OGXbox.com

Date Settings Reset Problem

Badore90

Hi, I soft-modded my Xbox (1.6) some years ago (I think 5) with SID 12.

The soft-mod main dashboard is UnleashX. I moved it (the 3 files) from E:\ to E:\Apps and installed XBMC4XBOX in E:\ making it as my main dash (with a shorcut.xbe).

On the HW side I replaced the IDE cable with a 80 wires one and installed a SATA III 2,5" Barracuda HDD (connected with the Sabrent ide to sata board. HDD blocked with a 2,5" to 3,5" mount)

I installed a lot of Xbox games and emulators, never had a single problem but this one:

Since the beginning it keeps resetting the time zone (it happened very often). I always set it again, in all 3 dashboards (UnleashX, XBMC and the original Dash) but it keep resetting. I remember when updating to the last XBMC version, it seemed to reset less often, but i can't tell for sure.

I was some good amount of months (maybe a year) without using the Xbox and when I came back to use it I noticed the problem is changed. Now it reset all the date settings to 1 January 2007 (ironically the time zone seems to keep the settings now).

The Xbox is always connected to the A/C power. I think it's a software related problem, because it seems to reset depending on the date. I gave up on manually re-setting the correct date and leaved it as it was. It never reset anymore. It started on 1/1/2007. It's been a months now and date keeps going corectly (If I set the actual current date, after one or two rebooting at max, it resets).

For curiosity I checked the last @Rocky5 installer to see what has changed in the last 5 years (I have a lot of installers, old stuff though). I noticed this note about main Features:

Clock auto set to 01/01/2019 (No more clock loops)

It can be something related to my problem??

I want to specify that I'm really good with my old SID 12 softmod, everything works 100% perfectly aside the above mentioned issue and i'm not even sure it is related to the soft-mod or to the fact I moved UnleashX files or something else.

So, there's a way to solve it, maybe changing some settings, replacing files?? Otherwise, if it's a issue not solvable on my old soft-mod, I could consider to update it with the new 1.1.7 installer (hoping to not damage anything).

If you need more infos just ask, thank you and sorry for the bad english.

Edited by Badore90

It is the one annoying thing about SID/AID that the clock will not keep and date past June 2020. I think the 20th to be precise. On reboot or restart no matter what the charge state of the clock capacitor it will revert to the original date. I bet if you change the year to 2019 the date problem will disappear. If it does then what I've described is the problem.

No solution unfortunately except either fit a chip or TSOP and use a BIOS that doesn't do the clock check or change the softmod (I refuse to call it an upgrade) to Rocky5's XBSMT which addresses the problem.

Alternatively do what you've done and set the year to any other pre-2020 or just ignore it.

SID/AID is still as good to use as it always has been otherwise. 

BTW you should open up the case and check the clock capacitors and the others too. If there is any sign of bulging or leakage they should be replaced. It being a v1.6 your Xbox is less likely to have any problem with the clock cap but it is still sensible to check.  

• Like 1

You could try leaving it connected to you home network and then it should set the time and date from the internet time server each time you power it on

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

SID has a problem with a date after, I believe, June 6, 2019 - the maximum date value it checks for the date/time being out of range.  Not exactly sure why they didn't set the year to something much larger 2099, 2999.  With SID if the date is past the maximum check value, the softmod will reset the date time to its minimum set value of midnight 1/1/2007.

Edit: Not to say that Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool doesn't use the same date/time out-of-bounds checks; however, its maxtimefields data is set to midnight 1/1/2099.

from ernie.asm:

maxtimefields
                            dw 2099        ; Year
                            dw 1        ; Month
                            dw 1        ; Day
                            dw 0        ; Hour
                            dw 0        ; Minute
                            dw 0        ; Second
                            dw 0        ; Milliseconds
                            dw 0        ; Weekday (ignored)

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you.

No capacitors are leaking, the problem is about SID for sure. Maybe the time-zone resetting too was a SID related problem.

I cannot connect the Xbox to internet.

For avoiding eventual problems on game saves (being a save overwriting on a older date could be a problem for certain games maybe, I think to remember on Ps2 it can be with some games), I think I'll change my softmod to the @Rocky5 one using the pre-built 1.1.7 installer.

Once I boot it it said to me that a kind of warning message about a BIOS is detected, then show me the option if i want to change my soft-mod, there aren't other options.

About the installer: all things I need are integrated into the ISO?? Or maybe I need to move the softmod save file into the UDATA folder for the disc to read it, or something else?

One last question for a friend. He has a Xbox with a modchip, just the chip every other thing is as original. 

I helped he in creating a new HDD (a 1tb one) for replacing the og one, we done it with XboxHDM. 

Then, once inserted the 1.1.7 pre-built disc installer it shows options for choosing between a soft-modded Xbox or a Tsopped/chipped one, we choose the second one.

We installed a couple modded dashboard, all is fine. However this way he doesn't have the useful NKPatcher settings.

So what's the better thing? We should enter the menu for soft-modded Xboxes and softmod it (no conflict problems with the chip)? Or perhaps there's a way to install the NKPatcher settings separately without soft-modding?? Sorry for the little O.T.

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Edit: Not to say that Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool doesn't use the same date/time out-of-bounds checks; however, its maxtimefields data is set to midnight 1/1/2099.

from ernie.asm:

maxtimefields
                            dw 2099        ; Year
                            dw 1        ; Month
                            dw 1        ; Day
                            dw 0        ; Hour
                            dw 0        ; Minute
                            dw 0        ; Second
                            dw 0        ; Milliseconds
                            dw 0        ; Weekday (ignored)

So my My nephews are going to face the problem again :D

Therefore, there's no way on changing this (setting it on 2099) on my SID softmod??

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

What settings are you trying/wanting to change with NKPatcher?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I know that you can do everything with apps (I used to do so). But my friend has a very little experience with these things. We live far away from each other and I have little free time for guiding him step by step in everything (indeed it takes a week for a 5 minutes job, guiding him for downloading some programs he needed and how to use them).

That said, i.e. he has to format F drive (since XHDM only formatted 137GB of it and UnleashX from 1.1.7 installer doesn't have the formatting menu) ), and he could easilly screw up things using XBPartitioner. Better using the options from NKPatcher I think. Plus I saw interesting stuff on the main features list, like the fun speed setting, Populate partitions, LED colors.

You think it's better to not install it?? 

All those items not included in the menu of UnleashX can be added by editing its config.xml file.

For more information read:

However, UnleashX will not correctly format the extended partitions of a hard drive if they are larger than 256GBs.  It only supports 16KB cluster allocations which is limited to an extended partition size of 256GBs.  The extended partitions on an Xbox hard drive are 6 and 7.  The F and G drives respectively.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

All those items not included in the menu of UnleashX can be added by editing its config.xml file.

For more information read:

However, UnleashX will not correctly format the extended partitions of a hard drive if they are larger than 256GBs.  It only supports 16KB cluster allocations which is limited to an extended partition size of 256GBs.  The extended partitions on an Xbox hard drive are 6 and 7.  The F and G drives respectively.

You're right, I forgot about its limit. 

We tried formatting with XBPartitioner, but it see only 120GB (on a 1tb HDD, the free space should be +900GB for extended partitions), so he only have options for a 120GB F drive or 60GB F + 60GB G.

When pressing start he got this attached message.

We formatted the extended partitions using chimp a couple days ago. My friend want  a F partition only. Chimp splitted the space between F and G (about 460GB per partition) even if we select "F takes all the available space", probably due to a 32KB cluster limit. However it formatted the partitions without any error message.

What about upgrading the BIOS, how it works?? It's a modchip related thing I guess. 

IMG-20200701-WA0008.jpg

20 minutes ago, Badore90 said:

You're right, I forgot about its limit. 

We tried formatting with XBPartitioner, but it see only 120GB (on a 1tb HDD, the free space should be +900GB for extended partitions), so he only have options for a 120GB F drive or 60GB F + 60GB G.

When pressing start he got this attached message.

We formatted the extended partitions using chimp a couple days ago. My friend want  a F partition only. Chimp splitted the space between F and G (about 460GB per partition) even if we select "F takes all the available space", probably due to a 32KB cluster limit. However it formatted the partitions without any error message.

What about upgrading the BIOS, how it works?? It's a modchip related thing I guess. 

[Image removed, see above]

Which BIOS is it using?  

The BIOS you are booting doesn't support reading an XBPartitioner partition table from the hard drive. And possibly, the use of 32KB or 64KB cluster allocations.

At the end I changed my Xbox (1.6) from the old soft-mod (SID 5.12) to Rocky installer 1.1.7

All fine, better than I thought. It didn't touched anything of my previous settings, I still have XMBC short-cut working and UnleashX dash from the old soft-mod (that has the formatting options).

The DATA reset issue is 100% solved.

Just a little thing I noticed. Flicker filter settings on both UnleashX from the 1.1.7 soft-mod and NKPatcher screen, doesn't take effect on Reboot.

I have the flicker filter set to 0 (soften off), I can see the filter is eliminated in real time when I'm setting it in the option's screen. However if I reboot the dash the flicker filter return as default (it is set to 0 in the options, the setting is correctly saved, but it's not being applied on the actual picture).

Maybe is a issue related to the skin, I'll try changing to the normal UnleashX skin.

Using my other dashboards (XMBC, XBMC4GAMERS and UnleashX from the old soft-mod) the flicker filter setting is correctly applied.

8 minutes ago, Badore90 said:

I have the flicker filter set to 0 (soften off), I can see the filter is eliminated in real time when I'm setting it in the option's screen. However if I reboot the dash the flicker filter return as default (it is set to 0 in the options, the setting is correctly saved, but it's not being applied on the actual picture).

Maybe is a issue related to the skin, I'll try changing to the normal UnleashX skin.

Using my other dashboards (XMBC, XBMC4GAMERS and UnleashX from the old soft-mod) the flicker filter setting is correctly applied.

I believe to make the change persistent across reboots, you need to use the NKPatcher Settings application to modify the softmod's settings. From Rocky5's github.com Xbox Softmodding Tool repository's README.md file:

7.1 Flicker Filter
Used to change the blur amount when using 480i and 576i video signals.

• Disable
  • Off
  • Low
  • Semi Medium
  • Medium
  • Semi High
  • High

36 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I believe to make the change persistent across reboots, you need to use the NKPatcher Settings application to modify the softmod's settings. From Rocky5's github.com Xbox Softmodding Tool repository's README.md file:

7.1 Flicker Filter
Used to change the blur amount when using 480i and 576i video signals.

• Disable
  • Off
  • Low
  • Semi Medium
  • Medium
  • Semi High
  • High

I tried that too but no effects.  

I think that option is for when playing games. I don't know if it patch the xbes like XBMC or do something on xbox bios. 

Anyway it is not a problem at all. I'm just curious to know if it's normal behavior for anyone..

Edited by Badore90

My friend (Xbox 1.1) is having some problems after flashed the BIOS and formatted the HDD.

Modchip is: SST 49LF020

He flashed the BIOS: M8+ Official.67 (F&G) from SlaYer v3.3u Full disc

He formatted with XBP for F to take all the space. XBP correctly see a 924.06GB F partition (64kb clusters),

The problem it that from dashboards (both UnleashX and XBMC4Gamers) the F partition shows 642GB of free space out of 946GB. He has only one game installed (3GB), what is filling the remaining 301GB??

I have no experience at all about modchip and BIOS flashing, my Xbox is original (just soft-modded). So any info would be appreciated. Maybe that M8+ Bios requires to use both F&G partitions by force?? 

Edited by Badore90

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2020 at 1:16 AM, KaosEngineer said:

xbox-hq.com released a new version of SID - version 6.0.  It's available to VIP members there. For more information visit:

It takes care of the date resetting problem.  The maxtimefields data is set to midnight 20990606 and mintimefields to midnight 20190101.  

Thanks a lot for the SID 6.0 info~ :D