OGXbox.com

XBox Not Booting and Making Weird Sound (Video Attached)

cursed92

Hi everyone

I've found that one of my old xbox is not working anymore when i try to boot it is making a weird sound and goes off, anyone know what could be the problem? maybe a power supply issue?

The xbox should be a 1.1 with softmod not sure as was in a box for years

I leave a video attached of the problem

Thanks

xbox_mpeg4_mpeg4.avi

Edited by cursed92

Fragging (LED green, off, green, off then red/green) - unfortunately a typical sign of some general hardware failure. Can be a chip if fitted or any component on the MB has failed.

Old, leaking capacitors are often cited as a cause so check for those particularly the group of three or five near the heat-sinks. The small one near the edge of the MB in front of the clock cap (or where the clock cap was located) is sometimes said to be involved.

But it could be damaged traces elsewhere or the HDD is faulty.

That sound is not normal - its like a young child's squeezy toy and if you can identify that it is definitely coming from the HDD then that, obviously, becomes the primary suspect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cursed92 said:

Hi everyone

I've found that one of my old xbox is not working anymore when i try to boot it is making a weird sound and goes off, anyone know what could be the problem? maybe a power supply issue?

Thanks

xbox_mpeg4_mpeg4.avi 1.58 MB · 11 downloads

I think the psu is fine, check the caps around the heatsinks for bulging also try disconnecting the hdd and see if it still makes the same noise.

7 hours ago, cursed92 said:

Hi everyone

Thanks

xbox_mpeg4_mpeg4.avi 1.58 MB · 16 downloads

Is this Zaza from facebook.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, cursed92 said:

no i dont think so as it was barely softmodded before doing this is still a stock hdd , but i should have the eeprom files somewhere on my hdd

You’re going to need an eeprom reader, you can use a Arduino micro copy to do this, it is cheap and easy to setup.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/ArduinoProm

Edited by Ging3rguy

The way I would tackle this one would be fit a modchip temporary and the lock a stock drive I keep for situations like this to the main board, The modchip I use has Xblast that will lock and unlock hard drives.

While I am fitting the modchip I also add the 2 links to enable the TSOP flashing.

I then remove the modchip and boot to the stock xbox drive so I can flash the TSOP using a game save that has the raincoat BIOS flashing program. You could also use a hard drive that has a softmod on it as well.

Then unlock the stock hard drive ready for the next one.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The way I would tackle this one would be fit a modchip temporary and the lock a stock drive I keep for situations like this to the main board, The modchip I use has Xblast that will lock and unlock hard drives.

While I am fitting the modchip I also add the 2 links to enable the TSOP flashing.

I then remove the modchip and boot to the stock xbox drive so I can flash the TSOP using a game save that has the raincoat BIOS flashing program. You could also use a hard drive that has a softmod on it as well.

Then unlock the stock hard drive ready for the next one.

Cheers

SS Dave

I've got a stock hdd with softmod from another xbox could i use this?

Or i need a chip?

My only intent would be to add a bigger hdd and tsop

Edited by cursed92

As long as it is currently unlocked and you still need a way of locking it to the unmodded Xbox thats where the Xblast on a modchip comes in.

If the other drive is unlocked and you can get access to the hard drive key form the non working Xbox it is possible to relock it the that Xbox using a PC.

It is much simpler to fit a modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

As long as it is currently unlocked and you still need a way of locking it to the unmodded Xbox thats where the Xblast on a modchip comes in.

If the other drive is unlocked and you can get access to the hard drive key form the non working Xbox it is possible to relock it the that Xbox using a PC.

It is much simpler to fit a modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

any website where i could purchase an aladin chip? any particular version need it for a 1.1 xbox?

Look on Ebay for a xbox decoding chip or a direct reading modchip the one that popped up for me was $21 aud.

Or on aliexpress

The XeniumICE was also listed for $60 aud

Cheers

SS Dave

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Look on Ebay for a xbox decoding chip or a direct reading modchip the one that popped up for me was $21 aud.

Or on aliexpress

The XeniumICE was also listed for $60 aud

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi guys

This will do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Reading-Mod-Decoding-Chip-Replaces-Fit-For-XBOX-Aladdin-XT-PLUS2-Portable/313108595065?hash=item48e6ba0179:g:N8YAAOSwmkFe11kT

or what's the difference between the openxenium, xeniumICE and aladin?

sorry for me being dumb xD

thanks

Edited by cursed92

Yes that will do. A xenium Ice is the original and has 4 banks of 256kb, so you could have 1 x 1mb bios or 2 x 512kb or 1 x 512kb + 2 x 256kb or 4 x 256kb. The openxenium is this https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium. An Aladdin has 1 x 256kb bios but it will get the job done.

As your Xbox is a 1.1 you could tsop and have a 1mb bios, you just need to sort your hdd out 1st.

10 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Yes that will do. A xenium Ice is the original and has 4 banks of 256kb, so you could have 1 x 1mb bios or 2 x 512kb or 1 x 512kb + 2 x 256kb or 4 x 256kb. The openxenium is this https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium. An Aladdin has 1 x 256kb bios but it will get the job done.

As your Xbox is a 1.1 you could tsop and have a 1mb bios, you just need to sort your hdd out 1st.

I've just open it for cleaning some spillage from the capacitor and i've made the tsop connection too so as soon i can fix the hdd ill be able to do everything

i've purchase an aladin is the only chip i can find shipping from uk everything else would be canada or china and it will take weeks before arriving, i should have the aladin in 3/4 days

now looking for a good tutorial on how to mount is but pretty sure its quite easy

1 hour ago, cursed92 said:

i've purchase an aladin is the only chip i can find shipping from uk everything else would be canada or china and it will take weeks before arriving, i should have the aladin in 3/4 days

now looking for a good tutorial on how to mount is but pretty sure its quite easy

https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Attachment/72198-Aladdin-XT-installation-Guide-pdf/
Have you done much soldering?

37 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

yes im quitew good with soldering and as mine is a 1.1 is litteraly 5 min dont even need to restore lpc

my question is after i've installed the mod what should i do exactly, ive got a copy of hexen 2020 just burn it yesterday thats should be enough to recreate the hdd?

Also it is possible that the hdd is not locket? it would give the problem i get? as last time i think i was trying to use chimp to replace hdd and im not sure ive locked after it xD...

Damnnnn hopefully the chip will fix everything

Edited by cursed92

Just connect up your replacement hdd and insert the hexen dvd and turn on your Xbox. You will get a message asking if you want to format your hdd just follow the instructions.

If you are planning to flash the tsop you will need to softmod the hdd and lock the hdd. Then remove the hdd and use hexen to do the tsop and put the hard mod files on the hdd.

You can then have the tsop and Aladdin if you want 2 bios.

9 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Just connect up your replacement hdd and insert the hexen dvd and turn on your Xbox. You will get a message asking if you want to format your hdd just follow the instructions.

If you are planning to flash the tsop you will need to softmod the hdd and lock the hdd. Then remove the hdd and use hexen to do the tsop and put the hard mod files on the hdd.

You can then have the tsop and Aladdin if you want 2 bios.

thats probably what im gonna do as i want to remove the chip so that i can re-use it on other xbox

also on the aladin chip if i dont connect the bt pin with the other one it will always boot trought the chip right?

Edited by cursed92

44 minutes ago, cursed92 said:

thats probably what im gonna do as i want to remove the chip so that i can re-use it on other xbox

also on the aladin chip if i dont connect the bt pin with the other one it will always boot trought the chip right?

On the Aladdin chips I link the BT to pin 2(ground) as this tells the chip to be always active, I also link the D0 from the board to ground and not to the chip.

47846571_aladdinbtlink.jpg.c12d16db2b5a670a9eded6b59e5a0f35.jpg

I recommend using the D0 point that's on the bottom of the board as it is a bigger spot to solder to

1420258271_Btpoints.PNG.07730d9790beb1a79550690c51242720.PNG

As you are thinking of removing the chip later run the D0 wire to the top of the board and solder to a ground on the top then when you remove the chip you can unsolder and insulate the wire without removing the board.

also buy some more pin headers that way you can unplug the chip and not risk damage  unsoldering the pin header.

Cheers

SS Dave