OGXbox.com

Help? X2.6 With E:Drive Issues

sh0rtlife

so im working with an old 2.6 modded OG xbox, this one has some very good history and means alot to me, and was given to me by the owner of "gamer transit authority", initially we thought this wasnt the "gamer bus unit" but after cracking it open and checking some things ..IT IS!!!

anyway im trying to breath life back into the unit it has some startup issues that ive seemingly mostly resolved, im trying to clone and backup the drive so i can toss a 2tb unit in and be done for life with it

so heres the issue..im getting "bad block sector on hda(master) from logical block 316 though 338 on drive E:

everything else clones over just fine, and i get a error 13 on bootup
yes im on the 80 wire
yes ive tryed multiple drives both IDE and sata
yes ive googled for weeks

my best guess is that due to the logical block issues pointing at a corruption of the original drive that i need to "replace" some of E:drives contents, what im looking for is any information on how to do that WITHOUT wiping out the history thats in this box, id like to just "patch" what i can....im just not sure of the best way to do it....im leaning tward FTP cloning out E drive if thats even possible since the new drive wont boot...

looking for any help possible, even if it means building the new drive from scratch...tho i consider that a "last resort"

What part of the history are you trying to keep.

If it's game saves you could use a memory card or some small USB thumb drives can also work to transfer the saves.

You could FTP the contents of the E drive or I would suggest you look in to FATXplorer as it can read and write to a unlocked Xbox hard drive connected to a PC 

Also if you clone the old drive to a 1tb the partition structure may not be correct.

What BIOS is on the 2.6 chip as it probably will not support a drive above 137 gigabyte.

Service Error 13:
Info: Dashboard launch failed (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed or possible unlocked hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

honestly it was setup by the original owner, and id like to maintain the entire setup as it stands if possible...if for no other reason than nostalgia sake, burnout revenge running on the gamer bus while blasting down the interstate brought the game to a whole nother level

but with what your saying it sounds like ill be forced to start over, got any pointers? or links.....its been a very...VERY long time since either of us have touched this stuff

i have tryed drives all the way down to 120g all result in the same problem both in clone and boot

Edited by sh0rtlife

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 8:00 PM, sh0rtlife said:

so heres the issue..im getting "bad block sector on hda(master) from logical block 316 though 338 on drive E:

Does the error message specifically state on drive E: or simply logical block 316 through 338 cause an error?

Even using Chimp may not copy all of the data across to the new drive.  I'm not sure if the first 512 sectors on the hard drive, the so called config area, are copied or if it simply dumps a clean set of contents to them.

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Does the error message specifically state on drive E: or simply logical block 316 through 338 cause an error?

Even using Chimp may not copy all of the data across to the new drive.  I'm not sure if the first 512 sectors on the hard drive, the so called config area, are copied or if it simply dumps a clean set of contents to them.

90% positive it states drive E but re-checking now

4 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Here’s an old thread about using hdd raw to clone your drive.

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3997

ill try the raw clone, but im going to have to put an old pc back together as it seems all 3 of my IDE usbs are all acting up...i knew 1 of them was tempermental but i guess the other 2 are as well..thankfully i can just toss it together on the work bench....just gotta figure out where the mobo's HD went

at the moment im running chimp again to see the errors again, YAY long babysitting time to be able to spot em..i wish it logged it so i could just view a log when its done

the stock drive IS failing to some extent..or...atleast i think it is as it wont always power on and goes into an error screen.....ill make note of it once chimps done, but after a few power cycles it does boot up pretty sure its an XBMC error ...red text is all im remembering at the moment even tho i just cycled it 6 times to get it to boot

i have FTP'ed into the xbox and copied everything i could see...but how much cant i see?...and saved every drive as its own folder.....so if nothing else ive got some backups

what i can be sure of looking at the ftp backups is its running xecuter2 Built on Nov 17 2007 and xbmc Built on Nov 12 2006

outside of that i can dig thru the ftp's for any ifo that may be useful to you guys

initialy i thought i might have had a adapter or new drive issue, or some compatability issue, however i went and dug up some error free ide's aas well as scoured the net for compatibility charts after trying to chimp over on 8+ drives and spitting out the same errors every time both during chimp and after, ive ruled down to being chimp, the xbox itself or the original drive

Edited by sh0rtlife

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

What Xbox version?

What Chimp version are you using?

I do not think you've said: ideally you should be using Chimp 261812 but Chimp 2618 should be OK. If the Xbox is a v1.6 as it might be if those other dates are anything to go by, it must be one of those two.

261812 of chimp is what im running as far as the version of the box...assuming its still the stock board inside...... or the stock case however you want to see it

date: 2001 11 14
serial: 5087107 14502
product: 451 5087107 14502

any way to further verify off the board?..since its open

thompson dvd drive, daughter board for controlers, fan on gpu, 12 pin power, by all rights it looks like its a 1.0.....of course a few friends did work at intel back then and managed to bring home all maner of test mules n prototypes so god knows

ok, so when you run chimp you get 2 cloning options, the default "fast" option spits out slightly different error codes than the "slow" full clone

EDIT "fast clone spit no errors this time but on boot give 13..so something went wrong"

i only got 3 lines of error this last pass thru on the "fast" clone

"cloning status: cloning E partition."

"buffer I/0 error on device Ida50, logical block 326"

this ran for 327 and 328 as well  but didnt spit more out..so its...improving? lol...now running a long slow clone again camera in hand to catch it

EDIT stock drive error that i randomly get on boot is

"xbmc fatal error:

P:\keymap.xml, line 0

failed to open file

and then it gives  the ip adress and login info

Edited by sh0rtlife
new info

The date alone indicates its a v1.0 so unless the MB was swapped out and the case modded too its certainly not a v1.6. From the rest of your description - definitely a v1.0 so the Chimp version is obviously not the problem.

My thought is that since its not a Chimp problem it points to a developing hardware fault with the original HDD you are trying to clone. A bad sector would explain why some stuff clones and then it fails.

You've described what sounds like serious problems with the HDD.

Its a chipped machine so, bearing in mind what SS_Dave said earlier about the BIOS possibly not supporting larger than 137GiB HDDs, why not put in a temporary <137GB HDD (one of those 120GB ones you mentioned you tried to clone too earlier)?

It just seems to me more sense than faffing around trying to work out why you can't clone some of the E:\drive content which is likely unimportant, replaceable and possibly irrecoverable anyway.

Use an installer disc like HeXEn, AID or, I suppose, Slayers (DVD-R/ImgBurn) to format it and install a dashboard then FTP the content from the old HDD you've backed up already to the new one.

First it would be sensible to try to find out what BIOS you are using. If there are any configuration files on C:\ or E:\, an EvoX icon on boot, non-standard boot sequence and even try the BIOSChecker app. I know others here have strong views on using that but if it is an ancient BIOS it might identify it. XBMC's info (i) in the Shutdown menu may have useful and relevant hardware and BIOS info too.       

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The date alone indicates its a v1.0 so unless the MB was swapped out and the case modded too its certainly not a v1.6. From the rest of your description - definitely a v1.0 so the Chimp version is obviously not the problem.

My thought is that since its not a Chimp problem it points to a developing hardware fault with the original HDD you are trying to clone. A bad sector would explain why some stuff clones and then it fails.

You've described what sounds like serious problems with the HDD.

Its a chipped machine so, bearing in mind what SS_Dave said earlier about the BIOS possibly not supporting larger than 137GiB HDDs, why not put in a temporary <137GB HDD (one of those 120GB ones you mentioned you tried to clone too earlier)?

It just seems to me more sense than faffing around trying to work out why you can't clone some of the E:\drive content which is likely unimportant, replaceable and possibly irrecoverable anyway.

Use an installer disc like HeXEn, AID or, I suppose, Slayers (DVD-R/ImgBurn) to format it and install a dashboard then FTP the content from the old HDD you've backed up already to the new one.

First it would be sensible to try to find out what BIOS you are using. If there are any configuration files on C:\ or E:\, an EvoX icon on boot, non-standard boot sequence and even try the BIOSChecker app. I know others here have strong views on using that but if it is an ancient BIOS it might identify it. XBMC's info (i) in the Shutdown menu may have useful and relevant hardware and BIOS info too.       

at this point i think ive exhausted all options on any for of cloning...correct?

ill see if i can find a bnios checker app and drop it in and report back

so lets go about re-building it fresh...question here is, where on earth do i find the old software and installs? since even links on this site goto  404 pages

and the next big question....if i rebuild it will i be able to run a BIG drive?

im actualy starting to wonder if i should just shelf this ole girl as a memory and build a new box off one in the stack.....but nostalgia keeps me pushing forward to make her viable

honestly outside of some initial boot fails before actualy booting after that she runs liker a champ all the retro games and emulators still function, i cant find any "faults" outside of being a pointlessly small drive for what i want to do....and the obviously unstable bootings

as for congfig files, are you talking about these? the xbmc is off c; and the other is from E: ...i can also pull data from q: as well

on boot i get the xecuter config loading txt, xbmc logo, then xecutor rox my box logo

xbmc.log x2config.ini

Edited by sh0rtlife

19 minutes ago, sh0rtlife said:

at this point i think ive exhausted all options on any for of cloning...correct?

ill see if i can find a bnios checker app and drop it in and report back

so lets go about re-building it fresh...question here is, where on earth do i find the old software and installs? since even links on this site goto  404 pages

and the next big question....if i rebuild it will i be able to run a BIG drive?

im actualy starting to wonder if i should just shelf this ole girl as a memory and build a new box off one in the stack.....but nostalgia keeps me pushing forward to make her viable

honestly outside of some initial boot fails before actualy booting after that she runs liker a champ all the retro games and emulators still function, i cant find any "faults" outside of being a pointlessly small drive for what i want to do....and the obviously unstable bootings

as for congfig files, are you talking about these? the xbmc is off c; and the other is from E: ...i can also pull data from q: as well

on boot i get the xecuter config loading txt, xbmc logo, then xecutor rox my box logo

xbmc.log 4.58 kB · 0 downloads x2config.ini 2.4 kB · 0 downloads

Is this X2config.ini from from the Xbox you are trying to clone ?

And what data are you trying to keep

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Is this X2config.ini from from the Xbox you are trying to clone ?

And what data are you trying to keep

Cheers

SS Dave

yeah those are off the drive as it sits

what am i trying to keep..well....i dont want it to "change" other than adding to its abilitys, ..io want to retain the directorys, the ui  and the general layout of how it is, i want it to feel and look exactly like it does right now the same way it did when it was "in service" the only changes id like to make is a deeper database of playables a bigger drive thats not got issues

at this point ive no issues starting over, and if theres a bios issue that wont allow for a larger drive then...well.....ill shelf it and build a new rig

ive attempted to get a bios app and keep running into virus/malware junk sooooo ill keep looking

if you are getting xecuter rox my box it more than likely has a X2-5035 bios

You may need to upgrade the BIOS to X2-5035.67 as the supports F and G drives and it has no problems with 2tb hard drives, I reflash the BIOS to this anyway would anyway.

I would use Slayers 2.7 disk to install from scratch on you new hard drive and the set XBMC as the default dash if that's the dash you are using.

I would also use Xbpartitioner 1.3 to format F and G drives correctly as the install disk may not do that properly.

11 minutes ago, sh0rtlife said:

ive attempted to get a bios app and keep running into virus/malware junk sooooo ill keep looking

What BIOS app?

Cheers

SS Dave

16 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

if you are getting xecuter rox my box it more than likely has a X2-5035 bios

You may need to upgrade the BIOS to X2-5035.67 as the supports F and G drives and it has no problems with 2tb hard drives, I reflash the BIOS to this anyway would anyway.

I would use Slayers 2.7 disk to install from scratch on you new hard drive and the set XBMC as the default dash if that's the dash you are using.

I would also use Xbpartitioner 1.3 to format F and G drives correctly as the install disk may not do that properly.

What BIOS app?

Cheers

SS Dave

i managed to find bios checker v5 via anotther site i had to sign up on and post on to see the password un rar it...ran it and i get a big  list of "unknown"....LOL..lots of numbers n such but all listed as unkown

any good ifo i should grab that would be helpful?

Look in the dashboard for the Kernel version knowing that value can help ID the BIOS version.

If it has an Evox shield on the startup flubber animation it's an Evolution-X BIOS version.

If it has XECUTER2 under the big X logo at the end of the animation a Team Xecuter BIOS.

or Xecuter Rox My Box - X2 5035 or X3 BIOS (X3 BIOS only for X3 modchip)

23 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Look in the dashboard for the Kernel version knowing that value can help ID the BIOS version.

If it has an Evox shield on the startup flubber animation it's an Evolution-X BIOS version.

If it has XECUTER2 under the big X logo at the end of the animation a Team Xecuter BIOS.

or Xecuter Rox My Box - X2 5035 or X3 BIOS (X3 BIOS only for X3 modchip)

and where would i begin to look for that?.....c is basicly empty, e: has a good bit, f is empty g is empty Q has a whole mess of stuff in it

i do get the flubber screen and recall coming across a spot to "edit" it....but ive no clue where that went, the xbmc oval shield pops up as well as the x roks my box

and i can clearly see the mod chip as a x2.6

Edited by sh0rtlife

As said earlier if you're using XBMC then either go to XBMC > Setting > System Info or simply click R3 (down on the right stick) to bring up the Shutdown menu. Select the System Info option there and you'll be taken to the System Info menu where all that sort of stuff is most easily found.

3 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

As said earlier if you're using XBMC then either go to XBMC > Setting > System Info or simply click R3 (down on the right stick) to bring up the Shutdown menu. Select the System Info option there and you'll be taken to the System Info menu where all that sort of stuff is most easily found.

somehow i missed that post entirely....sorry

kernel version 1.0.5035.1

xbmc build 2.0.1 compiled nov 12 2006

mplayer dev-cvs-060924-2-:59 sep 24 2006

dvd firmware 1.24

hdd firmware 24.84g24

storage
c 499/499

d no disc

e177/4881

x749/749

x748/749

HARDWARE

xbox v1.0

serial  508710714502

mopdchip unknown or onbopard(protected)

detected bios unknown please add md5

Stop wasting your time with a stock hard drive copy the UDATA folder from E drive (that's your game saves) and fit the new hard drive and use a install disk to start from scratch.

Cheers

SS Dave

That is an ancient XBMC and if you really want to keep it then you'll have to back up the whole folder because I doubt anyone has that particular version now. Do not be tempted to use any new skin with it as many are now incompatible with older versions and visa-versa.

Apart from that not a lot of help. As expected the BIOS info is not available, usually because it a customised version which will have a completely different MD5 hash from the parent BIOS.

Do not know whether Kaos or SS will glean anything more from it but one thing is interesting is that the HDD is locked which is unusual for a chipped machine, but not unknown.

EDIT

Whatever it is, that he want to preserve and the GUI to look like is likely down to the skin XBMC is using. The rest of the stuff ie. apps, emulators and whatever will be just the same so if its backed up you can just FTP that to the new HDD.

Check what skin XBMC is using too. That's found under the Appearance menu. If you can copy the whole of the XBMC folder out there's no reason, once you checked it works on the new HDD, you can't sub that in later.

If it were me I'd do just as SS_Dave suggested, set up a new HDD first. Then I'd install the old dash as an app and use the most recent XBMC version v3.5.3 as the main dash. Its possible the skin you're attached too has a more modern equivalent. But once the new HDD is set up you can do what you want and if that's to install an old version of XBMC as a main dash so be it.

Just take some screenshots of the things you want to preserve and if you can't do it yourself ask here how to reinstall it or get it to look like it was on the old HDD.

Screenshot option in XBMC is simply L3 (Left Stick click)*. They're copied as annoyingly large .BMP to your Screenshots folder but you will have to create that first. In XBMC Settings go to System > Debugging to create a path. No idea where they're saved if you've not designated a folder.

* being an ancient XBMC I can not know whether it supports screenshots and whether the method is the same.   

Edited by HDShadow

ok well ive got slayer 2.7 on a disc and a new drive in, and wouldnt ya know it......error 13 LOL

ill toss the OE drive it take a mess of screenshots as a referance and then try and get a fresh install going witrh a different new drive...assuming it will do it

any pre prep i need to do for said new drive?