OGXbox.com

Rocky5 Softmod Install - Black Screen

Stephen

I've been trying to install the Rocky5 softmod on a v1.6 and I keep hitting the same wall.  I've scoured the forums and tried every suggestion found with no difference and I'm appealing for more ideas/suggestions. 

Using SC, I load the Linux profile and click the next screen for checkpoints, then screen goes black.  There is no response or activity on the XBOX - no sound of drives moving, no change in LED color.  I've waited some time and nothing more.

- Swapped component and composite cables and 2 different TVs. Tried with component cable and set to "Normal", tried with composite cable

- recopied the game save to USB and to XBOX hdd.

-confirmed NTSC game version

-tried with multiple SC saves (tested game, it works) and with none (original attempts and after deleting test profile)

The version of SC will play - I made a new profile and started it, then deleted that profile. 

I know in advance that I should just put in a mod chip.... walking before I run :)

Thank you Rocky5 for the hard work on the softmod and MrMario for the instructional video that I apparently needed.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I know in advance that I should just put in a mod chip.... walking before I run

That's the only way I would mod it.

Are you using a composite (yellow ) lead and are you sure the Xbox is not hard modded(Mod Chip)?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

:)

I've tried component (blue-green-red) and composite (yellow) leads with the same result.

Yes, I'm sure it isn't hard modded - its a one owner XBOX and I did replace the DVD drive many years ago and I was the first to open it at that time

Edited by Stephen

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

:)

I've tried component (blue-green-red) and composite (yellow) leads with the same result.

Yes, I'm sure it isn't hard modded - its a one owner XBOX and I did replace the DVD drive many years ago and I was the first to open it at that time

Sorry is your Xbox already softmodded?

Edited by Ging3rguy

As I don't softmod I am guessing here but how long after selecting the game save are you waiting as if it is like the Hexen disk it can take awhile to load.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What version of splinter cell are you using as not all

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

I've been trying to install the Rocky5 softmod on a v1.6 and I keep hitting the same wall.  I've scoured the forums and tried every suggestion found with no difference and I'm appealing for more ideas/suggestions. 

Using SC, I load the Linux profile and click the next screen for checkpoints, then screen goes black.  There is no response or activity on the XBOX - no sound of drives moving, no change in LED color.  I've waited some time and nothing more.

- Swapped component and composite cables and 2 different TVs. Tried with component cable and set to "Normal", tried with composite cable

-tried with multiple SC saves (tested game, it works) and with none (original attempts and after deleting test profile)

The version of SC will play - I made a new profile and started it, then deleted that profile. 

I know in advance that I should just put in a mod chip.... walking before I run :)

Thank you Rocky5 for the hard work on the softmod and MrMario for the instructional video that I apparently needed.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

I would try another softmod not Rocky5’s and see if that will load, you could then update to Rocky5’s or try another copy of SC. Another option is to make an eeprom reader and then softmod using your pc or try a different game save exploit.

Hi Stephen

You know that you can also use to softmod with Rocky5

Tony Hawk's pro skater 4

Mechassault (The non live enabled version)

007 Agent Under Fire 

and both these version work as well

IMG_20200626_175627.thumb.jpg.69c015641ccfcc5d9eb97e0b13537220.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

I had a similar problem and it happened to be when using Rocky5's SC game save exploits too. But I do not think it had anything to do with that. This and similar problems have been reported for years using other SC softmod installer packages when you click on Checkpoints. Either it goes to black screen, a white screen or the console reboots which means with a disc in the tray SC reboots.

Just as SS_Dave suggested the way I resolved it was to use 007 AUF installer/exploit game saves instead.

My own theory (pure guesswork), impossible to test AFAIK,  is that when you delete the SC saves to try again it leaves something behind, possibly something in the TDATA folder or perhaps something cached on E:\ or  X:\ or Y:\ or Z:\. You cannot remove that pre-softmod or at least pre-being able to launch an installer dash.

What it does suggest is that either someone had tried to softmod it at an earlier date or one of your unluckily unsuccessful attempts did the same thing.

Not true ^. The game saves install are enough you do not need to create a profile before doing that. Just running the game creates UDATA and TDATA folders and all you'd be doing in copying in the installer/exploit game saves is over-writing the profile you just made, so pointless. In fact it is usually recommended to delete any previous SC saves before install the softmod ones. 

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  To put it succinctly: a few were things I'd already done but not listed, I tried a few of the suggestions and have a few more to go.  An alternative exploitable game is on the way and I'm working up the fortitude for the soldering requirements of a mod chip (not there, but working on it).  I will post any break through.

Stephen

On 6/25/2020 at 3:42 PM, Stephen said:

You copied both saves to the Xbox's hard drive.  The exploit Linux profile folder for the game you will mod the console with, in your case for SC - 5553000c, and the softmod installer folder, 21585554, too.