OGXbox.com

Fix Games Running Too Fast On Cpu Upgraded XBox [ 1ghz , 1.4ghz ]

neighbor

Underclocked 1ghz Xbox to 735mhz by patching the bios to 107mhz FSB (using XBoverclock by WulfyStylez).
It fixed GTA Vice City and Rallisport 2, which XBEpatcher (by mwaterbu) did not manage to fix. Not sure if works for all games, but seems like it should.
This probably could be loaded by Phoenix Bios Loader or can be on a modchip bank, waiting to be selected when needed.

I did't try to patch them with XBEpatcher, but I can confirm this works with the described setup. Didn't notice any improvements in FPS, probably GPU overclock would make a difference, you can try this on your Xbox by patching the bios with XBoverclock.

I didnt test HL2 with an overclocked GPU/CPU, but I'm pretty sure GPU overclock does some improvements. Played with Halo in 720p (hex patched), and GPU clocked at 310mhz showed some improvements in FPS. You can try this by yourself, it's not complicated.

Edited by neighbor

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, xicat487 said:

I made the BIOS at the listed FSB but XBMC still registers it as 1.4 ghz. Any thoughts would be helpful. What CPU speed switch setting is needed on or off.

my thoughts are, you didnt write the bios to the TSOP/Modchip, or speed detection is somehow different on a SL5XL 1.4ghz CPU (less likely). Check if GTA or Rallisport 2 games are running slower. The switch should be deactivated - meaning the CPU is at fullspeed. And your 1.4gh should work on even lower FSB speed to achieve that 730-740mhz speed. FSB in your case must be around 70mhz. Not sure if the console will boot, but try and please let me know the results.

Edited by neighbor

98 FSB Is the lower limit to have video output and POST the system. The best results I have achieved so far is 133 FSB with a GPU clock 150 with the switch in the 733mhz mode. Do you know the FSB output of the 733mhz setting. My guess is 100 FSB but that puts it at 1050mhz. RSC2 speeds have slows but audio is of sync and stops at times. Toggling the switch with these setting in the opening movies does have an effect. Guessing in the dark , I'm concerned about constant flash cycles to my chip. The switch offset is key information as a combination of FSB and GPU speed changes, I believe is needed to achieve this goal.

Another thought is the system ram can not run at FSB speeds below 98.  

@xicat487

just tested fsb 70 on my 1ghz Xbox, it did boot, and I even played Halo 1 and 2 at 530mhz CPU speed. Are you sure the bios you tried had only FSB modified? I mean, you wrote something about gpu underclock to 150mhz, which I don't get why you changed that.

Edited by neighbor

I am sure I can not lower my FSB below 98. The system boots but it has no video output. I started paying around with the GPU to induce some lag and attempt to let the 98 FSB 1GHZ clock speed take up some of the slack of the loss of speed. Sadly with a  CPU link speed of 10.5 I no longer believe it possible reach  733 MHz. Maybe I am doing something incorrect with xboverclock. For testing can you send me that working 70 FSB BIOS of any size or type.