Jump to content
ProggerPete

Should I Be Expecting Issues When Connecting My XBox To My New Tv?

Recommended Posts

I bought a new OLED65B9PTA tv but am having issues connecting the XBOX to it.  I can hear audio but don't see any video.

The tv has a 3.5mm socket labeled 'AV1' and an adapter cable that goes from white/red/yellow TCA sockets to a 3.5mm plug and that's what I've connected to.

When digging for info I found Please login or register to see this link.  which says 'Unlike many of Samsung's sets, this one actually has an analog video input for legacy (non-HDMI) devices, although it no longer supports analog component video.'

I'm not very clued up on exactly what the different outputs are.  Is the xbox output analog component video and that's why I'm not seeing anything?

I double checked plugging into my old TV and the XBox itself definitely still works.

I'll appreciate any tips you might have.

Cheers,
Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are using a lead something like this?

 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Was it supplied  with the TV?

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProggerPete said:

I bought a new OLED65B9PTA tv but am having issues connecting the XBOX to it.  I can hear audio but don't see any video.

The tv has a 3.5mm socket labeled 'AV1' and an adapter cable that goes from white/red/yellow TCA sockets to a 3.5mm plug and that's what I've connected to.

When digging for info I found Please login or register to see this link.  which says 'Unlike many of Samsung's sets, this one actually has an analog video input for legacy (non-HDMI) devices, although it no longer supports analog component video.'

I'm not very clued up on exactly what the different outputs are.  Is the xbox output analog component video and that's why I'm not seeing anything?

I double checked plugging into my old TV and the XBox itself definitely still works.

I'll appreciate any tips you might have.

Cheers,
Pete

 

If your new tv will not except an analogue signal you are going to need an adaptor to convert the signal, checkout this article.

Please login or register to see this link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

So you are using a lead something like this?

 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Was it supplied  with the TV?

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yep, pretty much that.  This picture looks almost exact OEM-LG-Audio-Vide-AV-Cable---Not-A-Gener

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

If your new tv will not except an analogue signal you are going to need an adaptor to convert the signal, checkout this article.

Please login or register to see this link.

Is there a type of video output that uses RCA cables like I've got above that isn't analog?

I struggle with the different terms for these things but the review I found stated the tv doesn't support analog component video.  I think maybe component video means that you've got 3 cables where as analog composite video is when you've got 5.  If so, then maybe I can get things going by following this tutorial?  

Does this sound right to people?  I don't want to destroy 2 cables for something that's never going to work.

Cheers,
Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one on the top of the pic is the one you need to try/use

You need the red(right audio) white (left audio) and the yellow (composite video) so color for color with the lead you have for the TV.

I may have a setting in the TV menu to set composite video.

 

Can you post a pic of the back of the TV?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Component video and composite video are two different things.  

 

Component has 3 RCA connectors for Y, Pb and Pr, high-definition video output: 480p, 720p or 1080i supported by the Xbox.

Composite is standard definition video, 480i, with stereo analog audio which is what your TV says it supports.  It uses Yellow (composite video), Red (right analog audio) and White (left analog audio) inputs to the TV via that adapter cable.  Make sure that the selected Video source is AV1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TV may not support analogue COMPONENT ie. YPbPr/YUC* but it would not have and adapter like that if it did not support AV COMPOSITE which is a less good analogue SD (Standard Definition) connection type.

The adapter is just like any other AV Composite cable except it uses a 3.5mm jack plug for the purpose. The 3.5mm socket it uses on the TV is likely dual purpose audio (stereo) out and/or headphones. They've just add a Composite AV video output to it.

Its a bit unusual but they seem to be doing things like that now with dual purpose Component/Composite RCA /Phono connections. Why they could not have included legacy support for Component too in this case you'd have to ask LG.

The question is why isn't it working - my guess it that the adapter has either been plugged in the wrong socket or the wrong Xbox cable is being used.

If the adapter cable is as shown that 3.5mm yellow jack plug goes in the purpose designed 3.5mm socket, probably at the back of the TV. The Xbox AV Composite cable (Yellow/Red/White) RCA/Phono plugs go into the same colour sockets of the adapter.

If that is how it is already set up then I'd suspect you've just have to find the AV1 channel on your TV. As the socket also supports audio input/output that would explain why you're getting audio but no video. You just need to scroll through the external input sources for the channel (AV1) which should be the Xbox.

According to the  manual on the remote at 6 o'clock just below the circular main control is a button with a jack plug symbol. That appears to be what you use to go through the input sources ie. attached external AV devices like the Xbox.  

*I just done on search and the precise external input type support specification of this particular model is very difficult to find out. Even the manual is a fairly useless general PDF for the whole B9 series. But one thing it does say is that some models DO include Component support.

I could not find any review pictures of the sockets so, as SS_Dave requested, a photo of the connection sockets will be probably be the easiest way of determining what it does and doesn't support.

Edited by HDShadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just a side note, when i hook up an xbox to the downstairs TV (which has one of the above composite to jack adapters) i was getting noticeable lag from the moment i press a button on the controller to the moment the screen does something, only a split second but enough to make the games unplayable,  i was wondering if the modern TV does some kind of software rendering instead of having the built in hardware to deal with composite video maybe?, in the end i made a hdmi adapter from a wii2hdmi (retro pro franks youtube video) and it works well on the downstairs TV now.......when the wife lets me hook up to it anyway :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bolofski said:

just a side note, when i hook up an xbox to the downstairs TV (which has one of the above composite to jack adapters) i was getting noticeable lag from the moment i press a button on the controller to the moment the screen does something, only a split second but enough to make the games unplayable,  i was wondering if the modern TV does some kind of software rendering instead of having the built in hardware to deal with composite video maybe?, in the end i made a hdmi adapter from a wii2hdmi (retro pro franks youtube video) and it works well on the downstairs TV now.......when the wife lets me hook up to it anyway :/

Yes, modern TVs need to do processing on the image (upscaling it to the resolution of the panel) and often have various filters enabled to try and improve the image when doing so.

Often TVs have a "gaming mode" that will disable most of the processing and reduce it (and the resulting lag) to a minimum. Try additionaly disabling any image processing in the TVs menu.

As the upscalers built into TVs are often not very good or particularly suited/intended for game consoles, the best solution would probably be a dedicated hardware scaler like the OSSC or a Framemeister (allthough both are not very cheap, either).

The wii2hdmi mod is a cheap alternative (like, laughably cheap), allthough most of the units available on the market nowadays have a ms9288a chipset which introduces interference (wavy lines across the screen, usually noticable in dark, solid color areas.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it becomes a headache, get one of these and plug it into one of the 4 HDMI ports you have.

I got one and quality looks much better on my TV

Please login or register to see this link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, H3is3nb3rg said:

If it becomes a headache, get one of these and plug it into one of the 4 HDMI ports you have.

I got one and quality looks much better on my TV

Please login or register to see this link.

I had one and it's living in the junk box

I tested it on all versions of Xbox's (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6) and even recapped one of them and it was still SH!T and  I have also seen a post about the GC to HDMI lead from pound and the poster was having the same problems on his GameCube.

I am sure that any one that gives it a 10/10 review has been paid for the review.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I had one and it's living in the junk box

I tested it on all versions of Xbox's (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6) and even recapped one of them and it was still SH!T and  I have also seen a post about the GC to HDMI lead from pound and the poster was having the same problems on his GameCube.

I am sure that any one that gives it a 10/10 review has been paid for the review.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What issues were you and he having? I have yet to see any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, H3is3nb3rg said:

What issues were you and he having? I have yet to see any issues.

I think they are a bit potluck. I was lucky and got one that works great. There are reports on the earlier version working better than the latest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, H3is3nb3rg said:

What issues were you and he having? I have yet to see any issues.

Mostly random flashes horizontally across the top of the screen and some times the entire screen would flash/flicker

At the time the TV was a 6 month old 5 series Samsung I have also had the same on a no name TV and the Pound HDMI was brand new and the Xbox's are set to NTSC 480,720.

The same screens with a internal wii2hdmi and a N64 freak internal HDMI have no problems..

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Le 14/07/2020 à 4:25 AM, Ging3rguy a déclaré:

Si votre nouveau téléviseur ne sera pas sauf un signal analogique, vous allez avoir besoin d’un adaptateur pour convertir le signal, la caisse de cet article.

Please login or register to see this link.

The OSSC is not show like compatible with xobx . There is nothing about it. But I will investigate for the processor modded for better resolution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this time the ossc ( 2 or pro, if they existe) is compatible with a largest panel of tv ? And hight quality compenent is still better than hdmi output event with ossc ou framemeister ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By SandwichLove
      My Xbox is not modded in any way. It has composite cables as well. My Xbox will occasionally boot up games normally but most of the time it boots up every game with only the audio. I saw a post on a forum a while ago about how to easily fix this, but I can no longer seem to find it.
    • By iDesTroY
      Hey there, I have a chipped 1.6 and I'm using it on my LG 4K TV via component cable, I'm experiencing image drop out (see the video below). I've tried 3 different sets of cables, I've changed the Xbox to NTSC to enable HD video mode. Is there anything you people can recommend for me to try? I'm willing to try anything just so I can get this issue resolved. Thanks!

      Video link: 
        
    • By wireddd
      So I have a 1.0 with a dead HDD, I used PiPROM to recover the eeprom.bin so I can build a new drive. Is there a tutorial somewhere on adding a softmod directly to the new drive before I lock it?

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.