OGXbox.com

Weird Problem With Capacitors

bulkchart32

i'm not well versed on how to interpret the readings on capacitors but my understanding is that the uf should go down as the cap is wearing out. i pulled a couple of 3300uf caps off of a board and they are both reading over 8000uf in my esr meter. i tried some new caps to be certain that the meter is reading correctly and it is. why would the uf go up on an old cap?

That is a bit odd

The cap's that are fitted  in the  Xbox would have a +/- 20% tolerance 

I would replace it anyway and I normally don't bother testing the old ones I just chuck them straight in the bin.

Was the test done with the cap out of the board and did you discharge it 1st?

Also Dr Google came back with a couple of the same questions but no answers.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

46 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That is a bit odd

The cap's that are fitted  in the  Xbox would have a +/- 20% tolerance 

I would replace it anyway and I normally don't bother testing the old ones I just chuck them straight in the bin.

Was the test done with the cap out of the board and did you discharge it 1st?

Also Dr Google came back with a couple of the same questions but no answers.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

they were all 3 out of the board. they were the 3 right by the cpu/gpu. 2 of them were over 8000 and one was almost 8000. i did replace them. i found that very odd, though.

The Caps where probably going open circuit I have had some out of amplifiers that look 100% but the ESR meter would not read anything .

Cheers

SS Dave