OGXbox.com

Considering Adding an Hdmi Port To Back of Console

RicoPicoUK

I have recently discovered the stuff you can do with a wii2hdmi adapter, where you can chuck an xbox video connector to the back of it, and have the xbox og output over HDMI. I have just completed this mod, and found it simple enough. The xbox connector itself is however a bit fidly.

I think there would be enough room under the DVD drive to mount a board and get hdmi output directly out of the back of the console, which would be alot cleaner in style and easier to use (without having a huge dongle sticking out of the back of the console). 

Now in order to get video signals, I figured I would just solder to the bottom of the motherboard where the video output connector is connected. I havnt had much play with this connector yet, and had planned to attempt to map it out to the connector., Does anyone have this already, which would make my life a little easier.

I am also mindful of the fact that the wires inside the Faraday cage of the xbox would be liable to interference, it is part of my plan to perhaps use cat6 or similar shielded cable between the connections. 

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

There is several PCB designs floating around the interweb that allow you to mount the wii2hdmi inplace of the AV port connector. 

Like this.

IMG_20200612_071530.thumb.jpg.c541f413ddc4fb1d04032f56df4982bc.jpg

Then there is one from a member here N64 Freak and in my view it's a much better kit.

IMG_20200612_071737.thumb.jpg.61e560f91293976158be24864537bc41.jpg

The wii2hdmi is cheap and there are some versions of adaptor that don't work properly and it is hit and miss if you get a good board compared to the N64 freak's version that works 100%

The other thing is the wii2hdmi uses the left/right audio to inject to the HDMI and the N64 freak's takes the digital audio.

I will warn you that any program that can not work with a  component signal (Chimp is one) will not work and to get the best picture you need to set your Xbox to NTSC and enable 480,720 outputs.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The link above uses some kit to install the board, I dont have that and have no thoughts of seaking one. Instead, I plan to solder directly to the connector on the base of the motherboard. I have found this, which I will use for a guide and simply connect the same wires that would normally be connected to the connector itself.

I used Chimp with the hdmi connector, it defaulted to 480p which is fine. Its the image quality that I enjoy over the resolution (for this cost). 

original-xbox-vga-wiring-diagram-manual-of-wiring-diagram.png

2 hours ago, RicoPicoUK said:

The link above uses some kit to install the board, I dont have that and have no thoughts of seaking one. Instead, I plan to solder directly to the connector on the base of the motherboard. I have found this, which I will use for a guide and simply connect the same wires that would normally be connected to the connector itself.

I used Chimp with the hdmi connector, it defaulted to 480p which is fine. Its the image quality that I enjoy over the resolution (for this cost). 

original-xbox-vga-wiring-diagram-manual-of-wiring-diagram.png

Using this diagram you could wire something like this

71wmaQdKeBL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.7fad948add9ac6c86d2007823fa02752.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

This was made for a friend and because the Xbox was sometimes connected to a tv that had no hdmi and composite only and the other tv it was used on had HDMI only,

I set it up so you could plug in a standard AV lead or use the HDMI.

Because the converter I had on hand was component in and HDMI out I added some auto switching between composite to component.

IMG_20191117_203011.thumb.jpg.4f5e3f9abb3da99d95b62e538e8d1b3f.jpg  1726823293_version1.6switch.thumb.jpg.ca8632e07aa2a424141b9372213ff774.jpg

I soldered the Video and Audio on the top side of the board.

This is  a version 1.1 board

1225373028_Version1.1.jpg.f9d52fc4d02f25fd55ad07038c5874b5.jpg 

and the ground was soldered to the metal casing of the AV port.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 2:34 PM, SS_Dave said:

This will give you a idea on fitting a wii2hdmi to your Xbox..

821987935_XboxWii2HDMI1.thumb.jpg.cc1477a6ca978a60464672d0f5855137.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Are these kits sold anywhere online?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, mrmr said:

Are these kits sold anywhere online?  Thanks in advance.

No you can get the boards made in china it cost me about $40 aud for 5 sets of boards and the wii2hdmi I get from Ebay for about $8.5 aud each.

Cheers

SS Dave

any fiddlyness you get is likely not the cables but a connection issue with the wiihdmi and your tv/head unit..i have the same issue with the same unit ON my wii and found it to require a specific "boot order"  to work 100% of the time

WHERE do i go about getting that n64 unit..looks slick, honestly idealy id take the n64 setup and then do the switching setup dave did so you have BOTH outputs....as in..clue me in so i can do it!!!! i was chewing on hdmi ideas today while working only to stumble into this post...what are the odds?

The N64 is the better one but also not cheap at around 70 euro each compared to around 50 odd euro for 5 of the wii2hdmi kits.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/forum/30-n64-freaks-products/

Both are made to replace the AV port on the main board.

The one I did with the auto switch was using a external component to HDMI that I pulled the board out of and hard wired in side the Xbox

Cheers

SS Dave

• 3 weeks later...

i recently picked up a "pound link"....seemed like a good idea, at a good price, but ive failed to get it to work ...and not for a lack of trying.....however ive found reference notes on their web site about 1.0 or 1.1 having issues....so thanx to amazon ill be sending it back for a replacement to try again, after that its going back

with the wii unit ive had alot of issues with them on my modded wii's enough to be a bit shy of using one on the X...so im starting to look at n64's unit  as the ONLY viable option

The pound HDMI also has problems with the 1.4.

I have tested the one I have on 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4 1.6 and all were crap

The most notable problem was the screen flickering/dropping out

And I did try a full recap on the 1.4 with no difference.

Also modified or not made no difference.

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, sh0rtlife said:

i recently picked up a "pound link"....seemed like a good idea, at a good price, but ive failed to get it to work ...and not for a lack of trying.....however ive found reference notes on their web site about 1.0 or 1.1 having issues....so thanx to amazon ill be sending it back for a replacement to try again, after that its going back

with the wii unit ive had alot of issues with them on my modded wii's enough to be a bit shy of using one on the X...so im starting to look at n64's unit  as the ONLY viable option

I have a pound adapter but it only has issues with 1 of my 1.4 boards, I didn’t try it with separate 5v supply though. I think I just got lucky from the amount of bad posts about them and the companies own you tube post!