OGXbox.com

Help With Hard Drive Swap

BaconWizard17

Hi all! I need some help with switching out the hard drive in my XBOX. I've been battling with it for some time, so I decided to get some help.

My XBOX version is 1.1. I currently have it softmodded with Rocky5's softmod. Originally, I had gotten a 1TB SATA drive for my XBOX (WD10EZEX-22MFCAO, which seemed like a good choice, since many other WD10EZEX drives seemed to work for others in the hard drive compatibility chart). Along with it, I got a SATA to IDE adapter, an 80-wire IDE cable, and the molex power splitter.

When I first attempted to configure the drive, the exposed contacts from the back of the SATA to IDE adapter (where the power connects in) touched the back of the hard drive when I was hot swapping the IDE cable. There was a spark (I didn't think to cover the connection), and since CHIMP would never load, I assumed I had fried the drive. I ordered another one, and it wouldn't work either, so I realized it was a compatibility issue.

After this, I decided to switch to a smaller, cheaper IDE drive (this Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 hard drive) that a friend said he had gotten to work before. I ordered it and attempted to configure it (using the original 40 wire IDE cable and no SATA to IDE adapter of course), and while I was able to launch CHIMP, it errors out part way through the process.

Here's what I've been doing:

1. Install CHIMP to E:/Apps, and place linuxboot.cfg into my E: drive
  2. Open the XBOX. Unplug the molex cable from the original hard drive and connect the splitter to it, one end of which I connect back to the original hard drive
  3. Place the new hard drive on top of my DVD drive (with the antistatic bag the drive came in between them)
  4. Check the mode of my new hard drive. I have tried it both with the jumper in the Cable Select Enabled position, and in Slave mode (no jumper)
  5. Launch the XBOX and wait 5 minutes for the DVD drive to go to sleep
  6. Swap the IDE cable from the DVD drive to the slave drive (within 5 seconds)
  7. Go to my applications list and launch CHIMP
  8. On the first menu button prompt, I press A to confirm that the slave drive is connected
  9. CHIMP begins to run its processes. After loading for a bit, it gets stuck on a screen saying that it can't allocate resources, with a picture of the Linux penguin in the top right

I'm assuming that since CHIMP can actually boot up with this drive, that the problem might not be the drive itself, though I could be wrong (with the previous WD10EZEX drives, my XBOX would just completely freeze up when I booted CHIMP). I've tested my XBOX with just the existing hard drive installed, and that has no problems, as I'm able to play games fine and navigate through the dashboard just fine. I'm not entirely sure where my problem could be coming from, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by BaconWizard17

2 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

New drive should be slave and your original should be master. Run chimp and then attach your new drive when asked and the hit go.

So I need to connect the slave drive after I launch chimp? All the videos I’ve watched have said to connect it before launching chimp

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

The latest version of Chimp does not require linuxboot.cfg to be installed to E:\ and the rest of the app in a subfolder of E.

Download Chimp 261812 and use it instead of the older version you are trying to run.

https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/

I think that’s the version I have (I’ll check it again to be sure though). If that is the version I have, could the cfg file be conflicting with it?

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

The new version of Chimp prompts you when to connect the new hard drive (SLAVE device) after you start it. 

My mistake. All the tutorials said to do it before, so I figured that was still the case. Is the 5 minute wait still necessary, or can I go straight into chimp after booting my Xbox? 

Go straight into Chimp 261812, not sure what this 5 minute wait's all about.

The new version doesn't use linuxboot.cfg. All the files are self contained in the subfolder where it is installed:

• Changes.txt (not actually required to run Chimp 261812)
  • config.cfg
  • default.xbe
  • initrd.gz
  • linux267

Chimp 261812 must be installed on the E drive (e.g., in E:\Apps\Chimp or E:\Chimp).

Edit: here's the entire list of locations it can run from:

E:\applications\chimp
    E:\applications\chimp loader
    E:\apps\chimp
    E:\apps\chimp loader
    E:\chimp
    E:\chimp loader

4 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Go straight into Chimp 261812, not sure what this 5 minute wait's all about.

The new version doesn't use linuxboot.cfg. All the files are self contained in the subfolder where it is installed:

• Changes.txt (not actually required to run Chimp 261812)
  • config.cfg
  • default.xbe
  • initrd.gz
  • linux267

I see. I’ll check on that tomorrow

A YouTube tutorial I watched (by Mr. Mario I think?) said that it’s necessary to wait 5 minutes for the disc drive to go to sleep before beginning the hot swap. I guess that’s out of date info

That advice to wait for the disc drive to go to sleep for 5 minutes was never correct. Initially when the Xbox boots it checks for a disc but it shouldn't be doing anything when launching an installed version of Chimp.

Better this straight from the horse's mouth. In fact it is slightly out of date as the later v1.01 Chimp Loader includes a cable swap prompt screen before it launches the main Chimp menu.

I know some US guys have complained they have difficulty with Rocky5's Scottish accent but what he's doing is clear on screen so it shouldn't be a big issue to most.

Restarting my post instead of continually appending to it:

I made the changes suggested to Chimp (deleted linuxboot.cfg, deleted my old chimp files, added the 5 mentioned files to E:\Applications\chimp). I went into Chimp straight away, and did the cable swap when it prompted me to. I realized that what I thought was an error screen is normal. Standby for testing...

Test results: After pressing A to confirm that the drive is connected, I get stuck on the part that says PCI: cannot allocate resources.... (10:42 in this video). On The video, it goes past the lines that start with PCI pretty quickly, but mine just gets stuck on that and doesn't advance to the next line (the one that says no controller found). The cursor is not flashing on it, so I think it's frozen

Additional Questions

• On another forum where I asked this question, someone suggested that I do a TSOP flash, which they said would help improve hard drive compatibility. I looked into it, and it seems doable, but I'm not sure if it'll be necessary for me. You guys seem knowledgeable (and more helpful), so I figured I'd ask here if it was necessary. 
  • I wasn't able to reply to this thread for a while, because it said that I had posted the maximum number of posts that I could in a day. Is that just a thing for new members? If so, how long does that last?
  • Is it possible to get new case screws for the Xbox (i.e. are they just a standard size)? I think one of them is starting to strip from all my taking it apart, and I want to replace it before it causes problems

If someone can delete the previous post, please do so, as it's very rambly. Sorry for double posting

Edited by BaconWizard17

30 minutes ago, BaconWizard17 said:

I wasn't able to reply to this thread for a while, because it said that I had posted the maximum number of posts that I could in a day. Is that just a thing for new members? If so, how long does that last?

Yes it is, If you have  a look in the store tab for a small donation you can bypass that and start downloading as well.

31 minutes ago, BaconWizard17 said:

On another forum where I asked this question, someone suggested that I do a TSOP flash, which they said would help improve hard drive compatibility. I looked into it, and it seems doable, but I'm not sure if it'll be necessary for me. You guys seem knowledgeable (and more helpful), so I figured I'd ask here if it was necessary. 

I always flash the TSOP in the version 1.0 - 1.4 Xbox's and the version 1.6 I fit a modchip

I like the fact that the hard drive is always in the unlocked state as it makes for easy hard drive swapping between Xbox's.

36 minutes ago, BaconWizard17 said:

Is it possible to get new case screws for the Xbox (i.e. are they just a standard size)? I think one of them is starting to strip from all my taking it apart, and I want to replace it before it causes problems

If you are talking about the 6 screws in the bottom I don't think they are a standard size and I see people selling them on eBay sometimes. If you are in Australia I will post some to you.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes it is, If you have  a look in the store tab for a small donation you can bypass that and start downloading as well.

I always flash the TSOP in the version 1.0 - 1.4 Xbox's and the version 1.6 I fit a modchip

I like the fact that the hard drive is always in the unlocked state as it makes for easy hard drive swapping between Xbox's.

If you are talking about the 6 screws in the bottom I don't think they are a standard size and I see people selling them on eBay sometimes. If you are in Australia I will post some to you.

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into the donation thing.

I'll try to do the TSOP flash (I have a 1.1 Xbox). Do you think it'll improve my situation with the hard drive?

In terms of unlocking the drive, will that be a detriment to performance? Can I still lock the drive if I TSOP flash? I don't intend to do a bunch of hard drive switching

Yes, I did mean those screws. I'm in the US though. I'll see if I can find any, just to keep as extras

3 minutes ago, BaconWizard17 said:

I'll try to do the TSOP flash (I have a 1.1 Xbox). Do you think it'll improve my situation with the hard drive?

In terms of unlocking the drive, will that be a detriment to performance? Can I still lock the drive if I TSOP flash? I don't intend to do a bunch of hard drive switching

Yes, I did mean those screws. I'm in the US though. I'll see if I can find any, just to keep as extras

There is no loss in performance by having a unlocked hard drive and in my view it's safer as if the Xbox for some reason is not working you can swap the hard drive in to a new hard modded(TSOP Flashed/Modchiped) Xbox and it will work, Also from what I have read the new version of Xbox live will work 100% with a unlocked hard drive.

You can lock the hard drive but I can see no reason to lock it.

As for the screws there may be a member here that's closer that has some spare that can donate to you.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 minute ago, BaconWizard17 said:

Which install disk?

TruHeXEn 2020 ,SlaYer 2.7,AID 4.53 any of these will work 

You need to burn to a DVD-r as slow as slow as possible.

Cheers

SS Dave

To make sure I understand correctly, I need to do the correct soldering operation, and then I need to do the TSOP flash using TruHeXEn with the original hard drive still on my Xbox, right? And then after that, I can power down my Xbox, switch out the hard drives, and then turn it on with TruHeXEn in the disc drive, and configure the new hard drive with that? And if I do this, will my softmod and dashboard stay on the Xbox, or will I have to reinstall them as well?

Yes the Xbox needs to be softmodded then you solder. the 2 links on the board that will allow the TSOP chip to be flashed  

Then load the Install a install disk and navigate to the TSOP flash section and reflash the TSOP.

Once that is done you can now remove the stock drive and fit the new hard drive, You then load the install disk in the Xbox and reboot it

The install software will detect it is a new hard drive and prompt you what to do.

There is no need to clone or hot swap any thing.

Cheers

SS Dave

No once it's flash you can power it off.

and if you think you might want the old hard drive for something else you can unlock it using the same disk.

I normal just toss the stock drives in the metal recycle bin as they are good for nothing.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 6/20/2020 at 4:42 PM, BaconWizard17 said:

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into the donation thing.

Not a donation - a membership. 

Donations do not gain immediate download access or other perks of either level of paid membership.