OGXbox.com

Disable Dvd Drive On Hard Modded XBox?

Icarium

Quick question I am finding difficult to search online.

Like most, I mainly play games directly from the hard drive, but do occasionally like to play my games on disc. I am wondering if there is an application out there that gives you the option of disabling the dvd drive on startup?

I want to keep my dvd drive alive for as long as possible, and I cringe everytime I boot the Xbox and the laser searches for a disc that isn't there. It seems I am just degrading the lifetime of the drive that way. If I can disable the drive when I am not using it, I bet I would be able to squeeze more life out of it.

Thanks!

Edited by Icarium

A Thompson drive it will still make noise on power up anyway

You can flash a bios that has the DVD check disabled and then unplug the power cable.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icarium said:

Quick question I am finding difficult to search online.

Like most, I mainly play games directly from the hard drive, but do occasionally like to play my games on disc. I am wondering if there is an application out there that gives you the option of disabling the dvd drive on startup?

I want to keep my dvd drive alive for as long as possible, and I cringe everytime I boot the Xbox and the laser searches for a disc that isn't there. It seems I am just degrading the lifetime of the drive that way. If I can disable the drive when I am not using it, I bet I would be able to squeeze more life out of it.

Thanks!

If you really want to be able to turn the dvd drive on and off do as Dave suggests and also add an inline switch to the power line of the dvd on the back of your Xbox. It saves the hassle of having to replug the drive when you want use it.

• Like 1