OGXbox.com

Black Screen Softmod (Tried Everything)

garithh

I am using the 007 softmod technique and keep getting the black screen, I have looked up all the different solutions. It goes black as soon as i choose the load mission, the light on the front of the xbox stays green. i am using a generic old usb stick (i have used 4 different sticks and all give the same result) 2 different xboxes, i have power cycled after copying the exploit to the hard drive but still same result. i have used 3 different component cables and set screen to normal in settings. there has to be something im missing.

1 hour ago, garithh said:

I am using the 007 softmod technique and keep getting the black screen, I have looked up all the different solutions. It goes black as soon as i choose the load mission, the light on the front of the xbox stays green. i am using a generic old usb stick (i have used 4 different sticks and all give the same result) 2 different xboxes, i have power cycled after copying the exploit to the hard drive but still same result. i have used 3 different component cables and set screen to normal in settings. there has to be something im missing.

Which version of agent under fire are you using as not all work? Your better off with splinter cell as all versions work.

12 hours ago, garithh said:

You will need to use a composite cable( Yellow Video) as the software (Linux) for the mod file is not component(Red,Green,Blue) compatible the same for Chimp will not display with component.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Not true as regards Chimp 261812 - you do get all sorts of weird problems with it on some set ups but not others so it is undoubtedly best advice to use an AV Composite cable (yellow, white, red RCA/Phono plugs). 

But the fact is I use Chimp on a Xecuter 2.6CE v1.6 Evox M8+ BIOS with a Component cable, an official memory and a USB flash drive attached without any problems on one TV.  

• 6 months later...

Use a AV cable, cheap enough to buy or find someone to borrow one off.

Make sure you copy the game save and the softmod file from usb to Xbox.

I use the 007 method to softmod my Xboxes and it works fine just a few more steps then other methods.

Select mission, select first mission, wait till it loads. quit mission, go to load mission and select Xbox hard disk...follow softmod prompts.

Tutorial here with info for 007 softmod.

All,

I am in a similar boat as the op but I own all but MechAssault in the correct versions. I’ve tried SC and 007. About to try TH4. I’ve put it in every mode of video.  I only own composite cables. If TH4 doesn’t work, I’m gonna go back and recopy all the files from Rocky5 and start over but if I’m missing something or whatever, please clue a noob in.

And before Dave tells me to hardmod, already did that on another console with xenium—I wanna do a soft mod on this console.

SC I start mission get to checkpoints, screen goes black when I hit A and the ring stays green. With 007, same thing after I load from hard disk except the ring turns red. 

help? 

2 hours ago, Silencelistens said:

And before Dave tells me to hardmod,

It sounds like it may already be TSOP flashed

Have you had a look inside to see if the write enable links are on the board?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Nah it’s an intact console, never been cracked before I got it and repaired the optical drive by simply replacing the band—unless somebody a lot more diligent than me replaced the seals, lol.  Now I didn’t really look at the board except to clean it and pull out the clock capacitor but I think I would have noticed.  I’m really up a creek—I’ve even toyed with chipping it but now I wanna figure it out. 

54 minutes ago, Silencelistens said:

Oh I forgot to add, if it matters, it’s a 1.1–If that’s the issue I have another in the closet that’s a 1.6 I could try that one, buts the optical drive is toast.  

I am having a think about the 1.1 and the black screen as it should work,you are using the correct zone game save files and for TH4 try all versions of the save Pal, NTSC, Region free.

The DVD drives can be swapped between all versions as they are not locked.

1 hour ago, Silencelistens said:

Nah it’s an intact console, never been cracked before I got it and repaired the optical drive by simply replacing the band—unless somebody a lot more diligent than me replaced the seal

I have opened them without any obvious damage to the 2 stickers, So it can be done and on the ones I do that to I leave out the 2 middle screws to save having to be careful with the stickers next time.

Cheers

SS Dave

I'd check also that there are no other previous SC, 007 or TH4 game saves on the Xbox in question. In short: wipe all the existing relevant game exploit/installer saves. Shutdown and restart then copy in a new game save set for one exploitable game only. Shutdown and restart after that too.

This sort of problem seems to be  most connected with using SC previously so I'd suggest starting with 007 AUF making sure of course that that the disc is the correct version. If that doesn't work then wipe those game 007 AUF saves and try with TH4 or MechAssault instead.

007 Agent Under Fire:-

Any version of the original release (PAL/NTSC) works.

Platinum Hits (NTSC) version must be 1448517 (found in the printing on the front of the disc itself).

If there is an equivalent PAL version of the Platinum Hits/Classic version no infomation is provided about that but I'd assume if it has that same ID it would also work.

Mechassault:-

For MechAssault you have to look at the number etched on the silvered side of the disc, adjacent to the spindle. If it says MS02301L then it will work, if it says MS02308L (or indeed any other number) then it won't.

Tony Hawks 4:-

Unknown if version ID matters but Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tools include installer files for PAL, NTSC and Region Free versions so, like SC, you must use the appropriate region disc, Xbox region setting and the specific exploit/installer for that region.

Edited by HDShadow

13 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Mechassault:-

For MechAssault you have to look at the number etched on the silvered side of the disc, adjacent to the spindle. If it says MS02301L then it will work, if it says MS02308L (or indeed any other number) then it won't.

I have found if the Mechassault Disk has Xbox Live on it will not work.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional info. I've not read that before; I'll add it to my softmod info data base for future reference.

I have the MechAssault PAL MS02301L one. I asked the seller (Ebay) to check the number before I bought it and helpfully he obliged. I've just checked that and both the case and the disc show Xbox Live enabled.

I've not used my copy of MechAssault for a full softmod yet but I've tested it and it certainly launches the installer dash without issue. It was the first thing  tested when I received it.

So maybe that Xbox Live issue is an NTSC version thing.

Its on my to do list to get a copy of TH4 as well sometime.

Edited by HDShadow

With the non live enabled version the ID is MS02301L

With the LIve enabled version the ID is MS02308L and when you try and run Linux a message pops up saying

Unable to load <Run Linux> press A to continue.

20 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Who tested this?

Me

20 hours ago, HDShadow said:

What softmod installer was used?

The Mechassault version 

758675597_TSOPflash.thumb.jpg.116f4f9391b86de56bbe162e33547241.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Interesting, I have looked and my PAL disc clearly has a the "Live" logo but (I've just rechecked) it does also have the MS02301L ID.

I think you may have made a typo in last post: MS02310L? But if that is the correct disc ID you have it might be that there are at least three MechAssault disc ID versions.  

Anyway its something for me to test when I have a spare HDD to softmod. I'll be disappointed if you're right but even at this stage I'm pretty sure my MechAssault disc loads the (SID) installer dash. There's some mismatch in the information that is certain.

What I meant about the softmod was what flavour you used ie. HeXEn :), Rocky5's XBSMT or SID? I do not know why it might make a difference as they're all using the same game exploit but I thought it might be relevant.

5 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I think you may have made a typo in last post: MS02310L? But if that is the correct disc ID you have it might be that there are at least three MechAssault disc ID versions.  

It was a typo it should have been MS02301L I am blaming the lack of coffee

The hack fies I am using is a bit of the  Rocky5 softmod and the original 007AUF flash files to load direct to a evolution-x screen with Xblast and Raincoat programs.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1