OGXbox.com

Trouble Changing Dashboards

coyo5050

I have a 1.0 Xbox with an Xecuter 1.1 modchip installed. Used the Truhexen disk to install a brand new sata drive no issues. Trouble i am having is getting tge xbox to boot automatically to UnleashX. It only boots to the normal MS dash no matter what I select in Truhexen as my default dash. Have tried Slayer and AID clean installs choosing UnleashX but  also always boots to normal MS dash. What am I missing?

i did remove clock capacitor but i dont think that should matter

Edited by coyo5050

I think we need a pic of your C:\ and E:\ drive content. Use the HeXEn disc and you should be able make use of its file manager for that purpose or FTP access.

My first thought is that either the chip has a dual boot feature like the Aladdin ie. hold power button for a few seconds to enable the chip or that a softmod dash set up has been installed rather than for a chipped machine. That would put the main dash XBE on E:\ and so when the BIOS goes looking to boot the Xbox from the C:\ drive it uses the C:\xboxdash.xbe the only bootable XBE there.

This is my original xbox i gave to my bro forever ago and all he ever did was play tiger woods. My other xbox with the xecuter 3 is packed up somewhere for my move and i dont know where otherwise id use that.  So hard to find info on the old 1.1 version xecuter but it boots game backups and installer disks without having to hold power. 

i also have a 1.6 xbox someone gave me after a failed aladdin chip install but the traces on that MB are really messed up so thats out.

it is amazing all the knowledge that i have forgotten about this over the years.

691E8AA1-84A7-4015-9DD1-F0776E49056A.jpeg

64FACADE-957F-40F0-8634-CF730F6FA1C1.jpeg

I think the BIOS on that modchip (Xecuter 1.1) which is meant only for a v1.0 Xbox and cannot be upgraded (reflashed) has no BIOS boot order list like later modified BIOS versions have.  I believe the Xecuter 1.1 BIOS only starts xboxdash.xbe

Newer BIOSes have a boot order list that they would attempt to run evoxdash.xbe, nexgen.xbe then avalaunch.xbe (I'm not sure if all of these names are correct - especially the latter two - I've not double checked them).  If all of those files are not found on the hard drive, the stock MS dashboard, xboxdash.xbe, will be executed.

HeXEn install disc expects this type of boot up operation to switch the replacement dashboard.

For your Xecuter 1.1's BIOS, I think you need to rename the current xboxdash.xbe file to yboxdash.xbe (most any other name will do too) and change the name of the replacement dashboard, evoxdash.xbe, to xboxdash.xbe.

Refer to KaosEngineer's reply above - I'd never have even thought it might be something as prosaic as that. Using an ancient BIOS only looking for a C:\xboxdash.xbe neatly explains why the C:\evoxdash.xbe and E:\Dash locations are being ignored.

Simple renaming solution to get it working as well. Nice.

This is what I was going to post but has now mostly been overtaken by KE's far better knowledge of these sorts of matters. But the default HeXEn X2config.ini order might still be useful:-

Those pics look like the usual messy HeXEn install everything but the kitchen sink C:\ and E:\ drive content including an ind.bios.cfg on C:\ and a X2config.ini on E:\.

But the fact is there is a C:\evoxdash.xbe which you'd expect to be your main dash on a chipped machine. It should priority boot ahead of the C:\xboxdash.xbe when using almost any BIOS but apparently is not. Then there is that E:\Dash and E:\Dashboard stuff too.

I've just looked at the HeXEn ind-bios.cfg and X2config.ini and the evidence is that it can not be the ind-bios.cfg that is being used. That is set up by default to use a custom Ind-Bios Xbox Logo. So if the BIOS is the X2 one then this is what I assume is the boot priority of the HeXEn X2config.ini:-

dash1Name = c:evoxdash.xbe
dash2Name = e:Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
dash3Name = e:Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe
dash4Name = c:xbmc.xbe
dash5Name = c:xboxdash.xbe

Edited by HDShadow

Looked up the Xecuter 1 BIOS info.  It doesn't do much other than allow unsigned code to run.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031002221543/http://www.xbox-scene.com/bios10.php

It does not support any change of the boot file name - so it only starts xboxdash.xbe.  Rename the original MS dashboard to something other than xboxdash.xbe and rename the replacement dashboard to xboxdash.xbe.  

Any installer disc's change replacement dashboard operation is not going to work correctly with this ancient BIOS.

Bingo, it is all coming back to me know about this ancient modchip. As has been posted it just allows unsigned code to be run so just have to name / rename the dash you want to run by default. Ftp to the box renamed and now it works. 

Hexen install is a mess, stuff everywhere. Think i should start from scratch before i start copying games over. AID a better way to go?

My goals are to boot unleashX, rip my fav games to the hdd and maybe install some emulators.

Edited by coyo5050

15 minutes ago, coyo5050 said:

Hexen install is a mess, stuff everywhere. Think i should start from scratch before i start copying games over. AID a better way to go?

Yep that's Hexen for you and that's why I use SlaYer 2.7.

Apparently the TruHeXEn 2020 has fixed a lot of the crap the older hexen does.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, coyo5050 said:

Bingo, it is all coming back to me know about this ancient modchip. As has been posted it just allows unsigned code to be run so just have to name / rename the dash you want to run by default. Ftp to the box renamed and now it works. 

My goals are to boot unleashX, rip my fav games to the hdd and maybe install some emulators.

If your on a modchip or tsop and not happy with the dashboard headings and layout you can have a go at editing the config.xml.

Just make a copy of your current one and call it something like configorg.xml before you start editing your new one.
If it goes really wrong just load a install disk and use file explorer to use the original by deleting the bad one and renaming configorg.xml back to config.xml.

You can do it on a softmod but if things go wrong it might be harder to sort if you delete something you didn’t mean to.

Edited by Ging3rguy

This xbox has been a pain. Thought i had everything sorted ftp’d a game to the new hdd I installed, loaded up unleashx and played game fine. Sent about 20 more games over. Turned on xbox to do more transfer and frag. Disconnected D0 wire boots fine so reflow solder on modchip reconnect DO and boots up unleashx like previous.

F: drive size says 0, file manager shows nothing there. Boot Hexen disc and drive shows like 600gb free and file manager shows all my games. Reboot unleashx and F: drive says 0. What gives?

6 hours ago, coyo5050 said:

This xbox has been a pain. Thought i had everything sorted ftp’d a game to the new hdd I installed, loaded up unleashx and played game fine. Sent about 20 more games over. Turned on xbox to do more transfer and frag. Disconnected D0 wire boots fine so reflow solder on modchip reconnect DO and boots up unleashx like previous.

F: drive size says 0, file manager shows nothing there. Boot Hexen disc and drive shows like 600gb free and file manager shows all my games. Reboot unleashx and F: drive says 0. What gives?

It's the BIOS that the Xecuter 1 has.  It does not support LBA48 and larger cluster allocations.  You will be limited to a maximum of 137GB and 16KB clusters.

When Hexen boots, it loads a different BIOS into memory that does have LBA48 support so you see all the space and files you uploaded. But once you reboot, the hard drive access is once again limited to the original LBA28 137GBs accessible by the ancient Xecuter 1 BIOS.

Update: The Xecuter1 BIOS doesn't know how to interpret the data stored at the location of the extended partition 6 that's using LBA48 access and larger cluster allocations.  The directory is stored in a foreign language to it  Therefore, since it does not recognize the F partition/drive's format, it shows 0 free space or the size of 0.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Try flashing the bios to something that ends in .67. If that doesn’t sort it check the hdd partitions have the correct size clusters.

Do you have an 80 wire ide cable?

The Xecuter 1 modchip that he has installed cannot be reflashed (at least by normal methods of using Evoxdash Xbox.  And, IIRC, the BIOS is scrambled iin the flash chip and is descrambled by the CPLD device on the modchip when it is loaded across the LPC bus on boot up.

There is a program to scramble a BIOS for the Xecuter 1 but I'm not sure how you go about writing it to the flash chiip without an external programming device.

Best solution would be to copy via FTP to the E drive all of the Xbox Softmodding Tool saves, uninstall the xecuter 1 modchip from the motherboard, softmod the console using one of the 4 exploitable original game discs then flashing the TSOP on the motherboard with one of the latest BIOS versions:

• Evo-X M8plus F and G (.67)
  • iND-BiOS 5003.67
  • iND-BiOS Beta Feb-11-05 (aka 5004.67)
  • X2 5035

So the one game was fine but once i went over the 137gb things went haywire? So kinda tricked me in to thinking it was working.

I have an Aladdin chip I will just swap that in instead. Kinda liked the idea of using the og xbox with an og chip but seems not worth the effort.

Edited by coyo5050