OGXbox.com

Just Got a Og Box and the Dvd Drive Is Knackered.

titchgamer

17 hours ago, titchgamer said:

Here you go mate, Hope they help!

As a side note, When I get a working DVD for this thing, Will I be able to upgrade the HDD like you do with a TSOP'd machine?
i.e. remove old, plug in new with hexen disk in drive and reinstall everything?

Or will it be more complicated than that?

I was intending on modding this one myself to learn but have been a little surprised and scuppered by the DVD being broken in transit and the mod chip being in it.
I dont think the previous owner knew it was there!!

bios (red).bin 1 MB · 2 downloads

You can use chimp to clone you drive using a larger hdd, this will then copy your c and e partition across to the larger hdd.

From a bit of searching seems this ALX2+ modchip is also sometimes called an Xshock modchip.  On a French web site, I've found mention of it as well as having a Rev 4 version available - no pictures though.  And, from an old modchip reseller web site. It mentions that the XShock BIOS is:

Bios Evox M7 LBA48 Partition 6 and 7

having ALX2+ printed under the big X logo in the user programmable blue colored original logo bank and the red colored logo in the write protected  BIOS bank.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041014085122/http://www.magichip.com/product_info.php?products_id=70

There are lots of missing images on the web page. For some reason, the Wayback Machine was not able to capture them.

Now to look for an older version of EVTool that can modify the Evox M7 BIOS.

Lots of info lost on how they modified the older BIOSes.  The oldest EVTool that Xbins FTP server has is v1.0

Missing are 0.8.0.b1 and 0.7.0.b1 (thanks @SS_Dave for it. Do you happen to have the 0.8.0.b1 version?)

On nghtshd's - the dev of XBTool and EVTool - old web site, the History of EVTool shows all the diffs between the versions. 

Older versions up to v1.0.7 are for M8 or M8_16.  No EVTool tool for M7.  Not sure how these were patched other than hex editing.

v1.0.8 and v1.0.9 are for Evox M8+ (1.6 and 1.0-1.5 versions) and metoo BFM versions

(http://web.archive.org/web/20041111034638/http://home.alltel.net/nghtshd/evtool.html)

History:

• Fixed failure to patch in IGR code on newly supported kernels.
  • Removed support for outdated BIOS's (only M8+ and meetoo M8 BFMs supported).

• Support for Evox M8+

• Support for Yoshihiro-M8-1.6B.
  • Support for metoo M8 BFMs.

• Fixed LBA48 version reporting so XBpartition (or anything else) gets the proper number.

• Removed thumbs + triggers IGR.
  • Fixed obscure lba48 bug which doesn't affect users (right now), but has implications with regard to partitioning tools.
  • Don't use M8 files which were pre-patched or previously patched with an older version of EVtool or you'll still have the old IGR and LBA48 code.

• Patches the DDS header of imported DDS files to be identical to the original M8 logo. Some people reported a hang in M8 when they imported a logo (pressing eject will let the machine finish booting). This problem seems to only affect certain machines. Maybe this will fix it.

• EVtool can now load official M8. M8 will be automatically patched for IGR and LBA48. I'm sure I'll be asked for an option to patch M8 without IGR and LBA48 and I'm sure I'll kill the person who asks first. However, if people really want that I may add it later.

• My apologies for the frequent releases, but sometime ideas just hit me and I like to strike while the iron is hot. Feel free to use your current version if it bothers you to get another release so soon.
  • Added Evox logo repacement patch (which I think was cool enough to merit a release).

• Fixed crash if you packed or saved multiple times without restarting EVtool.
  • Added Evox logo removal patch.

• Fixed TM patch.
  • Statically linked XBpatch (XBpatch.dll no longer needed).
  • Removed unused toggles and rearranged dialog.
  • Internal code cleanup.

0.8.0.b1

• Pack/Unpack function cleanup.
  • Other interneal changes.

0.7.0.b1

• Initial beta release.

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Lots of info lost on how they modified the older BIOSes.  The oldest EVTool that Xbins FTP server has is v1.0

Missing are 0.8.0.b1 and 0.7.0.b1 (thanks @SS_Dave for it. Do you happen to have the 0.8.0.b1 version?)

On nghtshd's - the dev of XBTool and EVTool - old web site, the History of EVTool shows all the diffs between the versions. 

Older versions up to v1.0.7 are for M8 or M8_16.  No EVTool tool for M7.  Not sure how these were patched other than hex editing.

v1.0.8 and v1.0.9 are for Evox M8+ (1.6 and 1.0-1.5 versions) and metoo BFM versions

(http://web.archive.org/web/20041111034638/http://home.alltel.net/nghtshd/evtool.html)

Hey KaosEngineer. So it doesn't seem that Evtool will work, but I did manage to get it to populate the fields in XBTool 1.0.23a. Looks as though the boot order is evoxdash.xbe, and then xboxdash.xbe.

Blue.PNG

Nothing.PNG

Red.PNG

• Like 1

I'd not looked at it with XBTool, I keep thinking of it as Xecuter BIOS tool but it's not, It is simply the Xbox BIOS Tool (XBTool).

Supported BIOS Types
Xecuter2 4981 - Xecuter2 4979 - Xecuter2 4978.03 - Xecuter2 4977 - Xecuter2 4976.02
Evox M7 - EvoX D.6
 (plus Eject Fix versions)
(And boot from media versions of the above firmware using a debug config.)

While EVTool is only for Evox M8 and the latest versions 1.0.8 and 1.0.9 for Evox M8plus.

Odd that it shows the Animation flag checked.  The ALX2+ BIOS does not display the flubber for me.  At least booting it the way I was on my X3 modchip.  Manually selecting it from the BIOS menu in X3 Config Live.  I need to set the DIP switches to boot that BIOS and see what happens.  Most likely it does show the flubber animation.

Okay, it does show the flubber animation when I boot the blue ALX2+ BIOS by setting the DIP switches to the bank I flashed it to.  

However, it doesn't complete the boot process.  ALX2+ never gets displayed below the big X logo even after waiting for over a minute.  But, if I select that BIOS bank from the X3CL BIOS Tools menu to boot.  After a few seconds the ALX2+ text appears and evoxdash appears.

The ALX2+ BIOS doesn't have In Game Reset (IGR) :( or does it.

Strange things a happening. IGR doesn't work when running evoxdash but if I start UnleashX from evoxdash then press the IGR button combo it does work. The screen clears and up pops the original booting dashboard of evoxdash. 

Occurs with or without evoxdash's IGR enabled. The ALX2+ BIOS's IGR, I guess it supports IGR, does not work when evoxdash (+3935 version) is running.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Okay, it does show the flubber animation when I boot the blue ALX2+ BIOS by setting the DIP switches to the bank I flashed it to.  

However, it doesn't complete the boot process.  ALX2+ never gets displayed below the big X logo even after waiting for over a minute.  But, if I select that BIOS bank from the X3CL BIOS Tools menu to boot.  After a few seconds the ALX2+ text appears and evoxdash appears.

The ALX2+ BIOS doesn't have In Game Reset (IGR) :( or does it.

Strange things a happening. IGR doesn't work when running evoxdash but if I start UnleashX from evoxdash then press the IGR button combo it does work. The screen clears and up pops the original booting dashboard of evoxdash. 

Occurs with or without evoxdash's IGR enabled. The ALX2+ BIOS's IGR, I guess it supports IGR, does not work when evoxdash (+3935 version) is running.

Something definitely seems strange. Have you tried using IGR from an older version of evoxdash?

I don't recall the devs of the modchip ever stated where their BIOS came from or which other BIOS it was based on.  They just show that it is color modded and has the ALX2+ logo (text) below the big X logo on startup.

All the interest is more my own personal interest to know if they developed their own BIOS or used some other dev team's BIOS.

I've still not verified that is is in fact based on the Evox M7 BIOS, not quite sure how to tell, as I found some info but for the X-Shock modchip (another one I'd never heard of) but it looks very much like the ALX2+ series.

I did get the BIOS unpacked with XBTool as @DobaMuffin mentioned earlier. When he loaded it into XBTool, it displayed the XBE's in the boot order list.

I've still not verified that is is in fact based on the Evox M7 BIOS, not quite sure how to tell, as I found some info but for the X-Shock modchip (another one I'd never heard of) but it looks very much like the ALX2+ series.

I'd say the fact that XBTool auto identifies it as EvolutionX M7 is as good of proof as any. Just above the checksum at the top of the program, right along with the kernel version.

All the interest is more my own personal interest to know if they developed their own BIOS or used some other dev team's BIOS

If I had to take a guess from what I can see, they just used the M7 bios and edited it to look exactly how they wanted it to. Most of it was probably edited using XBTool, and then what they couldn't edit with that, they probably used something like kernelbasher to edit. Though I cannot confirm that last part as my pc is missing a necessary dll to be able to run it. I guess you could always try to recreate it using an unmodified evox m7 bios.

My 2nd xbox finally arrived today from my mate with a working DVD drive! YAYYY!

and so it begins...

made a slight balls up regarding the CF adapter, I forgot both the cable and CF adapter are female.... Opps!!

So had to order some erm male apendage (ooo er misses) to mate the 2.

In the meantime I have just successfully installed Slayers 2.7 on a SD card via another adapter I had lying around :)

So yeah no prizes for guessing my intentions for the rest of the day :)

1ED9E5CC-BCAC-4A1B-8128-217CB727D967.jpeg

Edited by titchgamer