OGXbox.com

How To Set the Fan To Auto On Hardmod System?

bulkchart32

I think you really want to be using XBMC as your main dash to do what you want. UnleashX sets a static speed (x1 to x5 in 0.5 increments) with a thermal limit you can set when a higher fan speed will kick in.

With XBMC it can be set up like that too but you also have the option of auto temperature control which will constantly adjust the fan speed depending on the temperature. You can set a target temperature and a lower fan speed limit too ie. under 20% (x1) so that if the system does not need cooling the fan speed can drop to say 10% or even less.

Keeps it quiet but I find fan speed changes more annoying than constant speed so as 20%(x1) is effective in a temperate climate with high ambient temperatures rarely exceeding 30°C that's what I use most of the year on all dashes. I only push it up to x2 on hot summer days.

I find that 30% fan speed is fine all year round here as long as the hard drive mounting tray and the DVD with it's mounting tray are installed as they force the air past the 2 heat sinks and past the PSU heat sinks as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I find that 30% fan speed is fine all year round here as long as the hard drive mounting tray and the DVD with it's mounting tray are installed as they force the air past the 2 heat sinks and past the PSU heat sinks as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

the problem with that is that it makes the system more noisey than it needs to be. i intentionally picked a 5400rpm seagate barracuda hdd because i knew the drive is almost silent. i'm really wanting my modded xbox to be as quiet as reasonably possible because the xbox is generally a noisey system. i want something that i can fall asleep with while it is left on. so i want the fan to be able to slow down when the system is not working hard.

8 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I think you really want to be using XBMC as your main dash to do what you want. UnleashX sets a static speed (x1 to x5 in 0.5 increments) with a thermal limit you can set when a higher fan speed will kick in.

With XBMC it can be set up like that too but you also have the option of auto temperature control which will constantly adjust the fan speed depending on the temperature. You can set a target temperature and a lower fan speed limit too ie. under 20% (x1) so that if the system does not need cooling the fan speed can drop to say 10% or even less.

Keeps it quiet but I find fan speed changes more annoying than constant speed so as 20%(x1) is effective in a temperate climate with high ambient temperatures rarely exceeding 30°C that's what I use most of the year on all dashes. I only push it up to x2 on hot summer days.

how do i set that desktop as my default?

I always wondered, is the bios setting for fan speed actually hard coded or not, and is it in all bioses? The Xbox was certainly designed to have dynamic fan speed, based on measured temperatures by the SMC.

In an ideal world we could just tweak the fan speed multiplier or algorithm so we can have a higher baseline (if one prefers that).

Edited by CorpusDeal

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

As far as I am aware as soon as you launch a game the fan returns to the BIOS setting.  

Yes, that appears to be correct.

I've just tested it on my one XBMC main dash machine (softmod) , which I did not have any games installed on until now (used primarily for music, videos etc). Indeed whatever fan settings you use for XBMC when a game launches it reverts to default 20% (x1). 

I always thought that was an UnleashX main dash thing and assumed it was because I was using XBMC just as an app and it was using the main dash settings for games. Never thought to test it.

So another BIOS controlled matter; interesting.  

Edited by HDShadow