OGXbox.com

FatX Woes

SergioDeNice

Now I feel even more lost.

To sum it up :

I have a stock unmodded 1.6b Xbox and I want to softmod it and swap its HD for a bigger one

I do not have access to another working xbox than the aforementioned

I haven't been able (yet) to find a USB stick that I can use to perform the Splinter Cell softmod. I managed to format one on the xbox but copying to it works in the most bizarre ways (see my first post)

So what are my other options? Can I extract the eeprom.bin via Xboxhdm2.3?

TIA

Serge

9 hours ago, SergioDeNice said:

> You don’t need Xplorer360 for this just a copy of Xboxhdm2.3 and Rocky5 variations softmod for xboxhdm2.3

Do you know a good howto guide for this?

Watch this video but as you don’t have a hdd key do not lock the hdd. Do not turn off your Xbox before reconnecting your hdd.

It is safer if you have another hdd that is not locked, this means you can build your softmod hdd and then just swap the hdds once you get error 12, then if something goes wrong you can just plug back in you retail hdd.

You do not need to be a complete install you just need to add Rocky5’s installer folder. But you may find it easier just to follow the video, I recommend a 2nd hdd in case you have a problem as the only way to fix it would be to mod chip or to read the eeprom.

40 minutes ago, SergioDeNice said:

Now I feel even more lost.

To sum it up :

I have a stock unmodded 1.6b Xbox and I want to softmod it and swap its HD for a bigger one

I do not have access to another working xbox than the aforementioned

I haven't been able (yet) to find a USB stick that I can use to perform the Splinter Cell softmod. I managed to format one on the xbox but copying to it works in the most bizarre ways (see my first post)

So what are my other options? Can I extract the eeprom.bin via Xboxhdm2.3?

TIA

Serge

This is what I use for loading files via a usb.
Loading the game saves is the easiest way for you to do the softmod, the hotswap would be my 2nd option.

SANDISK MICRO SD 1GB CARD https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000EYAEK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZGF2Eb1J7SADT

B6D8DABD-490E-4FDF-894A-138B69BFBB7C.jpeg

Edited by Ging3rguy

The key thing here is the unlocking of the HDD during the hot-swap to PC to be able, in SergioDeNice's case, to install the XBHDM created softmod.

That's what the problem is and why I posted about my similar issue: swapping under error 12 does not work on some systems or particular circumstances.

There's no way I could have messed up the IDE cable swaps under error 12 between Xboxes; I've hot-swapped (unlocked obviously) new HDDs for Chimp cloning purposes dozens of times successfully.

If it was just a simple matter of disconnecting the disc drive, booting the Xbox to get error 12 and doing a quick hot-swap to the PC as the OP wants to do we'd both be laughing. But it clearly is not. Maybe it works better in reverse as Ging3rGuy suggested ie. hot-swapping a new unlocked, XBHDM created softmodded HDD to a running stock Xbox under error 12.

However I've have been trying to do that same thing between Xboxes and it just has not worked. The new HDD on reboot goes to error 5. 

The way I successfully did an unlock on a stock drive and connect it to a PC was to hot-swap at around the time the Microsoft logo appears under the Xbox logo. But it took multiple attempts before I found that point, so I've never repeated the exercise.      

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The key thing here is the unlocking of the HDD during the hot-swap to PC to be able, in SergioDeNice's case, to install the XBHDM created softmod.

That's what the problem is and why I posted about my similar issue: swapping under error 12 does not work on some systems or particular circumstances.

There's no way I could have messed up the IDE cable swaps under error 12 between Xboxes; I've hot-swapped (unlocked obviously) new HDDs for Chimp cloning purposes dozens of times successfully.

If it was just a simple matter of disconnecting the disc drive, booting the Xbox to get error 12 and doing a quick hot-swap to the PC as the OP wants to do we'd both be laughing. But it clearly is not. Maybe it works better in reverse as Ging3rGuy suggested ie. hot-swapping a new unlocked, XBHDM created softmodded HDD to a running stock Xbox under error 12.

However I've have been trying to do that same thing between Xboxes and it just has not worked. The new HDD on reboot goes to error 5. 

The way I successfully did an unlock on a stock drive and connect it to a PC was to hot-swap at around the time the Microsoft logo appears under the Xbox logo. But it took multiple attempts before I found that point, so I've never repeated the exercise.      

I think you have about 5 seconds to do the swap with the unmodded hdd once you have pulled the drive. If you are using a 2nd drive you don’t have this problem as it is already unlocked.
So have you managed to use xboxhdm2.3 to build a new drive and put Rocky5’s variation installer for xboxhdm2.3 into the C partition?

Edited by Ging3rguy

No I built the new softmodded HDD using AID on my chipped Xbox.

Unless the second part of that ^ is essential it seemed the easiest way of doing it rather than use XBHDM. 

Unfortunately I have another problem now, in fact two.

The used Xbox concerned was sold as having a working (Philips) disc drive and was the main reason I bought it. It was working initially, I tested it on another Xbox. But it now appears to have partially died. It ejects/closes and discs spin up as but I'm now getting a consistent error 12 even though its all cabled up correctly. I've swapped out the old IDE cable to a known working one with no change and when I tried it in that same other Xbox again it also produced the error 12.

I was suspicious that the disc drive might have been messed about with as two screw were missing from the drive casing but this has come out of the blue. The drive had the IDE cable taken out yesterday, when the box was turned off, to force error 12 for the HDD Chimp hot-swaps I was trying but apart from that I've not touched it.

The second problem is that although I taken the HDD and disc drive caddies out before I'd not noticed that three of the 6.3v 3300uF caps are domed and I'm pretty sure the clock cap has leaked a bit too. So if I want this particular Xbox to work 100% again, and I do, I'm going to have replace those before doing anything else.😟   

Yes you should remove the clock cap and scrub the board with isopropyl and a tooth brush and replace the other caps as well

As for the DVD drive there was a post not long ago about a drive giving errors and it was a philips as well.

This was a pic of the board and the black circles (and that's just some) look like the VIA points are corroded and the yellow are not much better 

3NSWoNg.thumb.jpg.63903338f12b4b6c74384864f80eb181.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes you should remove the clock cap and scrub the board with isopropyl and a tooth brush and replace the other caps as well

As for the DVD drive there was a post not long ago about a drive giving errors and it was a philips as well.

This was a pic of the board and the black circles (and that's just some) look like the VIA points are corroded and the yellow are not much better 

3NSWoNg.thumb.jpg.63903338f12b4b6c74384864f80eb181.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yes, it was a fault on the dvd drive pcb, I had another non working Philips and swapped the pcbs, I was hoping the laser might have been okay, I still have 2 dead drives but I worked out the fault was on the pcb. I will try a pot tweak at some point.

No I built the new softmodded HDD using AID on my chipped Xbox.

Unless the second part of that ^ is essential it seemed the easiest way of doing it rather than use XBHDM. 

It shouldn’t, I’ll try it your way and see what results I get.

Using Rocky5’s When I turned on the Xbox for the 1st time it asked  me if I wanted to softmod and then It did the install.

I also then deleted everything on the hdd in file explorer trying to f### it up and on reboot it asked me if I wanted to fix the softmod I had just deleted.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you resolve this?

i can copy save games to my usb from the Xbox. When I plug into pc, xplorer360 can’t see the saves. 
if I use xplorer360 to move saves onto the stick, the Xbox dosent see them.

ive, FTP’ d the saves over to my chipped Xbox and tried to copy from Xbox to the usb, but get failed a quarter of way through copying soft nodding tool every time.

tried 4 different usb sticks. All recognised, but same issues xx

This will fix it

932003081_download(1).jpg.eb5597586e8e7c2e0537931c5c2ecffb.jpg

But seriously find the smallest size USB you can,I have some 64 megabyte ones that work in the Xbox but one of them is not seen by explorer 360 and both can be read by FATXplorer.

Cheers

SS Dave

8 hours ago, Rochdaleguy said:

Did you resolve this?

i can copy save games to my usb from the Xbox. When I plug into pc, xplorer360 can’t see the saves. 
if I use xplorer360 to move saves onto the stick, the Xbox dosent see them.

ive, FTP’ d the saves over to my chipped Xbox and tried to copy from Xbox to the usb, but get failed a quarter of way through copying soft nodding tool every time.

tried 4 different usb sticks. All recognised, but same issues xx

Does Xplorer360 actually see the flash drive ie. when you open it does it show Partition 0 in the left hand pane at the top?

Try clicking on that to actually open the drive.

After that drag and drop the files/folders you're trying to copy to it into the right pane rather than using the flakey 'Insert' option.

Does Xplorer360 actually see the flash drive ie. when you open it does it show Partition 0 in the left hand pane at the top?

Try clicking on that to actually open the drive.

After that drag and drop the files/folders you're trying to copy to it into the right pane rather than using the flakey 'Insert' option.

Yeah it sees the drives, and clicking on it dosent show any contents. Also tried dragging and dropping and inserting.

going to try fatxplorer next.

all else fails. I’ll buy a job lot of used low capacity usb sticks From eBay.

6 minutes ago, Rochdaleguy said:

Yeah it sees the drives, and clicking on it dosent show any contents. Also tried dragging and dropping and inserting.

going to try fatxplorer next.

all else fails. I’ll buy a job lot of used low capacity usb sticks From eBay.

Get a sandisk 1 GB micro sd card with usb adaptor.

1 hour ago, Rochdaleguy said:

I have a 1gb Sandisk but it’s a Sony duo and wouldn’t know how I’d connect that to it.

picking up a 1gb micro sd these days would be more expensive than a job lot of old usb sticks. Have lots of old micro sd cards but all duff now and won’t read in anything.

I posted this in another thread, it’s a pretty old list now but you need a usb stick that is 4GB or less, most new sticks tend to be bigger or just don’t work.

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/USB_Mass_Storage_support_in_XBMC_for_Xbox

Managed to sort it.

the fact the drives were being recognised By the Xbox etc got me thinking.

I added a usb cable extension to the USB adapter in the Xbox and now everything copies back and forward to the SanDisk Cruiser micro 4gb just fine.

dodgy cheap USB adapter connection was the issue. Not the sticks I had.

3 hours ago, Rochdaleguy said:

Managed to sort it.

the fact the drives were being recognised By the Xbox etc got me thinking.

I added a usb cable extension to the USB adapter in the Xbox and now everything copies back and forward to the SanDisk Cruiser micro 4gb just fine.

dodgy cheap USB adapter connection was the issue. Not the sticks I had.

Good to know. 🙂

On 6/5/2020 at 9:12 PM, HDShadow said:

The second problem is that although I taken the HDD and disc drive caddies out before I'd not noticed that three of the 6.3v 3300uF caps are domed and I'm pretty sure the clock cap has leaked a bit too. So if I want this particular Xbox to work 100% again, and I do, I'm going to have replace those before doing anything else.😟 

The 3300uF low/ultra-low ESR 6.3Vdc 105 degree C rated electrolytic caps may be causing voltage level anomalies and the DVD drive is not being powered properly which could be causing the error 12 problem.

• Like 1

I have actually replaced those caps and the clock cap now but I've been 'reconditioning', repairing and cleaning that Xbox so its been almost completely dismantled for most of the last month whilst I've been doing that so I've not had the chance to test the DVD again.

BTW one thing I discovered is that the metal shielding from a v1.6 does not fit in an earlier version Xbox. I thought it was just the PSU board which should not be swapped so I took out the rusty shielding from the Xbox I'm working on and thought my spare parts collection replacement which just happens to be from a v1.6 would be OK.

NO!

The earlier Xbox cases have an extra MB screw mounting position about 10cm from the back of the case roughly in line with AV port. The v1.6 metal shielding does not have a hole cut to accommodate that but because of the shielding's flexibility you might not notice it. Luckily I did but I dread to think what might have happened otherwise.