OGXbox.com

Correctly Burning a Iso / XIso

technoob

Hello, just wanna know: how do I check if a certain ISO I have is XISO or normal ISO ?

Once I know what kind of ISO it is, how to correctly burn it ?

So far, I've burned some installers correctly like Slayer Installer 2.7 and Hexen 2018, on a DVD-R and they work well.

But I'm not pretty sure, especially about Dual Layers, which cost a lot, so I don't want to fail the burning you know.

Any proper advice answering my questions ? Thank you so much.

Thank you, I know about upgrading HDD and installing games on it, but I just want to keep a DVD copy of the games (but not just as ISO files, as directly executable discs, like if they were games you know), in case the HD screws up.

Atm I'm waiting for the HD to arrive from ebay, so I've plenty of time to learn of to burn Xbox games properly.

For example, if I download a game from a certain site (or from torrents), what file do I get ? What should I do in order to make that file into an executable game disc  ?

Will that file be a common ISO, so I have just to burn it as it is, or do I have to convert it/patch it, in order to make the XBOX read it correctly ?

This is what I wanna know :)

Unfortunely where I live a DVD costs around 0.35€, a dual layer is 2,50€. So I need to know a 100% secure way to burn properly, or it's a waste of money, you know...

Edited by technoob
being more specific

31 minutes ago, technoob said:

Thank you, I know about upgrading HDD and installing games on it, but I just want to keep a DVD copy of the games (but not just as ISO files, as directly executable discs, like if they were games you know), in case the HD screws up.

Atm I'm waiting for the HD to arrive from ebay, so I've plenty of time to learn of to burn Xbox games properly.

For example, if I download a game from a certain site (or from torrents), what file do I get ? What should I do in order to make that file into an executable game disc  ?

Will that file be a common ISO, so I have just to burn it as it is, or do I have to convert it/patch it, in order to make the XBOX read it correctly ?

This is what I wanna know :)

Unfortunely where I live a DVD costs around 0.35€, a dual layer is 2,50€. So I need to know a 100% secure way to burn properly, or it's a waste of money, you know...

You can use xdvdmulleter to extract the files you need, there are a few how to’s on you tube.

There are basically three ways Xbox games are provided for download: zipped XISO, zipped extracted files and the relatively new boy on the block zipped full disc image dumps.

After unzipping/unRARing or whatever:-

XISO: just burn to DVD-R using ImgBurn at lowest supported speed - always works unless there is a media or PC burner fault. You can also extract the files from the XISO using C Xbox Tool or Qwix and FTP them to the Xbox.

Extracted files: FTP them or do the reverse of the latter ie. use C Xbox Tool or Qwix to create an XISO.

Image Dump: as Ging3rGuy said use XDVDMulleter to extract the files. Then do as for the above. Only hassle with this route is that you need a lot of free space and a fast-ish internet connection as most of the image dumps are just under 6GB, they unzip to 7+GB before you use XDVDMulleter. You don't really want to delete those until you're certain the XISO you've made works.      

Edited by HDShadow

Thanks for the XDVDMulleter, I didn't know that program.

So basically I have to check if it's XISO

- if it's XISO, I'll just have to burn it with Imgburn as usual

- if it's not XISO I have to extract the files into a folder, then make an XISO with XDVDMulleter (considering the root as the folder containing "default.xbe", I suppose?) or Qwix and burn the rebuilt XISO with Imgburn

?

Edited by technoob

2 hours ago, technoob said:

Thanks for the XDVDMulleter, I didn't know that program.

So basically I have to check if it's XISO

- if it's XISO, I'll just have to burn it with Imgburn as usual

- if it's not XISO I have to extract the files into a folder, then make an XISO with XDVDMulleter (considering the root as the folder containing "default.xbe", I suppose?) or Qwix and burn the rebuilt XISO with Imgburn

?

Hi, yes just burn xiso with imgburn or use qwix to create the xiso from the folder you have made with xdvdmulleter and then burn.

i just ftp to my hdd and load from there as most of these DVD players are nearly 20 years old.

Ok, it all worked fine with a game I've recently downloaded. It came as zipped files (most probably to use directly on HD), I just extracted them, converted them into XISO with Qwix, burned the XISO with Imgburn at 2x and the Xbox was able to read it well (played a little bit too a time trial challenge, no problems).

Thank you all for the hints so far  :)

Just one more little question, now that I've burned the XISO on the DVD, the PC (Windows) doesn't read it (it doesn't display any file, I guess that's normal, as it's a burned XISO). Which program do I use to view/extract the contents of the disc ? (Practically the backwards route) I tried with Mulleter but it doesn't recognize my usb external DVD drive.

:edit:

nevermind

Was able to do it with Isobuster, problem solved.

Thank you all again :)

Edited by technoob

yep, I know, but that's necessary for XBox original discs. It takes a lot to 1. rip the game on the xbox 2. transfer it via ftp to PC (took half an hour just for 2.5gb last time). I just used Isobuster to check the burned DVD, found the session and extracted it as ISO, all files are there. Strangely Isobuster doesn't show them, but inside the ISO (once extracted) they're visible (with MagicISO). Lol how many programs already

anything works fine anyway, I think I got it. now I just have to wait for that ebay auction so I can install the new HD.

Edited by technoob