OGXbox.com

Hard Drive Is Dying

Liona

Hi folks,

Am a very newbie lol , I bought an original Xbox soft modded (0.38.0515A Build 565) .

Worked fine for few days, but now 95% of the time when i boot it up I can hear the click of death... CLICK CLIcK ... the Hard drive is dying and it stays in the boot screen.
Every-time i try to read/write from the hard drive (FTP) it starts clicking and I can't do anything and sometimes a screen with error 09 appears.
I learned from searching on google ,that I need a HDD key to replace the hard drive before it dies completely , so I managed to copy
it from the UnleachX info screen ( HDD key + Serial number ). Is it possible to replace the hard drive ? Is there any hope ?
PS: I do not have any soldering tools/skills and sorry for my English.

Thank you in advance

IMG_20200609_180801.jpg

Edited by Liona

Easier to get the eeprom.bin backup you need by running the Evolution-X (Evox) dashboard.  

FTP it to a subfolder in your console's Apps folder.  I have no idea where it may be as different people install it to different locations (e.g., E:\Apps\, E:\Applications\, F:\Apps, F:\Applications, or on the G drive).  Create an Evox subfolder there and upload the files for Evoxdash +3935.  Run it from your default dashboards applications menu and use Evox's Backup menu option.  The backup files will be stored in a subfolder where you installed the Evox dashboard. You are looking for the file eeprom.bin.  With this file you can create a new locked hard drive with XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3.

More information after you have the eeprom.bin backup file stored on your PC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Easier to get the eeprom.bin backup you need by running the Evolution-X (Evox) dashboard.  

FTP it to a subfolder in your console's Apps folder.  I have no idea where it may be as different people install it to different locations (e.g., E:\Apps\, E:\Applications\, F:\Apps, F:\Applications, or on the G drive).  Create an Evox subfolder there and upload the files for Evoxdash +3935.  Run it from your default dashboards applications menu and use Evox's Backup menu option.  The backup files will be stored in a subfolder where you installed the Evox dashboard. You are looking for the file eeprom.bin.  With this file you can create a new locked hard drive with XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3.

You rock ... after countless attempts I got the folder on my PC ( I just used FTP with filezilla tried multiple times until it worked)
https://ibb.co/hgbCPxc

Edited by Liona

UPDATE 2: Huge Thanks to bomb447 from reddit :

• I salvaged the eeprom.bin from the HDD using filezilla (after multiple attempts, the file is 1kb so it's easy to retrieve even with a failing hard-rive at least in my case)
  • Bought a new IDE HDD and USB to IDE adapter
  • Plugged the HDD to my computer
  • Followed the Tech Hoarder part 17 video ( easy and straight forward tutorial  just two files to download )
  • My XBOX work like charm. Thank you
Edited by Liona

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2020 at 2:29 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Excuse me what now?

Do you have a USB-to-HDD Interface adapter and SATA hard drive so you can use XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 to build a new locked hard drive for the Xbox?  

When installing an IDE-to-SATA adapter/SATA HDD combo in the Xbox, you'll also need an 80-wire 40-pin, 24" preferred length, high-speed IDE cable.