OGXbox.com

Is There a Way To Calibration the Dvd Drive?

FerociousOG

1 hour ago, FerociousOG said:

Noticed that my DVD drive is having a had hard time reading discs. I did clean the laser with 91% alcohol. Is there any way to calibrate the lasers power?

Yes, you can adjust the pot resistor by the laser, the only problem is it will shorten the life of the laser even quicker. What brand do you have?
If you search dvd pot tweak and your dvd brand on YouTube it will show you what to do.

1 hour ago, FerociousOG said:

Noticed that my DVD drive is having a had hard time reading discs. I did clean the laser with 91% alcohol. Is there any way to calibrate the lasers power?

Any adjustment you make to the DVD laser is just a short term fix and in some cases you will make it worse

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, corona2222 said:

is it possible to swap just the lazer diode out with one from another DVD player or PC drive? (lazer component, not the whole head assembly)

As long as they both have the same part number even then some laser assemblies have the same part number but have different connectors 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

I may as well tag a Q on the end here 😛

i have aquired another broken xbox FOC (They breed so fast! I have gone from 0 to 4 in 2 months!)

it was a easy fix to get it running again but it has a non functional Thomson DVD drive in it.

I might try the pot adjustment just to try and get a little life in it to read a mod disc but if not I was wondering does anyone know somewhere in the UK I could buy a laser assembly or 2?

Edited by titchgamer

On 9/11/2020 at 7:35 AM, titchgamer said:

i have aquired another broken xbox FOC (They breed so fast! I have gone from 0 to 4 in 2 months!)

it was a easy fix to get it running again but it has a non functional Thomson DVD drive in it.

I might try the pot adjustment just to try and get a little life in it to read a mod disc but if not I was wondering does anyone know somewhere in the UK I could buy a laser assembly or 2?

Finding a replacement laser for a thomson is a bit like finding rocking horse shit. I have seen a few but they cost more than a Xbox.

The lasers by now, especially Thompsons are getting old and dead. A POT tweak might get a little more life out of it, but from my view, it should be done with the intent to softmod, as then you can load from the HDD and no longer have to deal with the dying laser. I've had my share of woes with a dying Thompson.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:35 AM, titchgamer said:

Unless someone corrects me, if you search for "TOP-60 Optical Laser Lens Replacement" a few options will pop up on ebay and even Alliexpress. Those should fit and replace the Thomson TGM600 laser lens assembly and those are not badly priced. Around $15 dollars US. I bought one to try as my Thomson's laser is on its last leg. Haven't installed it yet.

If one was looking to adjust the pot anyway, here is one helpful guide. Link I had a guide forever and day ago that went into detail about readings you should be getting for the Philips and Samsung drives which was a wayyyy lower number compared to the Thomsons, but that information is out there. If I find it, I'll post it here as well.

Edited by Danish_Elite

11 hours ago, Danish_Elite said:

Unless someone corrects me, if you search for "TOP-60 Optical Laser Lens Replacement" a few options will pop up on ebay and even Alliexpress. Those should fit and replace the Thomson TGM600 laser lens assembly and those are not badly priced. Around $15 dollars US. I bought one to try as my Thomson's laser is on its last leg. Haven't installed it yet.

If one was looking to adjust the pot anyway, here is one helpful guide. Link I had a guide forever and day ago that went into detail about readings you should be getting for the Philips and Samsung drives which was a wayyyy lower number compared to the Thomsons, but that information is out there. If I find it, I'll post it here as well.

I bought a replacement from eBay, it stated it was new, it wasn’t and it didn’t work, luckily I got my money back.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, Danish_Elite said:

Unless someone corrects me, if you search for "TOP-60 Optical Laser Lens Replacement" a few options will pop up on ebay and even Alliexpress.

I did and the 3 sites is saw  that claim the laser is NEW have a pic with rust in the metal shielding on the laser pickup.

856957879_s-l500(1).jpg.933b06f980d749ee0d823f123de95027.jpg

New my a$$.

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I did and the 3 sites is saw  that claim the laser is NEW have a pic with rust in the metal shielding on the laser pickup.

856957879_s-l500(1).jpg.933b06f980d749ee0d823f123de95027.jpg

New my a$$.

Cheers

SS Dave

It may be new but has been sitting for over a decade in a poor storage environment that caused damage to the pickup assembly.

Well I went down a slightly different path in the end.

You may recall I have another xbox with a knackered laser which is a philips drive.

Anyway when I was looking for thompson lasers I stumbled across a brand new laser for the philips.

its from a company called zedlabs which I have brought loads of stuff from in the past so I ordered one.

Its not arrived yet but I will update if I get it going.

Zedlabs do a pretty reasonable 3rd party controller for the xbox to if anyone needs some, They also do drive belts etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, titchgamer said:

Anyway when I was looking for thompson lasers I stumbled across a brand new laser for the philips.

its from a company called zedlabs which I have brought loads of stuff from in the past so I ordered one.

Zedlabz or Zedlabs?  I don't find the Philips laser on the first's web site.

Edit: I see. They don't have all the items available on the US site that are listed on the UK site.

here's a fyi about the replacement lasers. i have tried both phillips models from zedlabs and neither worked. they did appear to be new(yes, i removed the ground solder points). there is a guy that sells replacement thompson laser deck assembley on ebay. i have bought several of these and found them to be very hit and miss. i'd say about 70% work. if u get a replacement and it does not work, don't give that ebay seller a chance to make it right, just go ahead and get a refund and order another one or u may go past the time u have for returns and that seller will never get back to u. https://www.ebay.com/itm/XBox-1st-Gen-Repair-Laser-Deck-Assembly-Motors-Rails-Thomson-TGM600-DVD-Drive/322000065968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 i have not found good replacement for samsung or hitachi drives.

• Like 1

Well the laser arrived yesterday, It is indeed brand new.

No idea if it will work but I will attempt a repair this weekend.

the Laser replacement itself is a easy task for me, Soldering the 2 shorting blobs off is more of a challenge so that is where I will need the most luck!

My soldering skills are poor to say the least....

2 hours ago, titchgamer said:

Well the laser arrived yesterday, It is indeed brand new.

No idea if it will work but I will attempt a repair this weekend.

the Laser replacement itself is a easy task for me, Soldering the 2 shorting blobs off is more of a challenge so that is where I will need the most luck!

My soldering skills are poor to say the least....

it's best to take a really hot iron and rake it across those solder points a few times to remove them. let me know hot it works out. which model and brand did u get?