OGXbox.com

Help With Dual Boot Softmod

madmon

I know you can do that with a modchip like Open Xenium,Xenium ICE,X3,X2.6,Xblast lite and proberly some other chips but I am not aware of a dual booting softmod

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

SID/AID have dual boot options and unless he removed it recently Rocky5's XBSMT included a dual boot install facility, I think on the Extras disc.

Problem with SID/AID is that you're limited to only two dual boot options: main dash/installer dash and main dash/MS dash.

It may be possible to edit the dual boot SID/AID options to launch something else but I've never even thought to try that. Dual boot is practically redundant when you can install any dash as an app and with UnleashX you also have the controller shortcut options too where you can assign any button to launch any XBE at boot.

Obviously UnleashX has to load to a certain point first but there is really very little additional delay in launching the alternative dash or whatever. 

Edited by HDShadow

9 hours ago, madmon said:

Hey guys. So I'm working on a softmod and I wanted to try the dual boot with different dashes, and controlling the boots with eject and power. Any help would be much appreciated. 

The dual boot on the soft mod is designed for MS dash and the softmod dash. There was another thread recently which looked a possible work around in a reply by kaos enginner 

9 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

The dual boot on the soft mod is designed for MS dash and the softmod dash. There was another thread recently which looked a possible work around in a reply by kaos enginner 

I actually figured out by using an app rocking put into his softmoding tools I can control which it boots to by holding a button on the controller. I wanted to try and set it up to boot to xbmc4gamers then unleashx while holding a different button. It seemed to have worked in the end. I was just curious if I could tie the command to the power and eject buttons. 

You can, required you make a dual boot.settings file and add it to the root of E, run NKPatcher Settings > Dashboards > DualBoot 

you can then use the option to add your own dualboot path and enable it  (dualboot.settings file is made using the source on GitHub, in the source folder > NKPatcher > NKP 11)

• Thanks 1

thanks for the info Rocky. I did manage to get it working. I had to make a path E/alt dash/default.xbe(if memory serves me). Now I am having a small bug where the led is orange by default, is there a config file I can edit to change that if not it is not a huge issue, Its a friends xbox and hes adamant about being able to access the stock dash for his kid. 

1 hour ago, madmon said:

thanks for the info Rocky. I did manage to get it working. I had to make a path E/alt dash/default.xbe(if memory serves me). Now I am having a small bug where the led is orange by default, is there a config file I can edit to change that if not it is not a huge issue, Its a friends xbox and hes adamant about being able to access the stock dash for his kid. 

NKPatcher Settings > LED

• 3 years later...
On 6/5/2020 at 11:07 PM, madmon said:

This is just to indicate that the exploit loaded successfully, correct? @Rocky5

On 6/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, madmon said:

I'm curious why his kid would need the stock dash so bad lol.

It can already be loaded as an app. Just create a shorcut xbe and aim it at the xboxdash.xbe on c:, place that shorctcut xbe file in a folder called MSDash in the Apps folder and your done. Thats gotta be much easier than messing about with a dual boot surely.....

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

It can already be loaded as an app. Just create a shorcut xbe and aim it at the xboxdash.xbe on c:, place that shorctcut xbe file in a folder called MSDash in the Apps folder and your done. Thats gotta be much easier than messing about with a dual boot surely.....

This.

Also, do a hardmod! Softmodding is not even in the same realm...

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

This is just to indicate that the exploit loaded successfully, correct? @Rocky5

Yes. It changes it to orange after the softmod. That’s the default color but it can be changed. I haven’t done it in a while but I know it’s an option in the nkpatcher application that’s installed with the softmod. 

Edit: My bad. Just realized @Rocky5 already answered the question. :D 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Agreed. Like you said I’d just run it as an application rather than go through the headache of dual boot. I’m assuming they’re wanting to run insignia otherwise why bother with the stock dash. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Agreed. Like you said I’d just run it as an application rather than go through the headache of dual boot. I’m assuming they’re wanting to run insignia otherwise why bother with the stock dash. 

I think the MS dash just needs to be installed as I can launch games from XBMC4Gamers and connect to Insignia without issues....

• Like 1