OGXbox.com

Help With Sticking Trays On Samsung Dvd

bulkchart32

• 4 months later...

Put your beltin some hot/boiling water for 2-3 minutes and see if that fix your problem. If so, get some a belt for it. If it dosn't fix it a new belt will also not fix your problem. Clean up the entire drive and put some fresh silcon gease on the rails (not to much, less is more).

Had a dirty HL drive which i fixed that way. Simply to much dirt and belt which isn't the best anymore. But for now it works again.

PS. The boilding water "trick" is just to if it works, it's not a long term fix. ;)

11 hours ago, ScorpionX said:

I just cleaned my belt and no bueno , she sticks.

I was planning on ordering a belt and crossing that off the list of problems.

Are you saying that may not work either , that's just great.

i found that a regular rubber band works well. get one that is slightly tighter than the oem but not super tight. be certain to remove the pulley the belt turns and lubricate it's spindle with plastic safe silicon grease since the extra tension will cause some extra friction.

The drive belt is the likely cause of your issue. It operates the drive mechanism that causes the sled to move up and down and the tray to eject. If the belt is too loose (from being too old), it can't grip the pulley enough to drive the whole mechanism.

Clean the belt. Clean the tray. Lubricate the tray (if possible). If that doesn't help, replace the belt.

I've had mixed results with putting belts in boiling water. Replacing it is a more permanent fix.

The problem with replacements is that they are variable in grip, often because they've obviously been made of a more flexible or softer rubber/rubber substitute.

The belts sold as Samsung XB360 disc drive replacements are usually good.

The original belt, inside diameter, is 22mm as accurately as I can measure it. I'm certain of that that because they have to be stretched a minute amount to fit an old (now removed for circulation) UK £1 round coin. Those are/were 22.5mm in diameter.

You definite don't want to go too tight as others have said. I tried an 18mm diameter drive belt and because it was too light it actually slipped on the drive pulleys causing the same eject problem as if it had been too loose.

20 hours ago, GoTeamScotch said:

I've had mixed results with putting belts in boiling water. Replacing it is a more permanent fix.

It's good enough for testing. And ofc you're right, it isn't a perma permanen fix but for a quick test it's ok. If he sees that the drive open's and closes 2-3 times he can get a new belt. And he should also clean the rest of the mecanism and grease it a tiny bit.

• 1 month later...

Its the magnet on the DVD rom cover that is strong and over years of spinning it gets more stronger and stronger. Take off the cover of the DVD ROM, Flip it. You will see the round magnet ring. Buy some aluminum tape that's used to tape Aluminum Pipes. Cut out similar round pieces  and stick about 2-3 layers of circular tape pieces you have cut out. Assemble DVD rom and check Out. If still problems persists add another few. That will demagnetize the magnet and it will start releasing the tray easily. 

40 minutes ago, Raja said:

Its the magnet on the DVD rom cover that is strong and over years of spinning it gets more stronger and stronger. Take off the cover of the DVD ROM, Flip it. You will see the round magnet ring. Buy some aluminum tape that's used to tape Aluminum Pipes. Cut out similar round pieces  and stick about 2-3 layers of circular tape pieces you have cut out. Assemble DVD rom and check Out. If still problems persists add another few. That will demagnetize the magnet and it will start releasing the tray easily. 

It has nothing with the magnet been to strong and if anything it would lose its strength over time not gain strength.

If it's not ejecting the tray then the tray load belt is slipping or it's full of dust.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

It has nothing with the magnet been to strong and if anything it would lose its strength over time not gain strength.

If it's not ejecting the tray then the tray load belt is slipping or it's full of dust.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I know Dave you don’t agree, but the magnets on these Sammy drives are so strong that the motor for ejecting the tray assembly has a hard time it self.  It’s the magnet that wears out the belts and they become slippery. I have fixed a few Samsung’s with this method in the past where replacing or cleaning the drive belt did not work.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

I know Dave you don’t agree, but the magnets on these Sammy drives are so strong that the motor for ejecting the tray assembly has a hard time it self.  It’s the magnet that wears out the belts and they become slippery. I have fixed a few Samsung’s with this method in the past where replacing or cleaning the drive belt did not work.

i don't know if what u say is true or not but wouldn't it be easier just to remove the main pulley and lube it with grease and then put a tighter rubber band on it?

1 hour ago, bulkchart32 said:

i don't know if what u say is true or not but wouldn't it be easier just to remove the main pulley and lube it with grease and then put a tighter rubber band on it?

Yes it will work as you suggest. But the culprit is the Magnet disc that is under the cover which locks the DVD disk between  the laser assembly. The Motor and the belt you are talking about its only purpose is to break that magnetic contact to release the DVD Tray. Samsung used to strong magnets for these drives.