OGXbox.com

Return To Original XBox

Lupus

Hi there !

Years ago, I had a Xbox with a modchip without soldering (I can't remember the name ^^) and a bigger hard drive with Evox I think. But I sold this beauty ...

After more than 10 years, I recently bought an old original Xbox :), I remove the clock capacitor, clean the motherboard and so on.

I've read a lot about softmod, tsop flashing and mochips but finally I 've bought an Open Xenium modchip and installed it yesterday (and it's working !).

The next steps 'll be to change the hard drive for a ssd (silence !) with a startech adapter.

BUT before that I need to understand exactly what I've to do to use the Open Xenium modchip. I would say it's not perfectly clear for me :D

I'm going to create a post with my numerous questions ;)

Well done on getting the Open Xenium up and running.

As for the hard drive I use the WD black, WD Enterprise, Seagate Barracuda 2tb all 7200 rpm hard drives, I have found that the cooling fan makes more noise than the hard drive.

Sure you can use a SSD and I did test a Samsung 1tb in a Xbox but the speed was no quicker than a WD Black, that SSD is now in a Xbox One where I did see a difference.

As for asking all the questions ask away.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Did you solder it to the bottom of the board?

I normally just ground the D0 on 1.0 - 1.4 Xbox's as there is no need fo the stock BIOS.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What size Hard Drive are you thinking of using?

If it's a Sata drive I would suggest the Startech Sat2Ide adaptor and a good quality 80 way IDE cable.

Cheers

SS Dave

Well, my soldering was bad, when I 've tried to launch the Ind bios there was just a black screen and the xecuter 2 bios wasn't working very well.

I 've taken a look to my D0 wire and there wasn't enough solder, so the wire didn't stay :(

Have you a bigger image of the D0 to ground ?

1 hour ago, Lupus said:

Well, my soldering was bad, when I 've tried to launch the Ind bios there was just a black screen and the xecuter 2 bios wasn't working very well.

I 've taken a look to my D0 wire and there wasn't enough solder, so the wire didn't stay :(

Have you a bigger image of the D0 to ground ?

When you’re solder the wire to ground, you need to roughen up the surface for solder to bite to. Or just attach it to the chip D0 point.

27 minutes ago, imacomputa said:

What benefit does installing a modchip give you?

You can add an lcd with some modchips, you can load different bios and edit the start up and not have to have a dvd drive attached, useful if you want to build a slim Xbox. If you have a tsop and mess up the bios it could be terminal apart from adding a chip. 
Main reason easier to swap and fix a hdd.