OGXbox.com

FatX Woes

SergioDeNice

HI there,

I am trying to softmod my Xbox using a male joypad to female USB cable + Splinter Cell.

The only compatible USB stick I could find at home is an old generic 1GB.

The Xbox will detect and format it. Xplorer360 xill detect and write to it.

Then everything starts getting weird.

I can copy a game save on the Xbox from HDD to USB stick via dashboard. The Xbox will afterwards correctly see it.

I can copy the SC game saves on the PC from HDD to USB stick via Xplorer360. And after a disconnect/connect cycle they will still be visible.

But neither can see what the other does on the very same USB stick. Xplorer360 doesn't see the old game save and the dashboard doesn't see the SC game saves.

I am going slighly mad here, please help!

BR

Serge

You copy  the  2 folders (5553000C and 21585554) from you PC to the USB that was formatted by the Xbox then using MS dash memory manager copy both games saves to the Xbox hard drive and if there is old game saves with the same mames remove them 1st.

Now load the game in the drive and reboot the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Problem is, the dashboard doesn't see 5553000C nor 21585554.

Modus operandi:

Put usb stick in xbox. Format it.

Put usb stick in PC, copy 5553000C and 21585554

Connect/siconnect usb stick from PC. 5553000C and 21585554 still visible

Put usb stick in xbox. No save visible.

Copy old save from xbox to stick (JB 007 IIRC)

Connect/siconnect usb stick from xbox. Old save still visible.

Put usb stick in PC. Old save not visible. 5553000C and 21585554 still visible.

Disconnect mind from problem - brain is stuck in infinite loop :(

BR

Serge

Have you tried a different USB , I have 2 X 64meg USB's and the Xbox can see both but the PC running xplorer360 can only see one of them.

I have found the best way to get the files to a memory device is in a modded Xbox via FTP.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What you can also do, is disconnect the dvd drive from the Xbox, then boot it up. This should unlock the hdd. Next disconnect the hdd ide cable and connect the hdd to your pc either via ide to USB adaptor or directly into the pc using the ide cable.

Once your pc detects the hdd, run xplorer360 and drop the save files into the correct save file folder.

Next reconnect the hdd to the Xbox ide cable and reconnect the disc drive. Restart the Xbox, the saves should appear in the save folder.

Note: the Xbox must remain powered the entire time, so make sure the video cables are connected. Hope this helps.

Just tried that. Xplorer360 (beta6) does not see the drive.

Sometimes unplugging the ide cable from the HDD will cause it to stop/restart spinning. I tried disconnecting it in the mosty gentle way and setting it as master (was cable select). 

When in cable select mode, the xbox immediately shows the "needs to be serviced" screen with a number in the top left corner.

When in master mode, this screen appears only when disconnecting the drive.

After that, same result : Xplorer360 does not see the drive (windows 10 sees it as raw)

What did I do wrong?

BR

Serge

25 minutes ago, SergioDeNice said:

Just tried that. Xplorer360 (beta6) does not see the drive.

Sometimes unplugging the ide cable from the HDD will cause it to stop/restart spinning. I tried disconnecting it in the mosty gentle way and setting it as master (was cable select). 

When in cable select mode, the xbox immediately shows the "needs to be serviced" screen with a number in the top left corner.

When in master mode, this screen appears only when disconnecting the drive.

After that, same result : Xplorer360 does not see the drive (windows 10 sees it as raw)

What did I do wrong?

BR

Serge

Have you added the msvcr71.dll file to Xplorer360 folder and run it as administrator?

Ouch, this is a complex tool. I tried to "build a new xbox hd" since this is my second goal (1st softmod 2nd swap for a 1GB SATA HD).

But I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing. :(

And I don't know what a "hotswap" is

I understand I have to dump my xbox's eeprom somehow. Don't know how though.

Edited by SergioDeNice

So you are trying to make a 1tb hard drive for a Xbox 

Do you have the HDD key from the Xbox you are making it for

And is this for the damages Xbox that locks up on booting

Cheers

SS Dave

You cannot just attach the hdd from an un modded Xbox to xboxhdm2.3 unless you use an epprom reader to get the hdd key or by doing a hotswap. To do a hotswap you need to unplug the ide cable from your dvd drive then turn on your Xbox this will give you an error 12, this will mean your hdd is unlocked. Do not turn off the Xbox with out reattaching the hdd and don’t lock it before reattaching it to the Xbox.

You don’t need Xplorer360 for this just a copy of Xboxhdm2.3 and Rocky5 variations softmod for xboxhdm2.3.

That's ^^ essentially the problem I been having over the past two days with the error 16 HDD I mentioned in another thread here. I disconnect the disc drive to instead get error 12 but the HDD unlock does not work on a Win7 SP1 (64 bit) PC. It did not work on my old WinXP SP3 (32 bit) either when I tried the same thing years ago.

Today I tried with Chimp using  a hot-swap to a softmodded machine. As described in an old post by Rocky5 the HDD was set to Cable Select. If set to Slave you don't get an error 16 the Xbox eventually decides there's no HDD and goes to error 7.

First I tried an error 16 hot-swap on the Chimp 261812 v1.01 swap screen. Result - Chimp hung when I pressed A.

Tried swapping on the dash but that corrupted Chimp, reporting no Chimp default.xbe found. That led me to the conclusion that using CS, even though the other HDD was on Master, was actually trying to use the hot-swap HDD as Master.

So next time I bought on the error 16 again but before the hot-swap pulled the jumper so it was on Slave. Chimp still hung after pressing A.

Many variations tried under error 16 including both set to CS but all failed.

What eventually got Chimp working was doing it under either error 12 (disc drive disconnected) or error 7 (the aforementioned way) but complete with the jumper swap to Slave immediately before the IDE cable swap. It reported additional errors with hdb (the Slave) during the Chimp boot process and ended up warning that it was locked and needed unlocking.

Now into Chimp what to do? Scanned the two HDD: both identified correctly but hdb reported a locked with maximum security. Tried unlocking from the MB which as expected did nothing. Same result using TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE.

Afterwards I tried the Fix Error 16 option anyway and something was going on with repeated message about hdb no DRQ (?) and reporting I/O errors so I let it run for an hour but whatever it was doing I realised was futile so ended the process.

The point is forcing error 12 is clearly not unlocking the this particular error 16 HDD. Hot-swapping under error 16 breaks Chimp if you leave the jumper on CS or swap to Slave before the hot-swap.

This confirms the reasons why yesterday I could not get the PC to initialise the HDD - it needs to be unlocked or perhaps not locked with maximum security for Xplorer360 or XBHDM USB to even see it. None of the recommended techniques appear to work.

Is it possible to get an error 16 on a HDD that is not from that particular Xbox? That's the only explanation I can think of at this point.