OGXbox.com

Ftp'ing Games To XBox Takes So Long.

bulkchart32

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Verynormal said:

Wow i never knew you could do that, this changes everything lol all my games have just been sitting on my pc cuz i didnt want to take the time to FTP em.

u can set your pc to ftp them and go do something else if u do go the ftp route. that way, it won't really hurt keep u from doing something.

As I've found out only this week when I've at last been provided by my iSP with a more up to date router (more LAN ports too) the speed you get with FTP to/from the Xbox is significantly affected.

My old router which I've been using for 6 years only supported 'up to 100Mbps'  and was always disconnecting/reconnecting and failing to transfer multiple files when using FileZilla. I often use CoreFTP free because I get less of that with it but it is noticeable slower than FileZilla, when that's working as it should.

But I noticed with the new router that the ethernet port was now showing an orange LED instead of the usual green. At first I thought this was a fault indication but when I checked my motherboard's manual I soon discovered that all it meant was that I was using a router with 'up to 1Gbps' speed.

The speed difference is remarkable. I had 25GB of stuff to FTP and it zipped through the first 20GB without a single disconnection and much, much faster than the old router.

I will be honest and say it didn't all go as smoothly. There was some issue with about a dozen file names in the last 5GB and using the UnleashX dash I had trouble even just reconnecting and went over to XBMC which connected first time and gave me no such problems with exactly the same files.

But the point is the experience and particularly the speed you get FTPing to/from the Xbox is dependent on a number of factors and the router is probably the most important one.

Just pointing out the the xbox has 100mb/s max ethernet. Therefore total transfer time will still be 100mb/s despite 1Gb orange light between your PC and router. So you were already at the best speed. With 1Gb/s, data gets from PC to router faster but sits there until xbox is ready to accept data.

100mb/s has theoretical max 45 Gigabytes per hour (80% is realistic due to processing and buffers etc). 1 game should transfer roughly 15 minutes this will slightly vary depending on other traffic and router settings, but certainly not an hour or days.

Given described symptoms and 6 years, I suspect possibly minute cable breaks or bent/dirty/oxidized contacts for the frequent disconnects and slowness. Software can be coded to be more resilient to connection problems or left sensitive to issues, i.e. CoreFTP might hide time outs and reattempt operations in the background hidden from user, which explains the slowness, where as FileZilla gives up. Possibly the router has deteriorated i.e. bad ram/chips/board connections, or accumulated data its filled cache and needs a factory reset or other oddness.

Best to throw out the old router and cables so they don't get used again (very frustrating diagnosing these problems at work only to find a known bad cable was put back in the store room which gets used again 🥳)

Unrelated to this but I recently found a brand new USB<->ethernet adapter I bought $5 from Ebay/China only working at 5mb/s (was set to 100Mb/s)....barely ok for web browsing but painful for transferring anything.

Edited by corona2222

5 hours ago, corona2222 said:

Just pointing out the the xbox has 100mb/s max ethernet. Therefore total transfer time will still be 100mb/s despite 1Gb orange light between your PC and router. So you were already at the best speed. With 1Gb/s, data gets from PC to router faster but sits there until xbox is ready to accept data.

Well, yes and no. Before, his PC was limited to 100Mbit/s overall. So in addition to the transfer to the xbox, the PC would share that same bandwidth with other applications, Web browsing, downloading and general network overhead. So switching the PC to a gigabit connection can improve transfer speed even to a 100Mbit/s fast-ethernet-only device because other activities do not cut into that fast-ethernet bandwidth.

But yes, ftp transfer to the xbox will never exceed fast-ethernet speeds.

Edited by Localhorst86

1 hour ago, Localhorst86 said:

Well, yes and no. Before, his PC was limited to 100Mbit/s overall. So in addition to the transfer to the xbox, the PC would share that same bandwidth with other applications, Web browsing, downloading and general network overhead. So switching the PC to a gigabit connection can improve transfer speed even to a 100Mbit/s fast-ethernet-only device because other activities do not cut into that fast-ethernet bandwidth.

But yes, ftp transfer to the xbox will never exceed fast-ethernet speeds.

"it depends on other traffic" 😉 i.e. from the PC or other networked devices.

OP has 1Gb/s between PC<-> router now, so they can max out xbox FTP with about 0.9Gb/s to play with for any surfing, downloading, etc.

Adding for future reference: 95 seconds to transfer 1GB contiguous file over 100Mb/s router to Xbox. I noticed FileZilla drops out "too many connections" when many files are queued up - solved by limiting connections to 1 in settings.

I understand and understood that the Xbox speed is the limiting factor but it is the simple truth the new 1Gbps router is faster for whatever reason.

What I found is that with the old router FTPing to the Xbox would tend to get slower as the session progressed. That's even though I had the max user number limited to one, both Xbox and router. The number of disconnections, three retries often with disconnections between them, all slowed FileZilla significantly.

With this new router, using exactly the same PC, cables and FileZilla, the FTP speed is clearly faster and, probably as significant, much more consistent. That's new. Yesterday I FTPed a just under 3GB Xbox game to the Xbox in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to burn the XISO and install it using DVD2Xbox. With the old router the typical time difference was usually marginal now there's no comparison.

The new 1Gbps router is the only change.     

Edited by HDShadow

Just wanted to chime in and say I've been loving FATxplorer. It's incredibly convenient to be able to build hard drives right from Windows using USB3 / SATA speeds. I built a 2TB drive in about 6 hours using this method, where normal FTP would take me about 2 days usually. I like it so much I bought a license key. The developer is also very responsive to users.

One potential downside is that you have to find a reliable way to copy tons of files. Dragging and dropping in windows is fine for a couple GBs, but >1TB of stuff gets tricky, especially if there's an error for whatever reason. There's plenty of folder-sync apps for Windows (Microsoft's SyncToy is decent), but what I ended up doing is hooking up my USB HDD full of games to my router, which runs an FTP site, and the Xbox drive is then connected to my PC via SATA. Then I use FileZilla to manage the whole copy process. I changed FileZilla's settings to transfer 2 files at a time to help with the huge amount of smaller files (copying more than 2 files at once seemed to hurt more than it helped). I was seeing average transfer speeds of ~80MB/s. Speeds were somewhat less than when both drives are natively hooked up to the PC, but in my case I also want to access all my Xbox files from my network. Copying apps/dashboards from my FTP site through XBMC is very convenient.

Anyways, I can't say enough good things about FATXplorer. Great software. Can't wait to see what other goodies gets added to it after it's out of beta.

9 hours ago, prtscn said:

unleashx is not reliable but uses full speed. Does anyone know standalone ftp client for xbox? Because when you do many games, unleashx just goes corrupted.

In Filezilla, create a Site Entry in the Site Manager for connection to your Xbox.  Set this new entry's properties except for the IP address as shown below:

1877619346_FileZilla-UseonlyplainFTP(insecure).jpg.924d6b5481c05c062fed7b1f67ccdd8d.jpg

User: xbox
Password: xbox

then on the Transfer Settings tab make sure the settings are as shown below:

1043643675_FileZilla-specificsite-Transfersettings.JPG.c9b82369637c22a8caefb26c669e016a.JPG

sounds like you had a router that was just choking the connection..typical of service provider junk..its why i dont use them, nothing but netgear in here!!!!

as far as file transfers go, let me make a few recommendations, that i learned the hard way

a nas drive is great but will generate a TON of heat when cramming a ton of data onto it...BIG FAN needed, i had the best luck after killing some drives, to use a 4 bay "tray" from a pc case with the drive mounted in the center, and a 120mm fan running on 12v blowing across it thru the cage as a air tunnel

"chunk by chunk" is most reliable..ie all of a-b then b-c etc, this will also allow you to keep tabs on the space left on the 1tb partition and plan accordingly

too many files at once "may" shut down the drive, bug out fatx, or bog your machine down into doing alot of corruption that you wont find out till later

for absolute best results, transfer no more than 50-100 games at a time, the more you do at once the higher your chances of a "fault" of some kind, yes..im aware this is kinda a pain, but its a bigger pain to do say A-H only to have an issue at some point so you start over...admittedly i pushed my luck and dis entire alphabetic leters of games but ran into issues sometimes causing me to re-do the whole set again...the bigger issue i found was after you did say A-F that fatx would start to slow and chunk around, and get slowly less stable, a reboot was the only way to fix it..was it fatx or the machine i was using..dunno but probably both...

thats my take on it anyway,  its better to do it semi slow in controlled groups  than to just grab stuff n walk away