OGXbox.com

Any Tips for Rebuild the Lpc?

bulkchart32

i had ordered a lpc rebuild board and it got here today. turns out the one i ordered is too small to fit a pin header in so i'd have to solder the chip directly to the board for this rebuild board to work. i don't want to order another one so i am strongly considering just using the wire method to rebuild the lpc. problem is that i really dislike the kind of fine soldering that i'd have to do if i use this method. any tips on how to do the wire method the easiest way?

This is one of the recent ones I did purely from memory.

IMG_20200709_120903.thumb.jpg.63f49be0ec1d4a0c7bc2dd86e71c3248.jpg 

I only ever used one of the small rebuilt PCB's that came with the DuoX2 chips I use to fit and the rest of them went in the trash.

For the D0/Lframe I cut the trace like below and don't use the D0 on the mod chip

833287352_1.6XboxLframe.jpg.c84ad20e1427d2a4961f4e5c1b5e73d9.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

...  too small to fit a pin header in so i'd have to solder the chip directly to the board for this rebuild board to work. ...

wait, when the rebuild pcb is too small then why mount/solder the chip directly to the mobo ?

even with a rebuild done using wires you can fit a pinheader. makes it easier to remove the chip for whatever purpose (hotswap-reflash and the like)

14 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

i had ordered a lpc rebuild board and it got here today. turns out the one i ordered is too small to fit a pin header in so i'd have to solder the chip directly to the board for this rebuild board to work. i don't want to order another one so i am strongly considering just using the wire method to rebuild the lpc. problem is that i really dislike the kind of fine soldering that i'd have to do if i use this method. any tips on how to do the wire method the easiest way?

Use 30 awg kynar wire, get some decent fine wire strippers. Fill the pin holes with solder that you need to use, presolder the pads and then just use the iron to touch the wire to the pads and pin holes. Use plenty of flux and set the iron  to around 330 C. YouTube has plenty of videos on the rebuild.