OGXbox.com

Need Some Advice On Modding a 1.0

bulkchart32

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Not that I am aware of I would suggest you look at the XBMC4Gamers it's on the 2020 hexen and for emulators look at the coinops or ninja massive (approx 80 gig).

As you are using a 2tb hard drive you will need to reflash the BIOS The IND5003.67 what I would put in the Aladdin.

iND-BiOS.5003.67.bin 256 kB · 0 downloads

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

how do i flash it? and are u talking about reflashing the modchip itself?

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Not that I am aware of I would suggest you look at the XBMC4Gamers it's on the 2020 hexen and for emulators look at the coinops or ninja massive (approx 80 gig).

As you are using a 2tb hard drive you will need to reflash the BIOS The IND5003.67 what I would put in the Aladdin.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

will it take a bigger hdd than 2tb?

10 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

there is not hdd big enough for it? am i not able to resize the partition with a pc?

There are no tools to resize an Xbox partition once it has been created.  The BIOS has fixed sizes and locations for the C, E, X, Y and Z partitions used on the Xbox - the kernel - and possibly applications (games) expect them to be there.  Making changes to the basic partitions is not guaranteed to work!

• Configuration area - No drive letter assigned (hidden) - Size: 512 KB - Starting Sector Offset: 0
  • Cache 1 - X drive - 750 MBs - 1,024
  • Cache 2 - Y drive - 750 MBs - 1,537,024‬
  • Cache 3 - Z drive - 750 MBs - 3,073,024
  • System Files (MS Dashboard) - C drive - 500 MBs - 4,609,024
  • Data: Game Saves, Soundtrack files, DLC - E drive - 4,895 MBs - ‭5,633,024‬

F starts right after the last sector of E, and G starts after the last sector of F.  

Max usable HDD space is ~2.2TB (‭‭‭2,199,023,255,040‬‬ bytes) ‭.   Limitation of the size of the counters fixed in the Xbox's BIOS/Kernel.

Before the LBA48 patches were added to modify the Xbox's BIOS, the maximum hard drive size was limited to 137GBs - LBA28.

The LBA48 patches are more like LBA32 since the counters used to hold the cluster address are limited to 32-bits, not 48.

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

how do i flash the bios?

1 minute ago, bulkchart32 said:

how do i flash the bios?

I use Xblast  to flash 90% of time

FTP the BIOS.bin to the Xbox C:\bios folder.

Or you can have you Xbox connected to the home network and flash via net option.

Copy this file to your Xbox C drive and then run from the file manager.

XBlast OS.xbe

It is also good for setting the Video settings, Fan speed,

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

I use Xblast  to flash 90% of time

FTP the BIOS.bin to the Xbox C:\bios folder.

Or you can have you Xbox connected to the home network and flash via net option.

Copy this file to your Xbox C drive and then run from the file manager.

XBlast OS.xbe 255.73 kB · 0 downloads

It is also good for setting the Video settings, Fan speed,

Cheers

SS Dave

so i'll be able to get the xbox up and running with it's new drive before i install this bios?

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

You need to Flash the BIOS 1st then fit the new hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

so the old hdd is going to need to be erased then? i have a sata 500gb hdd laying around here somewhere. will i be able to use it to flash the chip since it is small or do i need the original xbox hard drive to do the flashing?

2 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

so the old hdd is going to need to be erased then? i have a sata 500gb hdd laying around here somewhere. will i be able to use it to flash the chip since it is small or do i need the original xbox hard drive to do the flashing?

You don't have to erase the old hard drive.

First, softmod the console with the original drive then clone it to a new larger HDD using Chimp 261812.

6 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

If you are using a modchip you can install it and then use an install disk to put the files you need onto the original hdd. You can also just connect up the new hdd and the install disk will build the hdd partitions and load the files. You can also use the install disk to flash the modchip.

If you are doing a TSOP you will need to softmod so you can use the install disk 1st, you can then flash the tsop bios. Then using the install disk remove the softmod files and install the hard mod files or just drop in your new hdd and use the install disk as above.

Edited by Ging3rguy

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I believe the version 1.1 we are talking about is already softmodded ?

Cheers

SS Dave

no, it isn't soft modded. it's a 1.0 btw. i'm probably gonna replace the gpu heatsink so i don't have to listen to that loud gpu fan. just a fyi there, lol.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:03 AM, bulkchart32 said:

is there no way to get all games on a single hdd with all updates and dlc?

As Dave mentioned, a 2TB drive should come damn close to holding everything and more. I used the Xbox Origins image that is circulating and it has about 760 original xbox games and thousands of games from all of the different consoles and arcade games. It holds all this with several gigs of space to spare.

On 6/17/2020 at 3:49 AM, Ging3rguy said:

If you are using a modchip you can install it and then use an install disk to put the files you need onto the original hdd. You can also just connect up the new hdd and the install disk will build the hdd partitions and load the files. You can also use the install disk to flash the modchip.

If you are doing a TSOP you will need to softmod so you can use the install disk 1st, you can then flash the tsop bios. Then using the install disk remove the softmod files and install the hard mod files or just drop in your new hdd and use the install disk as above.

To expand on this, there is a way around needing to softmod the console first. I didn't have access to any of the exploitable games, so I used the hotswap method and the most recent beta of FatXplorer to allow me to copy the needed files to the Xbox HDD. Basically, because I didn't have any of the games needed to softmod, I used the console to unlock the drive, then switched the IDE cable to my PC without removing power to the drive. You just need to make sure the PC you use is powered off when you swap the IDE or it will cause the PC to crash and reboot. Not the most desirable way to do it, but will work.

Edited by VCoupe376ci

On 6/17/2020 at 5:34 AM, SS_Dave said:

You mention a aladdin chip is that for this Xbox?

Cheers

SS Dave

yes. i originally bought it for another xbox but that xbox didn't work. so i'm gonna install it on this one.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, VCoupe376ci said:

To expand on this, there is a way around needing to softmod the console first. I didn't have access to any of the exploitable games, so I used the hotswap method and the most recent beta of FatXplorer to allow me to copy the needed files to the Xbox HDD. Basically, because I didn't have any of the games needed to softmod, I used the console to unlock the drive, then switched the IDE cable to my PC without removing power to the drive. You just need to make sure the PC you use is powered off when you swap the IDE or it will cause the PC to crash and reboot. Not the most desirable way to do it, but will work.

If you use a usb to connect your drive to your pc just disconnect that rather than having to turn off your pc.

On 6/18/2020 at 4:34 AM, VCoupe376ci said:

As Dave mentioned, a 2TB drive should come damn close to holding everything and more. I used the Xbox Origins image that is circulating and it has about 760 original xbox games and thousands of games from all of the different consoles and arcade games. It holds all this with several gigs of space to spare.

i'd never heard of the xbox origins download before. how is it installed?

I have 2 1.0 systems so this caught my attention. I figured I either needed X2 5035 or the iND 5003.67 to use a 2 TB drive (currently I can't even see drive G on my 250 GB drive). Unfortunately I already shot my 5035 chance on one of them because, hey, it''s only 2 points, I shouldn't need to dig around looking for my flux paste just for that (big mistake -- top one went fine, but I pulled a trace on the bottom, argh). Grabbing a 9-volt (and my old Pentium III) to re-flash the Matrix with iND 5003.67 and pop it back in (I was hoping to eliminate the need for that thing, because it seems like I always have to open the case to adjust it every time I relocate the system).

The other one was previously modded with an early chip (which I've already removed), but the TSOP points seem to still be in good shape (so maybe there's hope for an X2 5035 install yet). However, I'm going to have to find a replacement CPU (or is it GPU?) fan just to know if it's still functional (it won't stay on because the current one is failing). Does Noctua make one that will work for the v1.0?

I wasn't sure about upgrading both, but, if drive E not having space for all the DLC is an issue...

I also was unaware of this Xbox Origins set. I was planning to use that Xbox HDD set that's about 1.5 TB in size. Which one is more complete (in terms of original games that is,  I have a MiSTer, ODEs, flash carts, etc. -- the only emulator I want on there at this point is MAME, and hopefully MiSTer's successor can kill the need for that in a few years).

Edited by GuiltySpark77

This might help you with the damaged trace.

xri3FWa.jpg.8f270f0a0b738177c9d3ca789cc5538f.jpg

The GPU is the one with a fan on top and it would be better to replace the heatsink with one from a 1.1-1.6 GPU and scrap the fan.

Cheers

SS Dave

29 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

This might help you with the damaged trace.

xri3FWa.jpg.8f270f0a0b738177c9d3ca789cc5538f.jpg

The GPU is the one with a fan on top and it would be better to replace the heatsink with one from a 1.1-1.6 GPU and scrap the fan.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks. The initial yellow point is the one. Looks like there's still hope. I think I'll pick up some fresh flux paste and a new iron before I try it, though.

I was thinking just replacing the heatsink with the fanless one would be ideal, but, it doesn't start at all with the fan disconnected. Do I need to replace the stock BIOS to kill an existing fan check or something?

Edited by GuiltySpark77
  • Confused 1

The Xbox should still boot without the fans connected and I do it all the time while doing ram upgrades, from cold it should run for at least 60 seconds before the heat sinks are getting hot to touch...

There is a fan speed setting in the BIOS that con not be set 0% so the fan should be running while ever the Xbox is on..

Cheers

SS Dave