my v1.6s and my other Xboxes are still stock heatsinks and fans too.   

• Like 2