OGXbox.com

Power Supply Significant Loud Pop & Smoke.

FerociousOG

Hello all,

So my friend dug up his old og Xbox, Been sitting on a book shelf for 10+ years. Opened it up today removed the clock capacitor and cleaned around it. While open, powered it and...  significant loud pop & smoke...đŸ˜”Unsure what caused it but are going to pull the power supply tomorrow. Anyone ever hear of this before, is my mobo damaged?

Thx in advance.

sounds like it either blew a cap which should be very obvious when u look at the top of the power supply or one of the pins for the power plug came unsoldered from the bottom of the psu(foxcon and delta psu's are notorious for doing this) and that will also be very obvious when looking at the bottom of the psu.  either problem is very easily fixed. if it's a cap then replace the cap. if it's the solder joint then just clean and resolder. if neither of u having any soldering skill then just get a psu from ebay for it.make certain that it is the correct version for the version of xbox u have(v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6) WARNING: THOSE CAPS ON THE PSU CAN HOLD A CHARGE OF 250VOLTS LONG AFTER IT HAS BEEN UNPLUGGED! they won't likely kill u unless u have an underlying heart condition but they can light u u up(i speak from experience)! unless one of u is well versed on working with psu's then make certain u leave the xbox unplugged for 3 hours to give the caps time to drain down. and it's very unlikely that the motherboard was damaged.

Edited by bulkchart32
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FerociousOG said:

Hello all,

So my friend dug up his old og Xbox, Been sitting on a book shelf for 10+ years. Opened it up today removed the clock capacitor and cleaned around it. While open, powered it and...  significant loud pop & smoke...đŸ˜”Unsure what caused it but are going to pull the power supply tomorrow. Anyone ever hear of this before, is my mobo damaged?

Thx in advance.

Did you catch the smoke as the non genuine smoke is not as good.

A loud pop/bang would probably be a Cap that's exploded and it maybe on the PSU or the caps next to the heatsink on the mail board.

As mentioned before be careful when working on a  PSU as yes there is 250 volt for a USA  PSU and over 300 volt for a AUS  PSU and that kicks.

I would suggest you post a pic of the main board and the PSU so we can get a better idea on whats happened.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FerociousOG said:

Hello all,

Thx in advance.

i misread your post at first and thought u said it happened with the psu. i agree with dave, check your motherboard for blown caps also. it should be pretty obvious where the damage is if smoke came out from it. btw, did u let what ever cleaner u used dry really well before powering on the board?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FerociousOG said:

Ok, removed the PS and mobo yesterday. No visible damage on ether side. Ordered a $7- replacement power supply for the 1.4.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Delta-Power-Suppy-Board/dp/B00AB0YYJM/

What happens when you try to power on the board? If you have an in-line rcd put that in between the wall socket and Xbox before you try.

3 hours ago, FerociousOG said:

Ok, removed the PS and mobo yesterday. No visible damage on ether side. Ordered a $7- replacement power supply for the 1.4.

if it legit had smoke come out of it then u should see a burn mark somewhere or a blown cap. did it have visible smoke come out of it?

6 hours ago, FerociousOG said:

And I would still not power it up until you worked out where the smoke came from as the damage may be on the main board and you could cause more damage by just changing the PSU.

I a case like yours I would power the old PSU separately and test the output voltages are correct and then power the main board from current limited power supplies.

Any 1/2 decent electronics tech would not say just plug it in with a RCD and see what happens as you could be doing irreparable damage .

An RCD, or residual current device, is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. ... RCDs offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers cannot provide.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

My friend lives out of state and he is an electrical engineer. Ok I'll ask for pics. He did receive the power supply today from Amazon and was able to power up the Xbox but NO VIDEO! The GPU heat sink does not warm up. 😱

sounds like it is likely a blown cap.

I can't see anything really bad there is one cap that looks a bit suspect but I don't think that's the problem.

photo-2020-07-02-22-21-47.jpg.ff8f17e95338d82d5c4c85511b289aab.jpg 

Can you get some picks of the main board.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FerociousOG said:

That''s what I thought too but according to him everything on the Pwr Supply & Mobo looks clean. Did try the composite video cable and HDMI adapter, no video. Pics of the dead Pwr Supply.

photo-2020-07-02-22-21-07.jpg photo-2020-07-02-22-21-13.jpg photo-2020-07-02-22-21-18.jpg photo-2020-07-02-22-21-23.jpg

photo-2020-07-02-22-21-35.jpg photo-2020-07-02-22-21-42.jpg photo-2020-07-02-22-21-47.jpg photo-2020-07-02-22-21-55.jpg

did visible smoke come out of the system when it messed up or did u just smell something burning with no visible smoke? is this psu completely dead? can u send us complete pics of the entire top and bottom of the main board?

3 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

did visible smoke come out of the system when it messed up or did u just smell something burning with no visible smoke? is this psu completely dead? can u send us complete pics of the entire top and bottom of the main board?

A lot of visible smoke and very loud pop. If the mobo is toast could I salvage the RAM to install on my v1.1?

10 minutes ago, FerociousOG said:

A lot of visible smoke and very loud pop. If the mobo is toast could I salvage the RAM to install on my v1.1?

if there was alot of visible smoke then there should be some kind of burn mark somewhere on that board or a visibly blown cap. please get us pics of it. and i don't know about the ram upgrade.

Yes you could salvage the Ram but depending on the failure that occurred it may be damaged 

If there was lost of visible smoke then a damaged part should be fairly easy to see

If the Xbox appears to power up and no video and the DVD drive will not open it could be the EEprom or the TSOP (BIOS) has become corrupt .

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks guys.

I'll ask again. According to him spoke came from the power supply, just after he pulled the dreaded clock capacitor. According to him, did pull the mobo and inspected both sides with no markings. It's assembled now so that's why I don't have pics of the mobo but I'll get them later.

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I can't see anything really bad there is one cap that looks a bit suspect but I don't think that's the problem.

photo-2020-07-02-22-21-47.jpg.ff8f17e95338d82d5c4c85511b289aab.jpg 

Can you get some picks of the main board.

Cheers

SS Dave

I did notice that too. Asked him not to throw anything away.

No that device is a RCD and will not protect the device it is to prevent electric shocks and fires.

An RCD, or residual current device, is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. ... RCDs offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers cannot provide.

As a example in Australia we have 240 volt I have one prob of a meter on one of the screws on the main board and the other prob on a ground point for the house .

IMG_20191211_082519.thumb.jpg.4b89f1cfcc1b3b554c43646529c61b94.jpg

This is what a RCD would protect you from.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

SIDE QUESTION: Are these power cords any good for extra protection or a good surge protector will suffice?

image.png.c50aa361865e56168391cde99c09dd0c.png

microsoft gave those to people with faulty power supplies to attempt at keeping them from catching on fire. it wouldn't help u at all. if u are concerned about power surges messing up your xbox then yes, a good surge protector should do. however, surge protectors are not 100%. i always unhook my xbox if a really bad lightening storm pops up. remember, lightening can come in through your a/v cords from your tv. so completely unhook it from everything if a bad lightening storm pops up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

No that device is a RCD and will not protect the device it is to prevent electric shocks and fires.

As a example in Australia we have 240 volt I have one prob of a meter on one of the screws on the main board and the other prob on a ground point for the house .

IMG_20191211_082519.thumb.jpg.4b89f1cfcc1b3b554c43646529c61b94.jpg

This is what a RCD would protect you from.

Cheers

SS Dave

that's a bad short. how'd u know top check it?

No shorts that's the nature of switch mode power supplies and one of the hazards of working with them.

That's also why a isolation transformer is a must when working on a switch mode power supplies.

And in that pic the Xbox was in standby mode so not even running just plugged in to the mains.

Cheers

SS Dave