OGXbox.com

I Think I Choose the Wrong Hdd

bulkchart32

i got a 3tb seagate barracuda 5400rpm drive for my xbox. after loading it with games it became pretty sluggish to load things. games ran great when they finally loaded, though. i wanted something quiet and i know the 7200rpm wd drives can be noisey. has anyone else tried both a 5400rpm and 7200rpm to see what the difference is with speed and noise?

3 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You probably found it got slower the more you copied to it as well.

What Dashboard are you using.?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

unleashx. the speed for launching a game improved itself for some reason. dashboard loads very slowly, though.

Edited by bulkchart32

The dashboard is probably checking for any changes to the games,apps directories each time it loads so the more you add the longer it takes to boot.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

The dashboard is probably checking for any changes to the games,apps directories each time it loads so the more you add the longer it takes to boot.

Cheers

SS Dave

is there a way to stop it from doing that?

17 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Not that I am aware of but someone else might

I have heard somewhere that you can do that with XBMC4Gamers.

Cheers

SS Dave

will the wd black drive help any?

Just now, SS_Dave said:

How long is it taking to fully boot the dash at the moment?

Cheers

SS Dave

i haven't timed it. and i just did a full erase of the hdd and i'm fixing to try it again so i can't test it atm. how long does it take yours?

The 2tb wd drive that's running the dragon dash is about 45 seconds to boot from power on.

The best I have seen was XBMC4Gamers on a 500 gig in 30 seconds from power on.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The 2tb wd drive that's running the dragon dash is about 45 seconds to boot from power on.

The best I have seen was XBMC4Gamers on a 500 gig in 30 seconds from power on.

Cheers

SS Dave

i had a thought come to mind about this. u said that the dash is looking for any changes and that is why it takes so long to load. is there a way to turn that feature off with the bios ini or cfg file? once i have all the games on the system that i want, i'm not really gonna need that feature anymore.

31 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

i had a thought come to mind about this. u said that the dash is looking for any changes and that is why it takes so long to load. is there a way to turn that feature off with the bios ini or cfg file? once i have all the games on the system that i want, i'm not really gonna need that feature anymore.

Hi, if you have got the time have a read of this thread it’s pretty old now but the tech hasn’t really changed and it talks about the issues of using a large hdd. https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=649

8 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

I have read about editing the start up animations to get the dash to boot quicker, it was mainly for users getting issues with the dash just hanging. It might be in the thread above, it’s along time since I read it.

that is a big thread. where is the part that it talks about issues with the big hdd's?