OGXbox.com

Any Reason To Keep Original Hdd After Swap?

imacomputa

5 hours ago, imacomputa said:

I swapped in a 1TB HDD replacing my original 10GB drive.

Is there any reason to hold on to the old hard drive at this point or can I safely recycle it?

Send it of to scrap.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

20 minutes ago, imacomputa said:

Like what though? I got the eeprom. 
Any info would be appreciated!

for one, future trouble shooting. if the xbox starts acting up or giving u an error message then a trouble shooting step may be to connect the hdd back to it and see if it starts acting right especially if u think the hdd that is inside may have died. u can test the xbox with the old drive before u order a new one to be certain that is your problem.  it's just always good to hold on to stuff like this.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2020 at 11:55 AM, bulkchart32 said:

for one, future trouble shooting. if the xbox starts acting up or giving u an error message then a trouble shooting step may be to connect the hdd back to it and see if it starts acting right especially if u think the hdd that is inside may have died. u can test the xbox with the old drive before u order a new one to be certain that is your problem.  it's just always good to hold on to stuff like this.

It’s how I was able to rescue an Xbox that I softmodded in 2009. The larger hard drive already failed and well, I lost my eeprom backup as I didn’t my original computer anymore. I was able to rescue some old saves as well. 

But since then, I’ve been doing hard mods to avoid that carfuffle again. Then I can just drop in a new hard drive regardless. Plus, there are ways to always rescue the EEPROM if needed. So id say recycle it or wipe it completely and build a legacy windows 95/98 machine!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danish_Elite said:

It’s how I was able to rescue an Xbox that I softmodded in 2009. The larger hard drive already failed and well, I lost my eeprom backup as I didn’t my original computer anymore. I was able to rescue some old saves as well. 

But since then, I’ve been doing hard mods to avoid that carfuffle again. Then I can just drop in a new hard drive regardless. Plus, there are ways to always rescue the EEPROM if needed. So id say recycle it or wipe it completely and build a legacy windows 95/98 machine!

how do u put windows on the xbox?

I have a stock hard drive with a softmod and the raincoat bios flash app for when a Xbox rocks up with a dead HDD I temporary fit a modchip lock the HDD and then flash the TSOP it then unlock the HDD for the next one, I my view it's easier that reading the EEprom and stuffing around the a PC to lock the HDD to just to flash the TSOP.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

39 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

There is also win98 for Xbox and it supports USB keyboard and mouse

Win98-for-Xbox.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

But not native. You have to install Xdsl (XBox Damn Small Linux) and set up a VM.

And here's a download (~350MB) XDSL incl. Win98 : https://1fichier.com/?gq2culsxvd5lh1lc1ifi

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

You can disassembly the hdd and build a nice nerdy mirror out of it. But you would need more than just one drive. Or you could make a hdd with a window and 1 or 2 LED's in it (just for fun ofc).

But at the end the drive not have any use because of it's size.

One, more or less, useful thing i have made from an old xbox hard disk is a test disc with all tools, bios files, dashboards ect. and 2 games for testing purposes. It might come handy one day.

I've said this before here and on other Xbox forums that the original HDD, particularly if softmodded, is your ultimate safety net. 

Just put the basics on it and make sure its locked, null the eeprom if that is your standard practice too. Then put it into storage. You may never use it but there are a stream of people here who post about how to solve problems which would not be problems if they had such a backup.

Best use for the retail HDD IMHO.  

Edited by HDShadow

to be honest, I'd keep it and put it in the box for the xbox stuff. It can be usefull to troubleshoot issues if your modded xbox ever runs into issues - I have a spare original drive set up with a softmod and nulled eeprom (i have the eeprom of my xboxes nulled) so if any of my xbox ever has issues, I can just go ahead and swap the drive in and troubleshoot HDD issues.

• Like 2